Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Best way/place to sell used lens?

I'm considering selling my barely used lens and I'm wondering what the best place is for this? Where do you folks sell your lenses?

05-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not right here on our marketplace?
05-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yup, right here on the marketplace.
05-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iseeincolor Quote
Where do you folks sell your lenses?
I have recently sold (and am selling...) a few lenses through a local independent camera store... They add 20% to whatever you want for the item being sold...
The plus side is that I don't have to pack up or arrange delivery of anything via ebay... (I hate queuing in the post-office!!)

In my opinion having and 'using' local camera stores is important, so as much as possible I try and buy from them too...

However... Increasingly it is far easier and cheaper to buy equipment from online retailers who buy in bulk and for all my 'support local business' spiel, I'm as guilty as everyone else in not doing so...

Ebay is worth a think about as is (as said by blackcloudview) putting an advert in the marketplace here... (Although if it's the 18-55 kit then I imagine that you'll struggle...)

05-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here are some of your options: Keh. Or Craigslist. Or B&H. Or Adorama. Or eBay. Or PF Marketplace. Or word of mouth. Or... Hmm, I'm running out of options.
05-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Depending what it is, right here (or a similar forum for other brands) might be the closest thing to in-person you'll find, ...there's usually someone who'll pay you about the going rate directly. Does depend a bit on what you've got.
05-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I buy (overwhelmingly) cheap lenses, (overwhelmingly) on eBay. Those I don't like, I hang onto for a few weeks, then resell (even more overwhelmingly) on eBay. I start auctions (overwhelmingly) at US$0.99 and let the market decide. I started reselling less than a year ago. My gross profit margin (including eBay / PayPal fees) is around 100%. So the the average lens I bought for US$10 including shipping, sells for US$20 plus shipping, after paying fees. It works for me. That's how I can buy more lenses, including occasional not-so-cheap glass.

If I had to make a living at it, or if I had expensive lenses to sell, I would deal differently, but I'm not sure how. I don't use the Marketplace here because I found it difficult to search, last time I tried. I would hesitate to go through a major dealer like KEH et al, because they'll take a larger cut than eBay/PayPal. If I didn't mostly reside way out in mountainous boonies, I might use CraigsList. If the kids offer us their extra house in San Francisco for a few months, I will DEFINITELY use CL.

To sell your one barely-used lens, if it is of any value, your best shot is probably the Marketplace here. I just won't see it.
05-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd go with the marketplace here. I've got quite a few transactions under my belt here and pretty much every single one of them has been pleasant and easy. I've sold a few things on ebay and craigslist, but I vastly prefer dealing with people here on the forum. From my experience, craigslist can be a pain in the ass, although it's free so I suppose you don't have much to lose if you list you lens there as well. Ebay is pretty easy. Between ebay and paypal, they'll take almost 10% when all is said and done (a slightly smaller percentage for more expensive items), but the upside is much wider exposure and the potential that your item will go for more than it's actually worth

06-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks everyone!