Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Just bought photoshop cs5 extended and lightroom 3?

Just bought photoshop cs5 extended and lightroom 3?

So... Let the learning curve begin when it arrives! Will it come with instructions. The sales rep was pushing two books that he referred to as "training manuals". Ive heard this software is complicated but havnt a clue! Ideas to find tutorial or classes anything to maybe help the learning curve? Thanks in advance!

Andrew

05-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
YouTube is full of tutorials on how to do stuff. Adobe also offers free tutorials available to anyone. It's all great software once you get the hang of it but if you're completely unfamiliar, the learning curve is pretty steep.

Good luck and enjoy the learning process.

05-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

No, Adobe doesn't include instructions for any of their products, but they have a lot of answers available online. Just use the search box for any specific questions and you can usually find what you need. As for tutorials, my only recommendation is to buy any book by Scott Kelby. He is the master of all things Adobe, but his books are great for beginners on up to advanced users. I still use them as reference books for when I forget how to do something. He makes things very simple to understand. He has guides for pretty much any Adobe photographic product. Amazon always has 'em.
05-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #4

There are some good free online tutorials for Photoshop and Lightroom at a website called: thedigitalphotographyconnection

05-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Filters? Downloadable and installable? My last photoshop product was photoshop 6.0 or something!
05-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This book is very good. Most of the info can be found online but in multiple places. The book is nice because you have all of the info at your fingertips whenever you need to look things up. It took me a very long time to learn how to use CS5 efficiently and to learn what it is actually capable of and I'm pretty sure I still don't know it all yet. In any case CS5 is truly an amazing piece of software, you will not be disappointed. Just be very patient and willing to read and learn. If you have any questions just ask. Enjoy!
05-19-2011, 02:24 AM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Books and the net are great resources for tutorials and guides to using the tools on PS.
"The Art of Photoshop" is a highly recommended resource for working with layers.
05-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #8

Lynda.com also has excellent lessons for photoshop and lightroom as well as a whole bunch of other software.

05-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LAYERS, LAYERS,LAYERS! is what it is all about, once you get it in your mind that it is all about layers you will automatically understand the rest.
I really struggled with learning CS5 in my graphic design class, but once I got a good handle on layers and just kept remembering where they all are and how they are situated I managed to grasp the rest of PS. One thing I really like about CS5 is Adobe Camera Raw that comes with it, your will be amazed at what you can do with it. Another thing that I really like using in my workflow is Bridge, it really helps me out when it comes to organizing my work and with my workflow.
Lynda tutorials are also an awesome untructional tool when it comes to learning this software.

PS: I did my signature pic inphotoshop......four layers total
05-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I bought the Kelby book that KxBlaze recommended. I never really got over my initial impression that it was too little information for such a monster program. I read it, and I can't say that he left anything out, but how would I know? Anyway, about a third of the book is how to use Adobe Camera RAW, which is obviously what Kelby prefers to use. My wife needed more information on Photoshop, not ACR, so I got this:

Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC (9780240522005): Martin Evening: Books

That's more what I expect, a giant 760something page book. I read that too, and it does cover stuff I don't need, but I do feel like I have more CS5 information now. It's not necessary to read it; you can look up stuff and just read that part. There's a DVD along with it that has a useful command reference.

This link is to the Adobe PDF help file. There's a link in the upper right so you can download and save it to your PC. It's not organized to just read it, and I haven't found it to be that useful yet, but it's free.

Adobe Photoshop CS5 * Using Adobe Photoshop CS5

I did not get the user interface at first, and until I read the books, tended to completely overlook important menus. Neither book covers that explicitly.
05-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I bought the Kelby book that KxBlaze recommended. I never really got over my initial impression that it was too little information for such a monster program. I read it, and I can't say that he left anything out, but how would I know? Anyway, about a third of the book is how to use Adobe Camera RAW, which is obviously what Kelby prefers to use. My wife needed more information on Photoshop, not ACR, so I got this:

Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC (9780240522005): Martin Evening: Books

That's more what I expect, a giant 760something page book. I read that too, and it does cover stuff I don't need, but I do feel like I have more CS5 information now. It's not necessary to read it; you can look up stuff and just read that part. There's a DVD along with it that has a useful command reference.

This link is to the Adobe PDF help file. There's a link in the upper right so you can download and save it to your PC. It's not organized to just read it, and I haven't found it to be that useful yet, but it's free.

Adobe Photoshop CS5 * Using Adobe Photoshop CS5

I did not get the user interface at first, and until I read the books, tended to completely overlook important menus. Neither book covers that explicitly.
I can't honestly say that I've run into anything that Kelby just left out, but I guess it's possible. He does also have quite a bit of info and tutorials on his website. I don't sit down and read his books, either. I use them as reference manuals just as you do that giant book. You can't beat his stuff for user-friendliness, though. There's a reason his stuff always has such stellar reviews.
05-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
I find the Adobe Photoshop CS5 Bible by Lisa DaNae Dayley and Brad Dayley to be a very comprehensive well constructed book despite the B&W illustrations. It was recommended on this forum. I find Scott Kelby's books interesting and helpful but not so complete and comprehensive.