Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #1

PNY C10 card issue with Kx

I recently purchased 8gb and 16gb c10 PNY cards and I've had issues with both. I get intermittant card errors such as "memory card full" or "cannot display this image."

I've shot mainly in RAW but I have done some JPEG. I've gotten the errors in both formats.

I've been told I have to format the card first, which I did, and that didn't change anything.

I've looked through other threads and it seems the only response is to buy a better card. I suppose I'm not ready to punt just yet.

I haven't had issues with other cards and logically I realize I should simply get something different. But the other cards are C4 not C10 and before I buy something else, I want to make sure it's not the camera.

Is it possible the Kx is haveing issues or is it simply the PNY card? Anyone else experience the same issue?

Thank You

05-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tenthumbs Quote
I recently purchased 8gb and 16gb c10 PNY cards and I've had issues with both. I get intermittant card errors such as "memory card full" or "cannot display this image."
Where did you buy the cards? The reason I'm asking is if you purchase these on eBay, there is chance that these are not what they're supposed to be...i.e fake.
QuoteOriginally posted by tenthumbs Quote
I've been told I have to format the card first, which I did, and that didn't change anything.
Did you format the card with the camera or a reader? If you used a reader, I would try formatting the card(s) with the camera.

If possible, have you tried the suspected cards on other cameras, even point-and-shoots using SD cards?

I would also try cleaning the contacts on the PNY.

I use an HP 8GB SDHC C6 and so far the "memory card full" only happened to me once during the past year. I turned the camera off then back on and haven't had the problem since. I'm suspecting for my case it was a contact issue.

Hope this helps!
05-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply.

I bought one card at Best Buy and another at Fry's. Both new in the package.

Formatted in the camera.

I have three other cards that don't produce this error. That's why I was thinking it could be the camera or perhaps PNY cards simply don't measure up. That seems unlikely but I am open to suggestion.

Thanks
05-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #4

I've tried a PNY Class 10 8GB in my K7 and never saw these errors in my short testing. I ended up returning it anyway because the write performance was worse than my 4GB Sandisk Ultra Class 4.

I've read good things about the Lexar Pro Class 10 cards, which are about as cheap online (~$25 for 8GB) versus the PNY sale price in stores.

05-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have two PNY cards, one 8GB C10 and have not had any of these problems you're having either, and I've got the K-x also. PNY is lifetime warranted, if it were me, I'd contact them.
05-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses.
05-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
So much for PNY support:

Hello

Thank you for contacting PNY Technical Support.

Sorry to hear about the problem you have with the PNY SD Card, Seams that these card somehow are not compatible with your camera

I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks,

Tamer
1-800-234-4597
PNY Technical Support
05-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Sounds like a typical answer where the techie has no clue what is wrong. FWIW, I would have called them rather than use email.

05-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have used PNY cards in my K10D almost exclusively since I owned it with no issues of any kind.