Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1. Forgetting to wind the film before opening the back plate.
2. I may not explain this one well, but film users should understand. Winding a foll of film midway so you can switch film type is awesome. Putting that roll back in and forgetting to advance the frame...not so awesome.

05-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Using the spot meter without learning what a spot meter does and how to interpret what it is telling them.
05-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I have seen it so often: (if one could call it a mistake?)

> Taking a shot of a distant sporting event, or landscape, building etc, and engaging the in-built flash. WHY???
Next time the Superbowl is on, try to count the MULTITUDE of flashes from the stands. Amazing that many idiots could all score tickets.
05-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that the question I get asked a lot is "why are my photos blurry?"
when someone used to use a pocket digital camera they usually didn't need to worry about it as the depth of field was very deep..... then they get a dslr that can blur the background.. now they also have to now worry about slow shutter speed and missed focus (mostly clear background, blurry subjects) etc.
for some people the transition is a big step and getting a book or looking at the web about dslr cameras would help the most.

cheers

05-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JoeATL Quote
Use flash on inanimate objects that do not move...
I use flash on inanimate objects quite a bit. Should I stop?
05-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My beginner mistake that I still make more often than I'd like to admit is failing to check the mode dial before firing away... and with the lock on the k-5's dial, I can't even blame it on mistakenly turning it anymore! ;-(
05-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Both CBA & LBA.

05-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I use flash on inanimate objects quite a bit. Should I stop?
, good one Mike.
05-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I once saw a guy use a flash when taking a picture of the moon
Every morning on the way to work(wide open back roads) i see the same lady on the same stretch of road shooting the sunrise from her car with a canon/kit lens with the flash up. Every morning i see her along the same road without fail, ive been using the same route to work for years.
I would have thought by now she would have got her self a tripod and turned the flash off.:ugh:
05-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I once saw a guy use a flash when taking a picture of the moon
I have to say, that one takes the prize.

Thanks for a good laugh, (even though it is true)
05-19-2011, 02:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
One of the dumbest things I've done is take a whole lot of long exposure shots with my tripod mounted camera. Only problem was I was on a floating wharf, so while my camera was rock solid compared to the wharf, the waves were moving the wharf up and down resulting in dozens of blurry images You only make that kind of mistake once.
Haha I did the same for a waterfall picture on a deck that heaps of people were walking on. All those people thumping around meant I didn't get a single clearly focused shot and I didn't even think about it at the time!

I use flash outdoors on inanimate objects as well, I find it's good for eliminating shadows caused by the sun...

I can't think of any good beginner tips because I still think of myself as a beginner.
05-19-2011, 02:36 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Buying more stuff, especially lenses, before becoming any good with the stuff they've already got. Ie looking for an increase of quality in their work through purchasing some expensive lens that they neither need nor warrant rather trying to actually become better photographers in the first place.
05-19-2011, 02:43 AM   #28
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Taking a shot of a distant sporting event, or landscape, building etc, and engaging the in-built flash. WHY???
Think about it Bruce... One day, when the ISO 2 exa-trillion sensor comes out in a camera, that pop-up flash will have the range of greater than what a telephoto lens can resolve to for a distant subject!
05-19-2011, 03:03 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
Making pictures of yourself holding your camera like it's compact one and then realizing that this ain't the result that you want and putting on the pop-up flash! Gosh And the girl who acted like that watched me with my white K-r like I don't know anything This was kinda terrible

So I'm begging You! Please don't act like this!
05-19-2011, 03:59 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by birdman59 Quote
Next time the Superbowl is on, try to count the MULTITUDE of flashes from the stands. Amazing that many idiots could all score tickets.
A lot of P&S cameras automatically flash if the camera deduces they need it. No user error involved.