Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #1

k10d question

Ok so i still thinking of buying this k10 d slr i am new to slrs i am used to dials with pictures on them as far what i want to take pics of. I have been looking at the different modes of the camera in some reviews, my question is until i get used to the camera is there a setting for full auto i can set till i get used to the camera itself. This seems to be maybe more camera than i need.

Thanks
john

05-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Forum Member

Hey John...... if you`re unsure when deciding on a setting to get started with the K10, just try Program(P) and start clicking. This is usually the setting I have set as default for my wife to use, it gives decent results for most of her photo needs.
Don`t feel overwhelmed by all the different modes on the K10... just try them all!!!! I have the K20 also .... nice upgrade from the 10 (which is still a great value).
Best of luck with your choice!!

Last edited by ponyt27; 05-19-2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
05-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #3

there's full auto and P, which is almost full auto, but you get to tell the flash to turn on or not and change the ISO settings and the exposure compensation, etc.
05-20-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
John i use a K10d [along with a couple of other bodies] on a daily basis for commercial work and I have to admit that in pressure situations where I don't have time to faff about looking at settings I switch to p mode [rather than green as it does give a bit of control]and bang away.
the most important thing to set for you when using either of the modes suggested by hawk1500 is to set what is the program [think of it as programED mode in the menu. you have a choice of several and it can make a big difference.
basic program setting = camera goes for the best balance between speed/ aperture/ISO
speed setting where the camera tries for the fasted shutter speed possible given the light and the other two factors
aperture setting where the camera goes for the best depth of field possible given the light and the other two factors
and finally mtf mode.
this is based on info in the lens that the camera reads and tries to use what the lens maker has decided it the settings that will give the best from that particular lens. Be aware that older Pentax lenses do not contain that info nor do some 3rd party lenses , I believe if you have that set and there is no data the camera defaults to the basic program setting
I always have all my bodies set to aperture mode but thats my preference and way of working,
hope that helps , great camera long long the tooth now and low ISO but still a great camera.
some will say it still has advantages of some of the newer offerings from Pentax

05-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
John, I use a K10d [along with a couple of other bodies] on a daily basis for commercial work and I have to admit that in pressure situations where I don't have time to faff about looking at settings I switch to p mode [rather than green as it does give a bit of control] and bang away.
The most important thing to set for you when using either of the modes suggested by hawk1500 is to set what is the program [think of it as programED mode in the menu. you have a choice of several and it can make a big difference.
Basic program setting = camera goes for the best balance between speed/ aperture/ISO
Speed setting where the camera tries for the fasted shutter speed possible given the light and the other two factors.
Aperture setting where the camera goes for the best depth of field possible given the light and the other two factors.
And finally mtf mode.
This is based on info embeded in the lens that the camera reads and tries to use what the lens maker has decided it the settings that will give the best from that particular lens.
Be aware that older Pentax lenses do not contain that info nor do some 3rd party lenses , I believe if you have MTF set and there is no data the camera defaults to the basic program setting
I always have all my bodies set to aperture mode but thats my preference and way of working,
Hope that helps , great camera long in the tooth now and low ISO but still a great camera.
Some will say it still has advantages over some of the newer offerings from Pentax
05-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used my K10D on full auto (the green rectangle nest to P) for the first few times I shot with it. I got pretty good results. Start with that and experiment with other modes as you go. I would suggest some books on photography also. Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" is a real good one to start with and it isn't expensive.
05-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
John,
You can't go wrong with the K10d. It was my step into digital photography, and a camera I still love. The best place to start is with the owners manual. I hope the body you find comes with one. Then, as reeftool mentions, read some good books on photography.
It really is an easy to understand camera when you understand a little about photography.

Good luck and welcome to the forum,
Tony