Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Senior Member
sawicksted's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 193
How do I re size a picture file to make an avatar?

Help anyone.

I have been unsuccesful trying to create and avatar. I have silkypix software, photoshop elements, and kodak easyshare software. How do I take an existing photo and resize it to use for an avatar. Then how do I add that to my profile?
I feel stupid asking but for some reason this seems to have me spinning my wheels. I have looked in a lot of places but must have missed something in the threads because I can't find any info on this process.
Thanks in advance for your help with this everyone.

05-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,619
This isn't a site/forum issue. It's a basic photo editing question.
moving to the beginners' forum.
05-16-2011, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
You can shrink it down to whatever size the forum prefers. In this case it's 80x80 I believe, using your graphics software. Then you save it as a jpeg or gif. In the user CP section there is usually a way to load up an avatar on the server that the site uses or you can probably load it up to an online photo site and put a link in for the forum to use. Actually it's often better with such small graphics to crop to a focused in part of the image you want to use as some images the detail is lost if you try to use the whole pic and make it that small. You zoom in, take only the major part of the image and it works better.
05-16-2011, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member
DaveHolmes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 1,501
Download a copy of Irfanview... really very easy to resize jpg's... In fact, that's all I use it for...

05-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
In any case, as mentioned, it's not a Pentax or forum-specific question - it's a question about he specific software you use. the answer would be found in the documentation for the specific software you are using. Usually the option would be called "resize".
05-16-2011, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,542
QuoteOriginally posted by sawicksted Quote
Help anyone.

I have been unsuccesful trying to create and avatar. I have silkypix software, photoshop elements, and kodak easyshare software. How do I take an existing photo and resize it to use for an avatar. Then how do I add that to my profile?
I feel stupid asking but for some reason this seems to have me spinning my wheels. I have looked in a lot of places but must have missed something in the threads because I can't find any info on this process.
Thanks in advance for your help with this everyone.
I believe Photoshop E will be the easiest to do this...

Open PSE> along top menu should be > Image > scroll down > Resize > scroll to Image Size... if it's going to be a square image you will end up needing to probably crop it... then Save As > I would use jpeg (should be the same for Mac or PC)

You will need to make sure of a few settings, use pixels not inches and resolution should be set pixels/inch, constrain proportions needs to be checked... and then start plugging in numbers and play around...

Good luck!
05-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
sawicksted's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 193
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your help and comments.
I am new to using the software for picture editing (like 1 month into this) and sometimes it seems like the simplest things are the hardest to work out when it comes to software.
05-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
sawicksted's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 193
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
I believe Photoshop E will be the easiest to do this...

Open PSE> along top menu should be > Image > scroll down > Resize > scroll to Image Size... if it's going to be a square image you will end up needing to probably crop it... then Save As > I would use jpeg (should be the same for Mac or PC)

You will need to make sure of a few settings, use pixels not inches and resolution should be set pixels/inch, constrain proportions needs to be checked... and then start plugging in numbers and play around...

Good luck!
Thanks very much - it worked great. I haven't had the chance to work very much with Photoshop yet so........ the step by step was great.

05-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,542
QuoteOriginally posted by sawicksted Quote
Thanks very much - it worked great. I haven't had the chance to work very much with Photoshop yet so........ the step by step was great.
Your very welcome!!!

Here is the place for more answers regarding PSE: Elements Village - Powered by vBulletin you should be able to find everything you need, plus tips and tricks and available plugins etc...
06-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South Bend, IN
Posts: 4
There are a lot of ways to reduce a photo for avatar. I found a suidoo lens that shows several ways to do it. there are online and offline software discussed and all of the methods are free. My favorite is to use the shrink pic software online... you can be done in seconds. Here's the link :

http://www.squidoo.com/Shrink_A_Picture
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
avatar, camera, pentax help, photography, software
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
File Size for Raw john mood Pentax DSLR Discussion 23 01-04-2012 12:46 PM
K7 RAW file size candgpics Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 04-07-2010 09:43 PM
K-7 file size mel Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 08-11-2009 09:03 AM
File size too large anthony Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 07-16-2009 01:56 PM
K-7 DNG file size? mabelsound Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 07-09-2009 01:01 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top