Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how to look for dust in lens

Tomorrow i am going to buy used lens (28-200 tammy) for a good price, since this is my second lens and first zoom please advice how i shud look for dust particles and other issues if any please

05-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Open up the aperture to maximum and look through the glass at both ends pointing to a light source.
05-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Forum Member

I had the best luck with finding dust similar to the previous post. Open the aperture and looking at a white wall where as pointing towards a light source was too much light for me. Obviously have a light source that is close and bright enough to reflect off the wall would be important.
05-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Take a flash light with you. Point it through the rear of the lens (wide open) and look at the front. Dust, no big deal. Fungus, big deal if the lens is expensive. Haze/fog, bigger deal regardless of price.

05-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks all for those advices. One more question, since i don't own that many lenses and not enough experience with any manual lenses, for opening the aperture wide open - is it possible with the lens alone (even if it is an auto lens?) or do I need the help of camera body to do it?
05-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That lens should have the aperture ring, so you will be able to open it from the ring itself. I have the XR IF of that lens and it has the aperture ring...
05-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
joe pen thanks, I will look for it then.

05-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There is dust in every lens. If there's too much, you'll be able to tell at a glance. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
05-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's far more important to check for fungus.
05-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Actually, its an autofocus lens, first and foremost, attach to your body and make sure the autofocus works
05-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a 28~200 Tammy,decent lens, I see some dust in there but nothing that is going to be a problem. Got the lens for a steal, around 45 dollars and it came attached to a decent Pentax body that was made around 2003. The lens was clean and every thing works smoothly, I brought my K-x into the pawn shop and tested the lens out first and it actually works flawlessly.
05-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
I'm also going to be a kinda camera fair with many second-hand cameras/lenses/etc on sale. I've got the two kit lenses and a M/1.7 50mm, and I suppose I'm just looking for anything available.

Any suggestions as to what to keep an eye out for? Including when checking lenses and/or other accessories for faults, or any hints and tips as to the best way to approach these types of fairs?
05-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This will save me a lot of one-finger typing:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

What to look for and what to reject is harder. I did quite a lot of reading about other people's purchases before buying my own. Knowing exactly what something is and its market value is best, but sometimes you have enough info to take a chance and it works out anyway.
05-20-2011, 12:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks All for helping my informed purchasing, I got this lens now - although I can see slight dust particles in the front element and minimal marks on the front element which looks like some kind of coating chip offs but can't see any thing of those in the captured images so I went ahead with the purchase.
This lens is a LD version and not a Di. I have attached here one (i have cropped it a little to see the detail) of my first few shots as a trial.

Question: Since this is my second lens and first lens that has an aperture ring, my question is i am able set aperture size from the camera body. But when i try to change the aperture size from the ring itself I was expecting the aperture size displayed on the LCD screen also to change accordingly but it didn't, is this something I am not supposed to expect? if so how and when the aperture ring can be useful. Thanks once again.
Attached Images

05-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
Thanks All for helping my informed purchasing, I got this lens now - although I can see slight dust particles in the front element and minimal marks on the front element which looks like some kind of coating chip offs but can't see any thing of those in the captured images so I went ahead with the purchase.
This lens is a LD version and not a Di. I have attached here one (i have cropped it a little to see the detail) of my first few shots as a trial.

Question: Since this is my second lens and first lens that has an aperture ring, my question is i am able set aperture size from the camera body. But when i try to change the aperture size from the ring itself I was expecting the aperture size displayed on the LCD screen also to change accordingly but it didn't, is this something I am not supposed to expect? if so how and when the aperture ring can be useful. Thanks once again.
That is exactly what is supposed to happen. With our modern cameras, there is no real good reason to use the Aperture ring with one exception if the lens is an A type lens. The exception is, if you are always hitting the dial and accidentally changing the aperture (as I do sometimes), the aperture ring use will cure that. Unless you're carrying a pencil and paper (old school EXIF), what you will lose in that proposition is the f stop information.