Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes, it depends. Each shot has its own needs.

Yes, slower is often better. (Oh how I miss ASA-12!)

Yes, drama can trump noise. For movement, raise the ISO.

But IMHO, noise looks worse in color and more dramatic in B&W.

In fact, only colors look better in color; everything else is better in B&W.
plus one to all this

I will have the camera set between 100-160 when it's nice out, move up to 200-400 when it's grey/overcast. beyond those settings the environment determines it for me.
Funnily enough on low iso shots when i convert to b/w i frequently add noise (grain) because it just doesn't seem right without it to an old film guy (and some things need the added texture)

05-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
plus one to all this

I will have the camera set between 100-160 when it's nice out, move up to 200-400 when it's grey/overcast. beyond those settings the environment determines it for me.
Funnily enough on low iso shots when i convert to b/w i frequently add noise (grain) because it just doesn't seem right without it to an old film guy (and some things need the added texture)
I always loved Tri X. With color, the slower films I liked better but I always got my best B&W with Tri X. Back in the day, ASA 400 was considered fast.
05-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I always loved Tri X. With color, the slower films I liked better but I always got my best B&W with Tri X. Back in the day, ASA 400 was considered fast.
and Tri-X pushes well, i've used it up to 3200, though some of the newer formulations push better
I love the gritty contrasty Tri X look
Colour I usually shot low iso slides like velvia so i went the opposite way and digital is a good sub for this idea with near noiseless images (and better DR than slide in most cases - though some of the new gen c41pnegative stuff is astounding in what it can do)
05-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote

Hee, I'm the same way, too: of course, it doesn't generally seem right to add ersatz grain, either. I just shoot at a fairly-high ISO most of the time, anyway, is what it often comes down to. (Apart from being not much of a bright-light person, anyway,) ... I think I just like it better. Gives more the sort of look I liked in old Ektachrome 64P, perhaps, but I actually rarely get down below 200. Probably what I should really do is get a bit more nuance out of my PP skills, but I'm used to treating films as palettes.

05-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If I'm just taking snaps, or if I know I'll be distracted by other things, I leave my K10D on P and let it choose it's own ISO between 100 and 800 (or 1000).