Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Kx Catch-in-Focus not working

I have two manual focus lenses. A Pentax M 50mm and a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm. I have failed miserably trying to get catch in focus to work with either. The settings/procedure I am using is:
1. Set AF in camera settings mode to AF.S. (Note that even though this displays in the custom menu as AF.S, when I press the info button it still shows as MF!
2. Set the focus switch to AF.
3. Set aperture ring(22) to 2.
4. Set Catch-in-Focus(21) to 2.

Set focus correct to an object and then point the camera at something very out of focus. Press shutter fully and before I get a chance to move the camera around to my subject, bingo, I get an out of focus shot... every time.

I know this isn't supposed to work with the kit DAL lenses but can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong with the manual lenses. Neither manual lens has an 'A' setting. Kx firmware is at 1.02.

Really appreciate some guidance.

David

05-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you're doing everything right. Try aiming at a subject while holding the release and turning the focus ring. Also, set your AF point to Center AF. It may be seeing Something and releasing if you have a moving AF point.

As for the MF, Try turning off CIF and verifying that you cannot take a photo with your manual lens unless you've achieved focus. I know you don't have the red focus point confirmations but you do have the hexagon if I'm not mistaken.

05-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
If I aim at any subject, in focus or not and with switch set to MF or AF, when I press the shutter I get a picture. If I turn off CIF, the same is true. I already have the AF point set to center.

If the switch is set to MF, CIF is off and the subject is not in focus, are you saying the camera shouldn't allow me to take a picture? It does allow me to take the picture! Is this a problem or the problem?
05-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Ok. In order for CIF to work, the contacts on the lens mount have to be shorted. This is one reason you'll see people talking about using foil on the mount with M42 type lenses. I'm going to assume here that your AF lenses do auto focus when you put them on the camera. Try these.

1. Clean the contacts both the lens mount and clean the rear mount on the lens. Perhaps there is just enough oxidation to prevent the lens from shorting the contacts.

2. With one of your AF lenses (this is a bit of a balancing act). While pressing the shutter release with one finger, ALSO press and hold the lens release button (the one you press to remove the lens) so the AF motor just spins. I use the Johnny Cash finger. Then turn the focus ring to get your focus trap (CIF). I use CIF with my FA Limiteds this way. It's noisy, sounds like the camera is losing its mind, but it works. Just to verify that CIF is working.

05-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
In order for CIF to work, the contacts on the lens mount have to be shorted.
I agree with Jeff. I had to remove some of the black paint on one of my lenses with some fine sand paper to achieve that. With some M42 lenses like Takumar you have to make shims to achieve that. Since I've discovered CIF I almost always use my manual lenses with it activated
05-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff/Christo,

1. Ok, ref cleaning the lens base, there is a wider silver area to the outside which has the bayonet and then inside that is the aperture lever and that whole internal rim area is black paint. I have cleaned/polished the silver area and I see no corrosion or oxidation at all but is that the bit that needs cleaning or am I supposed to be cleaning the black painted area or even gently sanding it??

2. When I followed your procedure with the kit DAL AF lens, and focused it manually(whilst pressing the shutter release and the lens release), it didn't release the shutter when I manually achieved focus. So that presumably says CIF isn't working on my camera?

Hopefully this doesn't mean I have a broken camera? Do I need to be trying it with the silver paper trick and if so, whats the procedure there?

David
05-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

1. No you shouldn't have to sand anything. The silver area is what I'm referring to in addition to the contacts on the camera itself.

2. Did you turn CIF back on in the custom menu? It isn't really an instant thing and is sometimes more difficult to learn than it is to use in practice.

Try this... just for grins. Put your AF lens on your camera and take a picture of an object, letting the camera do the focusing. Then aiming at the same point, same lens, same settings, try the CIF. Turn the focus ring somewhat slowly because as I say it takes some getting use to. Try it though with a close focused object.

With the lenses you are using, you shouldn't have to go the route of putting the foil on the contacts.

No. I don't think your camera is broken, not if it takes photos under normal conditions.

This photo was taken using an FA43 Limited on a 12mm extension tube (which decouples the AF as I'm describing with the lens release) using CIF.

05-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you have a lens with a silver metal mount, and when you mount it on the camera, it does make contact with the camera contacts, then the lens is not the problem. You just hace to look at all your settings again. I'll check on my settings when get to my camera in an hour or so, but don't worry, I know I also struggled a bit to get it al right in the beginning
05-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi duetto96,

I think your problem is that you are in AF-A mode (shooting in Auto Pict mode) This allows the camera to choose between AF-S and AF-C mode according to what's appropriate for the scene mode.

Try switching to Av or P mode, and make sure it's in AF-S. You should not be able to take a pic unless the AF system indicates an in-focus subject. CIF should then work as expected with your manual focus K mount lenses.

Scott
05-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I think your problem is that you are in AF-A mode
My K-x does work both AF-S and AF-A but not with AF-C. If you are using M, K, A series lens (i, e K mount), no shorting necessary (already done by the lens) but if you are using M42 lens and using original adapter then you have to short with aluminum tape or similar. And M mode is also ok with CinF, not just Av (for non auto aperture lenses all modes are Av mode but M). Everything you have done so far are all correct steps.
QuoteOriginally posted by duetto96 Quote
1. Set AF in camera settings mode to AF.S. (Note that even though this displays in the custom menu as AF.S, when I press the info button it still shows as MF! 2. Set the focus switch to AF. 3. Set aperture ring(22) to 2. 4. Set Catch-in-Focus(21) to 2.
Just in case any other setting is interfering, what you can do is 1) reset all coustom function (Menu C4). Now change only two thing 1) Allow Aperture ring (C4-22) and 2) Catch-in-Focus 2 (C3-21). {I just did it to check}, Keep the Camera setting same as before (ie, AF-A or AF-S).
*Info will show MF, I used a K55/1.8 to test.
If it does not work you have contact shorting problem. As suggested by Jeff, cleaning might help. If the kit lens work properly, then it must be the lens mount, clean that carefully. Good luck? No you do not need good luck for CinF on a Pentax camera.

Last edited by ultraviolet; 05-15-2011 at 10:33 AM.
05-15-2011, 01:36 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi duetto96,

I think your problem is that you are in AF-A mode (shooting in Auto Pict mode) This allows the camera to choose between AF-S and AF-C mode according to what's appropriate for the scene mode.

Try switching to Av or P mode, and make sure it's in AF-S. You should not be able to take a pic unless the AF system indicates an in-focus subject. CIF should then work as expected with your manual focus K mount lenses.

Scott
Hi Scott, I have been trying every mode systematically in an attempt to get this working but mostly in Aperture priority or Manual mode so I don't think its AutoPict causing the problem. Definately in AF-S mode in the menu but as I said earlier, it does display as MF when looking in INFO.

QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
My K-x does work both AF-S and AF-A but not with AF-C. If you are using M, K, A series lens (i, e K mount), no shorting necessary (already done by the lens) but if you are using M42 lens and using original adapter then you have to short with aluminum tape or similar. And M mode is also ok with CinF, not just Av (for non auto aperture lenses all modes are Av mode but M). Everything you have done so far are all correct steps.

Just in case any other setting is interfering, what you can do is 1) reset all coustom function (Menu C4). Now change only two thing 1) Allow Aperture ring (C4-22) and 2) Catch-in-Focus 2 (C3-21). {I just did it to check}, Keep the Camera setting same as before (ie, AF-A or AF-A).
*Info will show MF, I used a K55/1.8 to test.
If it does not work you have contact shorting problem. As suggested by Jeff, cleaning might help. If the kit lens work properly, then it must be the lens mount, clean that carefully. Good luck? No you do not need good luck for CinF on a Pentax camera.
Hi Ultraviolet,

Using 2 different manual lenses as previously mentioned. I have cleaned both and also the mount and contacts on the camera. When I say 'clean' they aren't or weren't exactly dirty! I didn't get any residue off to speak of and they aren't marked, corroded or in the least bit visually stained or 'dirty'. If by cleaning we are talking chemicals, I haven't done that.

I reset everything in the custom menu back to default and just had C4-22 and C3-21 enabled as suggested. Used exactly the same scenario which is to point at a subject, make sure it is really out of focus. Press shutter all the way down and at this point the shutter is released and I have a very out of focus picture.

The camera seems to work fine in all other respects but I'm starting to think CiF is a function that isn't going to work on my camera with either of my 2 K mount manual lenses.

My frustration is that we think we are about to have a litter of hedgehogs appear in our greenhouse and I was desperate to try and capture some images of them coming out their nest for the first time without spooking them too much.

Thanks for everyones help, it has been greatly appreciated.

David
05-15-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by duetto96 Quote
Hi Ultraviolet, Using 2 different manual lenses as previously mentioned.
Hi David, only difference between my K-x to yours is the Firmware (mine is 1.01). Which M lens you used? I still believe it just shorting problem if not the firmware. Hope some one with 1.02 firmware can confirm.
See the bottom pic. Clean the marked area with isopropanol or similar, so no dirt or transperent resedue is left (extreme case fine grit sand paper). Just to check hypothesis you can put a piece of aluminum foil on that portion. Hope this will work for you.

Last edited by ultraviolet; 03-26-2017 at 09:16 PM.
05-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi David,

It sounds to me like the Focus Priority default for AF-S isn't working properly in the camera. When in Av or P mode and AF-S, shooting one of your AF lenses, will it actuate the shutter even if the lens has not locked focus? In other words, if your lens starts completely out of focus and you fully press the shutter, will it take the shot as soon as you press the button, or will it wait for the lens to focus, then actuate the shutter as soon as the focus locks? If it's the former, then there's a fault in your camera, and this is the reason why CIF doesn't work.

Scott
05-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #14

Original Poster
Ultraviolet,

Thanks for taking the effort to notate the lens photo. I don't have isopropanol to hand unfortunately but I'll pick some up tomorrow. I'm a little suspicious that both my manual lenses would need to be chemically cleaned. Anyway, in the meantime I tried the foil test. It makes for a very tight fit to get the lens (SMC Pentax M 50mm) mounted but it did lock on. Unfortunately I had exactly the same result as before. When I took the lens back off, the foil had moulded itself to the camera contacts so I'm pretty sure it covered/shorted at the correct point. I guess this rules out dirty lens mounts?

Scott,

In AF-S mode, AF (DAL) lens and with the camera lens switch on AF, it focuses first and then activates the shutter. In AF-S mode, AF(DAL) lens and with the camera lens switch on MF, it triggers the shutter while out of focus, just like it does with my (2) manual focus lenses. It works the same with the AF lens irrespective of whether I also have CiF enabled or not.

David
05-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
Hi David, only difference between my K-x to yours is the Firmware (mine is 1.01). Which M lens you used? I still believe it just shorting problem if not the firmware. Hope some one with 1.02 firmware can confirm.
Forgot to mention, I had this problem on release 1.00 and read somewhere that someone with a similar problem had resolved it by upgrading the firmware to 1.01. Thats the main reason I upgraded the firmware but it was release 1.02.