Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
color correction please help

our house has the spiral type florescent bulbs that give off a color temperature that is closer to tungsten then old ballast florescent bulbs.
what type of gel could I use to correct this type of light? I realize that Photoshop can give good results, but when mixed light is involved, I think a gel is a better way to go

thanks

05-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

An 80A should get you close, but you will have to experiment a bit.
The 80 series filters are for correcting tungsten to daylight. 80A is the strongest, 80b is in the middle, 80C, the weakest.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 05-13-2011 at 07:44 PM.
05-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
An 80A should get you close, but you will have to experiment a bit.
The 80 series filters are for correcting tungsten to daylight. 80A is the strongest, 80b is in the middle, 80C, the weakest.
are these flash gels? I guess I should have asked the question better

thanks so far,

cheers
05-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've noticed that CFL's are now coming in several 'temperatures'. The local grocery store stocks 2700k, 5000k and 6500k. I think 2700k is what the older ones were.

Surprisingly there does not seem to be any price difference. I've replaced all the bulbs in my 'studio' with 5000k ones so everything is consistent.

05-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
are these flash gels? I guess I should have asked the question better

thanks so far,

cheers
Those are lens filters. You should be able to get similar gels though.
I got a swatch book from Roscoe a number of years ago and use the sample filters to gel my flash units.
05-16-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I recently got a pack of gels from Rosco and they're pretty useless to be honest!
Cut far too small for many flash-heads (they work well only on my AF240z) and not long enough to velcro (or attach in any other way) to the side of the flash head..
I have a load of larger cut gels with velcro tabs on the way but I'm £12 down on the Rosco's...
05-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I recently got a pack of gels from Rosco and they're pretty useless to be honest!
Cut far too small for many flash-heads (they work well only on my AF240z) and not long enough to velcro (or attach in any other way) to the side of the flash head..
I have a load of larger cut gels with velcro tabs on the way but I'm £12 down on the Rosco's...
They must have caught on. The swatches I have are almost big enough for my Metz 60 head.
Anyway, I did a bit of research, and I suspect what the OP wants will be along the lines of either a 1/4 blue or perhaps a 1/2 blue.
If nothing else, the modern Rosco swatches should be big enough to make a filter that will tell you what gel you need to buy.