Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
How do I re size a picture file to make an avatar?

Help anyone.

I have been unsuccesful trying to create and avatar. I have silkypix software, photoshop elements, and kodak easyshare software. How do I take an existing photo and resize it to use for an avatar. Then how do I add that to my profile?
I feel stupid asking but for some reason this seems to have me spinning my wheels. I have looked in a lot of places but must have missed something in the threads because I can't find any info on this process.
Thanks in advance for your help with this everyone.

05-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This isn't a site/forum issue. It's a basic photo editing question.
moving to the beginners' forum.
05-16-2011, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

You can shrink it down to whatever size the forum prefers. In this case it's 80x80 I believe, using your graphics software. Then you save it as a jpeg or gif. In the user CP section there is usually a way to load up an avatar on the server that the site uses or you can probably load it up to an online photo site and put a link in for the forum to use. Actually it's often better with such small graphics to crop to a focused in part of the image you want to use as some images the detail is lost if you try to use the whole pic and make it that small. You zoom in, take only the major part of the image and it works better.
05-16-2011, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Download a copy of Irfanview... really very easy to resize jpg's... In fact, that's all I use it for...

05-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In any case, as mentioned, it's not a Pentax or forum-specific question - it's a question about he specific software you use. the answer would be found in the documentation for the specific software you are using. Usually the option would be called "resize".
05-16-2011, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sawicksted Quote
Help anyone.

I have been unsuccesful trying to create and avatar. I have silkypix software, photoshop elements, and kodak easyshare software. How do I take an existing photo and resize it to use for an avatar. Then how do I add that to my profile?
I feel stupid asking but for some reason this seems to have me spinning my wheels. I have looked in a lot of places but must have missed something in the threads because I can't find any info on this process.
Thanks in advance for your help with this everyone.
I believe Photoshop E will be the easiest to do this...

Open PSE> along top menu should be > Image > scroll down > Resize > scroll to Image Size... if it's going to be a square image you will end up needing to probably crop it... then Save As > I would use jpeg (should be the same for Mac or PC)

You will need to make sure of a few settings, use pixels not inches and resolution should be set pixels/inch, constrain proportions needs to be checked... and then start plugging in numbers and play around...

Good luck!
05-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your help and comments.
I am new to using the software for picture editing (like 1 month into this) and sometimes it seems like the simplest things are the hardest to work out when it comes to software.

05-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
I believe Photoshop E will be the easiest to do this...

Open PSE> along top menu should be > Image > scroll down > Resize > scroll to Image Size... if it's going to be a square image you will end up needing to probably crop it... then Save As > I would use jpeg (should be the same for Mac or PC)

You will need to make sure of a few settings, use pixels not inches and resolution should be set pixels/inch, constrain proportions needs to be checked... and then start plugging in numbers and play around...

Good luck!
Thanks very much - it worked great. I haven't had the chance to work very much with Photoshop yet so........ the step by step was great.
05-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sawicksted Quote
Thanks very much - it worked great. I haven't had the chance to work very much with Photoshop yet so........ the step by step was great.
Your very welcome!!!

Here is the place for more answers regarding PSE: Elements Village - Powered by vBulletin you should be able to find everything you need, plus tips and tricks and available plugins etc...
06-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #10

There are a lot of ways to reduce a photo for avatar. I found a suidoo lens that shows several ways to do it. there are online and offline software discussed and all of the methods are free. My favorite is to use the shrink pic software online... you can be done in seconds. Here's the link :

http://www.squidoo.com/Shrink_A_Picture