Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davenn Quote
So as I asked in the earlier post, thats a time when I should have used spot metering?
I personally use center weighted metering exclusively. For simple scenes, you can simply point and shoot and it does about the same thing as multi-segment. For backlit scenes, or any other scenes where you know there are harsh difference between the light and shadow areas, you simply make a decision - do I want to expose for the shadow or the light? Then you point your camera in the general direction of a light area or a dark area, meter, lock in the expousre (I shoot "M" exclusively, so my exposure is always locked, but you'd use AE-L in other modes), recompose, and shoot.

Very often, I simply meter off the ground at my feet. However, in this case, that would still have underexposed the plane. But if you turn around and meter off your shadow, that would probably work out OK. You can of course do this with a spot meter as well, but I rather like the fact that with center weighted metering, it might notice the light area around my shadow, and tone down the exposure a bit so the background isn't *completely* blown out.

05-30-2011, 05:13 AM   #47
Site Supporter

no this is a general issue of my operation of, or of the camera or both

ok was going through my archive tonite and found one typical example.....

The first pic I did was in auto (green) mode it was pretty much black. So went to manual and did several shots of which this was the best
Yes the sun is high behind the subject. So how do I get a decent pic in this situation?

Is this a time when I should use spot metering ?

What really frustrates me is my Fuji S9500 in auto or even my mobile phone camera will give an excellent pic in the same situation! So why cant my >$1000 Pentax camera

cheers
Dave
I played around with this photo a bit just using PDCU 4. The main issue is the strong reflection on top of the plane which is within the centre-weighted zone. Even though it is away from the dead centre and therefore weighted less it is so strong it has had a major influence.
The photo can work quite well with some shadow compensation and even better with some curve adjustment. Muck around with it and see if you can get something closer to what you would have expected. It was killed by that reflection and the lighting conditions that you would have needed to compromise for (by reading in the shadows) or adjusted later via the levels.

I'm actually wondering whether multi-segment might have worked better by giving a more even coverage of exposure (depends on how it is weighted).
06-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #48

Original Poster
hi guys.... after a week of wet and crappy weather, I have finally seen the sun again

here's 2 pics of the same scene the first in Auto (green) mode the other in manual
I tried to keep the manual settings as close as possible to the auto settings only varying to get a "0" centre for exposure.

ohhh I discovered that in auto, the camera forces multi segment metering. when I had it set for spot (which is what my manual shots were done in) And as an aside, I also discovered that it wont do Raw+ in auto mode

so it would seem to me that the camera can't be trusted to give a correctly exposed image in Auto mode ? I did a number of pics today ... the results were all pretty much the same. Auto mode pics were all much darker.

cheers
Dave
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-05-2011, 03:59 AM   #49
Site Supporter

so it would seem to me that the camera can't be trusted to give a correctly exposed image in Auto mode ? I did a number of pics today ... the results were all pretty much the same. Auto mode pics were all much darker.

cheers
Dave
Depends. In the second shot you had medium shadow compensation which has made a difference. If I give your first shot high shadow compensation it is about the same (actually looks better to me). At medium the shadows still have detail but are just a little darker. 1st is just a little underexposed but pleasing to look at (to me) with shadow compensation.
Try adding the shadow compensation to the first shot yourself.

Any Auto uses a "most common" or sometimes "best according to a criteria" or "what it thinks" based on what it thinks it sees (or is told in some cases) approach. You had 3 differences in those shots - the mode, the metering method and shadow correction. Spot wasn't really the way to go but you got lucky - main difference has been the shadow compensation with a little more exposure. One explanation of when to use spot is at Understanding Camera Metering and Exposure but it is by no means complete. CW is more consistent since it is always CW and you can learn how to adjust yourself. Multi is ok but may use different algorithms depending on what it thinks it sees. There are heaps of discussions on which is "best" and there is never agreement but it depends more on your choice.
Try CW or multi in manual or Aperture priority or Shutter priority.

Edit: To me the 1st shot is less dark when viewed in the Pentax Camera software.

06-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Is it possible you shot on a tripod, or otherwise did not have your eye to the viewfinder when metering? That's about the only thing I can think of that would explain the first picture, aside from faulty equipment, of course. No, that's not normal.
06-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #51

Original Poster
HI Bill and Marc,

Yes I have got some shadow compensation set. Obviously auto mode ignored that setting.
No not on a tripod. I was taking particular attention to the metering when in manual to make sure I got the correct "0" exposure.

I appreciate your continuing patience and comments it all helps my understanding thankyou

Dave
06-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Past and unhappy experience has taught me that all digital cameras tend to under expose which I put down to the fact that the makers set the camera so as to ensure faces are correctly captured. i.e. they use a pink face rather than a grey card as the standard. Well, that's my pet theory anyway.

My K10 has to be opened up a stop and the K5 is only marginally better so I wouldn't worry too much if it's working OK at this level of correction.