Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-14-2011, 06:28 AM   #1

K20D exposure issue(?)

Even though I've been using my K20D for well over a year I've only just noticed this 'feature' in the viewfinder today and re-reading the manual I can't find anything that refers to it.

I'm taking a picture in Av mode (using multi segment metering), I half press the shutter, take a look at the viewfinder to check everything is ok, the EV bar is flashing dead centre and all the other indicators are to my satisfaction. I take the picture.

Looking back at the viewfinder, everything is still as it was but the EV bar is now flashing one notch below (under exposed). It does this every time.

Is this significant?

Malcolm

05-14-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Are the pics underexposed? If not I'd just chalk it up to electronic strangeness and call it good.
05-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If the results are to your satisfaction, then bimjo might be right. But, perhaps it might help, try this: take out the battery (out of the body not only the grip) an count till 10, then put it back and see if the EV bar is still flashing. This is some kind of a reboot.

Last edited by philippe; 05-14-2011 at 10:41 AM.
05-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
If this is a outdoor shooting, then a little more/less sun light could do that change, even if the composition is the same. If You are in a controlled indoor space, then... I noticed that only e very little change in the coming light could change the exposure reading value. So, from my point of view, there is no problem... probably ;-)

05-14-2011, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MalcolmS Quote
Even though I've been using my K20D for well over a year I've only just noticed this 'feature' in the viewfinder today and re-reading the manual I can't find anything that refers to it.

I'm taking a picture in Av mode (using multi segment metering), I half press the shutter, take a look at the viewfinder to check everything is ok, the EV bar is flashing dead centre and all the other indicators are to my satisfaction. I take the picture.

Looking back at the viewfinder, everything is still as it was but the EV bar is now flashing one notch below (under exposed). It does this every time.

Is this significant?

Malcolm
If you are using Av mode, you should not be seeing the EV bar at all, unless, of course, you enabled the auto-bracket feature. In which case, what you are seeing is expected. You probably got into that mode accidentally at some point or forgot to cancel the last time you used it.

Steve
05-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Inactive Account

You will see the EV bar (at least on the K5) if you've set an EV Comp to something other than 0.

05-15-2011, 02:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
Spot on Stevebrot! Thank you.

I do have Auto Bracket (3 shots) turned on and have it set to 0, -, + order. So having taken just the one shot the '-' would be flashing for the next shot. Well done, now I understand.

Malcolm

Last edited by MalcolmS; 05-15-2011 at 02:25 AM.
05-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You will see the EV bar (at least on the K5) if you've set an EV Comp to something other than 0.

This is correct. I should have qualified my message to read EV bar with flashing indicator.

Steve
05-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MalcolmS Quote
Spot on Stevebrot! Thank you.

I do have Auto Bracket (3 shots) turned on and have it set to 0, -, + order. So having taken just the one shot the '-' would be flashing for the next shot. Well done, now I understand.

Malcolm
You are not the first person to do this. I well remember the first time I accidentally stumbled into that mode. The camera suddenly seemed to have a mind of its own. I puzzled over it for some time until I saw the bracket icon in the top LCD.

Steve

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!