Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by basditz Quote
- Never using Auto or Scene modes.

- Thinking that good pictures only form thru blood, sweat & full manual control.

- Looking down on people that just like to take nice quality pictures without overthinking it / devoting 95% of their time to 'the art'

Sorry, couldnt resist, I just cant handle the 'manual is must' hipster/snobbish comments surfacing every one in a while.

I don't know if that constitutes a 'Beginner's mistake,' ...Scene modes are in general, just computerized rules of thumb: ie, what I'd probably tell a beginner to do, anyway, even if I'd rather just be able to set things directly than convince automation to do what I want to begin with. I still think they're nothing to be snobby about. They're a little superfluous if you've actually got a full suite of controls, but it's not like one needs be offended by their presence. Still, they're probably more for 'End Users' than 'Beginners...' They won't teach you much.

05-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by rares Quote
@crf529, an $60 tripod isn't the same as a $400 one. i was thinking the same thing as you but when i had the opportunity to work with a good more costly tripod, i've seen the big difference but it depends on what you're doing, if you need something to hold your camera at eye level, a $60 tripod is good .
I was being sarcastic, my whole post was (which surprises me you only picked up on the tripod). I am well aware of tripod performance and personally went middle of the road on my tripod+head ($900)...

Last edited by crf529; 05-20-2011 at 10:42 PM.
05-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
--Spending too much time on forums, camera/lens reviews, shopping sites instead of going out photographing.
raises hand: GUILTY!
05-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #49
Veteran Member

There are mistakes beginners make, and that old-timers make. But the basic mistakes are:

* Not reading (and virtually memorizing) the camera manual.
* Not studying (and comprehending) the basics of photography.
* Not knowing how to move and hold your camera and yourself.

For (d)SLR beginners, there are some other mistakes:

* Mistaking the (d)SLR for a bigger and better point-and-shoot.
* Thinking that the camera's lil'robot brain is smarter than it is.
* Not understanding focal length vs depth of field vs sharpness.

As we advance a bit, we move into other realms of error:

* Thinking that sharpness (or artistic blur) is the ultimate goal.
* Thinking that rules of composition make for 'better' pictures.
* Thinking that gear is more important than light, subject, skill.
* And of course the idiotic theology that post-processing is 'bad'.

But the more we know, the more sophisticated mistakes we can make. Is that progress?

05-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by crf529 Quote
I was being sarcastic, my whole post was (which surprises me you only picked up on the tripod). I am well aware of tripod performance and personally went middle of the road on my tripod+head ($900)...
sorry than
05-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #51

I keep making the mistake of turning off self-timer after taking a family picture. I look confused as why my camera is beeping when I try to take a picture of something. hahaha...
05-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by birdman59 Quote
Next time the Superbowl is on, try to count the MULTITUDE of flashes from the stands. Amazing that many idiots could all score tickets.
Actually they are all doing that so that the TV shots look cool with all those flashes going off. Especially if the tv camera man uses a cross star filter. All the 'flashers' have seen TV shots of the stupor bole and they want to get in the act.
"Hey Mabel! See that flash on the 4th deck middle 17 rows back? That's me! I'm on TV! I'm famous!"

NaCl(its group participation art!)H2O
05-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I think one of the most common beginner's mistakes is to start thinking that one is beyond making beginner's mistakes. . .

*snip*

Scott
Yep!!! like forgetting that you have a FE lens mounted and are concentrating on the readout in the VF!
taken by yours truly after 4 yrs of shooting a dslr

NaCl(and I keep the shot to remind myself)H2O

05-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Yep!!! like forgetting that you have a FE lens mounted and are concentrating on the readout in the VF!
taken by yours truly after 4 yrs of shooting a dslr

NaCl(and I keep the shot to remind myself)H2O
Nice framing of that photo. Innovative use of your hand