Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter

What to set for SR focal length when using TC?

I got a bargain on a Tele-takumar 200mm/5.6. Included in the kit was an M42 Asanuma 2x Teleconverter.

Am I correct in assuming that with the TC, I should set my K20D focal length to 400mm for SR? Will it even be possible to shoot much handheld with that setup or should I stick to a tripod?

05-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, 400mm (double the focal length) would be the correct setting. I'd recommend a tripod, as you'd be shooting at least F11.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, 400mm (double the focal length) would be the correct setting. I'd recommend a tripod, as you'd be shooting at least F11.
Thanks Adam. I hadn't thought about the aperture being slower as well.
06-15-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About that Asanuma?

Hi guys
Kevin, if ya get a chance could you post how you make out with the Asanuma as far as photo quality goes? I just got an Asanuma 1:3.5 35-105mm included in an auction on ebya. I won an auction for a Tamron "A" capable tele-converter ($29.00, F series) and this lens is included. I'm kinda looking forward to trying it out. I may even spring for some chrome and try it out with the ME Super that is part of the deal also
I did find info about the company at camerapedia here>Asanuma Sh?kai - Camerapedia
It looks like they've been around a while.
Maybe while yer at it you could post a shot or 2 with that new tele-tak?

06-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
Hi guys
Kevin, if ya get a chance could you post how you make out with the Asanuma as far as photo quality goes? I just got an Asanuma 1:3.5 35-105mm included in an auction on ebya. I won an auction for a Tamron "A" capable tele-converter ($29.00, F series) and this lens is included. I'm kinda looking forward to trying it out. I may even spring for some chrome and try it out with the ME Super that is part of the deal also
I did find info about the company at camerapedia here>Asanuma Sh?kai - Camerapedia
It looks like they've been around a while.
Maybe while yer at it you could post a shot or 2 with that new tele-tak?
I'll be glad to. I might have a chance to get some shots in the next couple of days. I was hoping to get the lunar eclipse tonight, but I understand it's not visible in my part of the world.
06-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonhock Quote
I just got an Asanuma 1:3.5 35-105mm included in an auction on ebya. I won an auction for a Tamron "A" capable tele-converter ($29.00, F series) and this lens is included.
Good deal! Just remember that the 2x TC multiplies everything by 2. So mounted on the TC, your 35-105/3.5 will be a 70-210/7.

@klh,
The Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 is splendid and vastly underrated. Speed demons disdain it, but it's a nice sharp lightweight tool, perfect for schlepping around to remote places. Pentax may have designed it as a backpacker's lens, eh?

But as Adam said, on a TC is gets real slow. A TC may also snuff some of the lens' magic. IMHO the best fate for an A-type TC is to remove the glass and use it as a macro / close-up tube. De-glassed like that, it will pull the TeleTak's focus in real close, great for florals and cat-faces.

A further comment on TC's: I have owned (and sold) many in PK, M42, and other mounts, under many brand names. Many of those with different brand names appear to be identical. Except for major-brand TC's, I suspect many were churned out by generic lensmakers. Premier TC's matched to specific (usually longer) lenses may work fine. Generic TC's not matched to specific lenses may be NOT so fine. They're always a crap-shoot. Good luck!

Last edited by RioRico; 06-15-2011 at 07:53 PM.
06-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
with and without 2x TC

Here's the Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 at f/8.

Same shot with the Asanuma 2x Teleconverter still at f/8 (relative f/16). It was hard to focus due to blackout of my focusing screen.

I am surprised at the relatively good quality. It introduces a slight amount of CA, but not bad at all. What do you think?
06-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
The Tele-Takumar 200/5.6 is splendid and vastly underrated. Speed demons disdain it, but it's a nice sharp lightweight tool, perfect for schlepping around to remote places. Pentax may have designed it as a backpacker's lens, eh?
I agree, it seems to be a fun lens for hiking.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
IMHO the best fate for an A-type TC is to remove the glass and use it as a macro / close-up tube.
I just don't think I could bring myself to do that! Besides, I have a nice extension tube set.

Last edited by klh; 06-17-2011 at 03:31 PM.