Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
where do I find old lenses?

I have purchased a K-r... where can I find those old lenses that I understand my camera is able to use. I am looking for the 50 year old lenses. Also, what is the best lens for shooting family photos.

05-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Tab.

Firstly, 50yo Pentax lenses will all be screw mount, manual focus and you will need a Pentax M42 - K mount adapter to use them. (get the genuine Pentax adapter, this in not a place to scrimp a few $$) You will also need to set the K-r to be able to use them, There will be a setting in your menu that will allow you to set 'using aperture ring' to 'permitted'. (I don't have a K-r, so I don't know the menu number). This will allow you to use the old lenses in either A or M modes. The green button will perform stop down metering in these modes. There is a sticky on this forum somewhere that deals in detail with these issues.

I have quite a few, I found them in various places, including right here on the Marketplace, but mainly on Ebay. You just need to keep an eye out and scrounge the various 2nd hand places.

Good luck and happy hunting.
05-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #3

I find my lenses at small camera shops. They always have a selection of old various lenses and undoubtedly there will be k-mount in there.
05-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
here, at the marketplace

05-21-2011, 12:58 AM   #5

I have some for sale, check out my thread lol
05-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tab Quote
I have purchased a K-r... where can I find those old lenses that I understand my camera is able to use. I am looking for the 50 year old lenses. Also, what is the best lens for shooting family photos.
PF Marketplace, Craigslist, ShopGoodWill, pawn shops an eBay.
05-21-2011, 04:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

In the last 3 years, since I got my first dSLR (K20D), I have bought 320 lenses and sold 110 of them. I mostly live in a remote mountain village with no decent thrift shops nor garage sales nor flea markets nearby, no pawn shops, no CraigsList. Overwhelmingly, I deal on eBay. I have no disposable income, so in order to buy more lenses, I must sell some first, so I've become a lens-trader on eBay.

How to acquire good old lenses cheap on eBay:

* Research. Read about lenses. Google any candidate lens; read user reviews and see what they paid; check eBay's COMPLETED LISTINGS for recent sales prices; take notes. Then decide if it's REALLY a lens you want.

* Price. My rule is: If it costs less than a sandwich or hamburger, buy it. If it costs more than a large fancy pizza, think real hard about it. If it costs more than a fine dinner out, ask many questions here!

* Bidding. For any lens, set yourself a price limit (based on your price research and level of desire) and don't exceed it by more than US$5. Start with a low bid; if no other bids, bid yourself higher, just in case. No need for suicidal despair if you lose. There's always another lens.

I have another buying rule that applies when first building a lens kit. Ask yourself, "What do I want to do that I can't do with what I have? What will help me do what I want to do that I can't do now?" This will help reduce splurging, by pointing you towards specific types of lenses and gear. My answers were, ultrawide and ultralong and fast, and my solutions were DA10-17 and DA18-250 and FA50/1.4. A later answer was 'macro' which pushed me into very-close-up solutions. (And my current excuse is, to see how different lenses render images differently.)

When infected by LBA, you are doomed.

05-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For prices check KEH.com

KEH, B&H, & Adorama more or less set the retail price for used lenses so don't pay more on an auction site.