Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In your initial post, you said the issue was focus - image was focused behind where you intended. So I assumed you meant using AF. If you really meant using MF, then there is absolutely no possible way that could be a lens issue. Now, it could well be the F is softer overall than the M, but that's not a focus issue. And when focusing manually, note the viewfinder is lying to you about DOF, showing too much in focus. So it's *impossible* to be precisely sure where the focus will be (unless you've installed a third party split prism and tested that you've shimmed it properly). It would be pretty normal to get better results with MF on a lens designed for MF than on a lens designed for AF, though - the focus ring is usually much more precise in its motions.

So really, I think you do need to do some sort of testing, because right now, your impressions are kind of scattered and even somewhat contradictory. You say you'd rather be shooting - but if some test ill convince you that really, the only problem here is that your to be more careful when focusing, then it's a win - you'll be able to enjoy shooting much more after the test.

05-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by A-z Quote
Yep, very frustrating, I've decided to sell the lens as I cant justify a body upgrade any time soon. A real pity as I really love the lens. Back to my M-50, sharp as a razor!

I'm keeping my eye open for another copy, or I may grab a DA 40 instead...

Twitch, can't you use a remote?
I don't know if this will help your particular problem but I am having same issue with my F 50/1.4 and 1.7 back focusing on my k10 but focusing correctly on my k-2000 (posted earlier).

I had ordered a new split screen for my k10 in hopes of generally making manual focusing quicker and more precise. It just arrived and I slapped it into place and the 1st lens I reached for was the F 50/1.4. I have never been able to focus this lens either manually or in AF on the k10. With the new screen, AF is still back focusing but in Manual, I'm pleased to report the Split Focusing Screen has made using this lens now possible

The attached are from JPEG's and heavily cropped. Though some will argue this is not a controlled test, I pretty much know my equipment and abilities, so I'm pretty confident the Split Screen has made the difference. The images were taken @ 20 angle, cropped to @ 75%, no sharpening. (Sorry about the WB) I also tried this out with all my "difficult" to focus manual lenses, all improved!

Auto Focus - You can see how the focus is actually beyond where I had camera aimed (January)...

Manual Focus - Here you can see how much better the focus is and the proper amount of OOF areas both in front of and beyond...

If anyone is interested in the Split Screen, please PM me, I don't want to look like I am endorsing any products that may or may not work for you...
05-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by A-z Quote
Twitch, can't you use a remote?
Good question., Yes I can use a remote, but it is not possible to use one in combination with auto bracketting. That's a deal breaker for me now, I need HDR bracketting to be less painful.