Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Dust/Dirt location on sensor

I have a K200D with dust /dirt that appears in the upper right corner of a landscape orientated image. When I check for the dust /dirt location using the (Dust Alert) function it shows the dust in the upper left corner of the sensor on the dust alert screen.

I have purchased the Pentax sensor cleaning kit as blowing has not removed the dust.
The Operating Manual for the kit shows that the dust should be located, in my instance, at the lower right corner of the sensor when view from the front of the camera.

My question is what is the location of dust that appears in the upper right corner of the image, on the sensor when viewed from the front of the camera?

05-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeh, It should be located in the bottom right corner of the sensor when looking in through the lens mount.
05-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Chances are, the dust alert was finding a *different* speck of dust. Or perhaps it already moved - they do that.
05-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Dust alert function is a joke, it couldn't find its arse with both hands. If the speck of dust is in the upper right corner in a picture, it will be in the lower right corner of the sensor as you face the camera.

Last edited by twitch; 05-19-2011 at 08:47 PM.
05-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Dust alert function is a joke, it could find its arse with both hands. If the speck of dust is in the upper right corner in a picture, it will be in the lower right corner of the sensor as you face the camera.
Ya I'd have to agree.
But I don't know about the arse bit

One tool that I found very helpful was sensor loup with a light on it.
They aren't very expensive and make examining your sensor pretty painless.
05-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I realise I made a typo in my comment that meant I was far too generous about the dust alert feature saying it could fine it's arse with both hands, I meant it couldn't find it, not in a million years.

I agree about the loupe too, I bought one which means I often only have to take 1 test pic to detect where the dust is, then use the loupe to check I've got the bits and a test pic to confirm it's gone.

One night I spend 3 hours, I'm not kidding, cleaning the sensor and re-taking test pics only to find the bits had just moved around or that there were even more on the sensor. I took 61 test pics that night, and it gets real tedious taking them, taking the card out, plugging it into the computer, doing the edits to see the dust etc etc etc

Now with the loupe it's fast, having an effective cleaning solution helps massively too, I even have a preset in Aperture especially to apply to sensor dust pics as doing it 61 times that one night was pretty boring too lol
05-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #7

Original Poster

Thanks for your help. We may see a suuny day around here next Friday when i can give my cleaning attempt a check.

05-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What you see on the viewfinder is usually reversed and upside down on the sensor.
I posted one time on how to look for such dust, debris on your sensor manually of you don't have a dust alert function.
I forgot where the thread is now.
05-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I found the thread with my single post and no comments..
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/83050-those-without-dust-mapping.html
05-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #10

Original Poster

Thanks Gerry,
A very good example, a picture is worth a thousand words as they say.