Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma lenses and Pentax body marriage

Hello guys. I really hope someone can help. The thing is that from times to time, I think of changing the system. All of that because of some problems that I always have with my camera and lenses that I have. Here, in Moldova, where I live, are not so many Pentax users, that is why I am alone in my problem and can't compare what am I doing with my camera (maybe I am ndoing something wrong?). I have a Pentax k20D body, and 4 Sigma lenses: 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM, 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM, 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro and 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APOMacro HSM II. All lenses with 2 Hoya Pro1 Digital MC Uv(0) and Marumi MC-UV filters. So, the problem is that I almost always have kind of blurred images. The images are not 100 sharp. Previously I had a Pentax k10D body. I have changed it to K20D. The same problem. Even if I photograph a person from 5 meters, on a tripod, mirror lock-up, shake reduction OFF - the sharpness of the picture is not what i think it should be. I take off the UV filter - the same thing. I heard that Sigma lenses need professional adjustment with the used body. Right? Should I do that? From another point of view there is a camera function that permits that adjustment. Right. But the thing is, that the camera should recognize the lense, there should appear a serial number, ID, or something like that, because some lenses have front focus, some back focus. This is why the camera have to recognize the lense to apply adjustments personally for each lense. Well, the camera seems to make no difference between my wide-angle zoom, standard zoom, standard prime and telephoto lenses.
OOOOO, that's a long speech! ;-) Does anyone knows the solution for this problem? By the way, I think and my wife confirms that my hands are totally OK.

05-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #2

Did you try K20D AF calibration?
05-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd start by posting some sample images that demonstrate the problem. It's possible your expectations are simply too high. I'm assuming you are familiar with the concept of DOF and aren't looking for sharpness outside the plane of focus.
05-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #4

There are few possibilities: dirty lens, dirty sensor, or camera AF needs calibration. Of course you know all that. All the lenses you have are very good and sharp according to many reviews out there. IMHO maybe your expectation is too high (to much pixel peeping?) or you are not shooting at the optimum focal/aperture for sharpness.

Respectfully,

Peter

05-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
puctures

I bought my lenses after reading a lot of reviews. Lenses and sensor are clean. I attach a picture. The focus was in the center of the red circle. I was only testing the autofocus. ISO 100, f4, 1/80sec on tripod. My wife wasn't moving. According Hyperfocal Distance and Depth of Field Calculator - DOFMaster, at 165mm focal length, at 5-6 m, a should have about 14-21cm depth of field. I think all the settings are quite OK for tripod shot. But, I see no front or back focus. The picture is only out of focus.
Attached Images

05-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is there a ONLY camera AF calibration? I thought there is only a camera calibration with a lense attached. Anyway, how do I perform a camera AF calibration?
05-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks like it's got a FF problem. Dial in some AF compensation and you should be fine (hopefully).
05-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Have you tried manually focussing the lenses; are results the same or better?

05-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #9

I calibrated my K10D before. It's based on one lens but the result is good for all lenses I have. I don't know about K20D.
05-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank You guys. Well, I have done some tests, but I realized that each lens needs different AF compensation for best results. As You understand a 70-200mm lens will need different AF compensation as a 10-20mm lens. Taking something in between? I am not used with Nikon and Canon, but I am almost sure that they don't have that problems. Am I wrong?
And should the camera recognize some how the lens? Should there appear a serial number, ID, or something like that? How does the camera recognize the lens if I do an AF compensation for ONE lens and not for all?
05-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
AF adjustment -> Apply One -> The lens ID is displayed when obtained. Saves and applies an adjustment value for each lens type. GOOD! What if the lens ID is not obtained? Will the K20D still remember the different settings for each lens?
05-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marinb Quote
I am not used with Nikon and Canon, but I am almost sure that they don't have that problems. Am I wrong?
When it comes to 3rd party lens, it's the same. Sometimes, even C/N oem lenses have FF/BF problems.

AF adjustment -> Apply One -> The lens ID is displayed when obtained. Saves and applies an adjustment value for each lens type. GOOD! What if the lens ID is not obtained? Will the K20D still remember the different settings for each lens?
The lens you mentioned should all have lens ID.
05-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am sure all that lenses should have ID. So, the camera don't read/recognize the ID or only don't display that ID?.
05-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian

According Hyperfocal Distance and Depth of Field Calculator - DOFMaster, at 165mm focal length, at 5-6 m, a should have about 14-21cm depth of field.
Yes - meaning that at typical print sizes viewed from a typical distance, the results should be acceptably sharp to most people within that rang. But you're talking about pixel peeping at 100% - that's another matter entirely. It'd start by dividing the ordinary DOF by 10 to get a rough guess as to how much will appear criticially sharp when viewed at 100%.

QuoteQuote:
But, I see no front or back focus. The picture is only out of focus.
If it's truly "out of focus", then something else should be *in focus*, meaning it *is* BF or FF. I think what you mean to say here is that is simply *soft*. as in focus as it can be, but soft.

However, I don't think you can rule out FF or BB here, since there is nothing directly in front of or behind the subject to compare. The grass in front of the subject does *possibly* seem like it might be more in focus than the grass at her feet, but it's hard to tell, and in any event, given the field curvature you'd expect of any lens but a macro prime, the focus plane toward the edge of the frame *should* be front of the focus plane at the center of the frame.

Anyhow, if you want to test focus, that's why focus test charts were invented - to create a test in which you can actually see if your camera/lens has FF or BF. Even these aren't foolproof because of field curvature issues, but you would definitely need a *much* better controlled test than this to be able to say what might be going on in terms of focus.

But no question, that's softer than I'd expect for f/4 on an f/2.8 zoom. Assuming it's not FF or BF, I'd first wonder how sturdy was your tripod, if you used the 2-second timer, and if not, if you at least turned off SR. You mentioned you did these things on earlier tests, but I just thought I'd be sure.
05-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
Been using Sigma, Tamron and variety of Pentax lenses in my K20D, from Prime to Zoom lens including Macros and fisheyes. Every lens I have been individually set at my cameras AF adjustment (apply one setting). Aftermarket lenses have their own ID's that the K20D remembers every time you install it (this ID's doesn't show in exif also), once you set it in the camera your setting shouldn't change. Adjusting the FF and BF is very tricky, my Sigma lens is set always on the negative adjustments.

Please check this link AF adjustment test chart to help with the Pentax K20D Custom Setting No.34 - Digital Cameras - Zimbio
I've used this charts and find it very helpful, it gets you close to where you want your focus to be. Focusing is a preference, a lot or most of the lenses are softer wide open and sharper after 2 stops down, you cannot expect everything in your lens to be sharp. THERE IS NO PERFECT LENS, EVEN THE ONE THEY HAVE ON SATTELITES.

Be patient in doing your AF adjustments and take notes of your adjustment as well in case you erase it. Hope this helps.