Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #1

what other brand of lenses i can get with pentax kx?

Hi!Everyone,

I wanna purchase pentax kx but its only with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL .

What other brand of lenses that is cheaper and will fit with pentax kx ?

I want lenses that fits my needs like taking pictures in the baseball game,hockey or farther objects.Most of all i like to take pictures of my son.I wanna capture every moment because they grow up so fast.

Is it pentax kx is a good dslr camera?

I will appreciate all your reply.Thanks

05-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

K-x is a great starter camera. It is very respectable at high ISO shooting, allowing you to shoot indoors at reasonable shutter speeds. The sensor is fantastic.

There are very few lenses that cost less than the DA L 18-55. You can find this lens in mint condition for $40-50 in the marketplace on this forum. Pretty much nothing can beat this price.

If you want a longer lens with more reach, consider the Pentax DA L 55-300. You can find these in the marketplace for about $200. Better lenses exist, but not at that price. The DA or DA L 50-200 also occasionally show up for $80, which is also pretty good, but the 55-300 is generally accepted to be better.

There is a whole world of lenses beyond these kit lenses. But very few options are going to offer so much quality for so little cash.

If you wanted to save even more money then you can start looking at manual lenses. They won't autofocus, but they can be very good for very little cash. I suspect this isn't going to be your preference.
05-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning, The forum has a third party lens review that is located here...The kit lens is very good. I believe that you can also purchase a 2 lens kit with either the 50-200 or 55-300 lenses. The 55-300 is the better of the two, as Aegon pointed out. The kit prices are usually the way to go, since the lenses and body can be had at a reduced price as opposed to individually. I really do not know that there are any cheaper lenses for the price, as the third party lens vendors need to make a profit on each item. Pentax is selling a body with lenses to let you easily use the camera.

Sigma and Tameron lenses are also good third party lenses. There is a lot to choose from out there.

Last edited by interested_observer; 05-16-2011 at 08:11 AM.
05-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In general, camera companies like Pentax, Nikon, and Canon make lenses only for their onw cameras.

Third party lens companies like Sigma and Tamron makes lenses that fit multiple cameras - you just have to buy the right version. It should be clearly marked on the box or in the listing for the lens.

as mentioned, there is no way you are going to improve on the 18-55 for less money, but you don't need a better 18-55 - you need a telephoto lens. See the many existing threads comparing the inexpensive telephoto lenses. If it's not too late to get the K0x kit that includes the 55-300, that's the no-brainer way to go. Otherwise, get the 55-300 separately if it's in your price range, Otherwise, get whatever you can - they're all basically fine, but you get what you pay for.