Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Identify this ball and socket head?

Hi folks,
I recently acquired this Ball and socket head with a Benbo Trekker tripod. I am 99% sure that the quick release is a RC2 type though there is no sign of the manufacturer. However, I cannot find any markings on the ball and socket head at all. The person I bought it from at my local camera club had got it second hand and didn't know either.

The ball is at least 36mm diameter though there is no way to dissasemble the thing and the revolving chromed base doesn't come off. On the opposite side to the qr lever is a smallish Allen headed grub screw that seems to tighten up the whole assembly and I would like to know what that's for as well. So if I can find out the make and model I could check what the grub screw is for.

Can anyone identify it?

I am curious as much as anything. After using it for a while, I am not happy about its usability in the field as securing the lever, alters the view slightly and is irritating. If there was a way of servicing the head, then I might be able to get it to work more to my satisfaction.

Many thanks in advance.

Attached Images

05-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

looks like someone removed the RC2 platform from something else (from a lighter ballhead) and attached it to a no-name ballhead - that or it's just bad manfrotto clone, that ballhead doesn't look anything like what I have seen from manfrotto in the past 20 years.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-22-2011 at 01:20 AM.
05-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That could be an old Benbo head. Whether the QR is a RC02 compatible one, must be tried with a plate. There are several manufacturers, that mad or make similar looking small QR systems, including for instance Cullmann.

The Beno heads are not necessarily the best ones, though the tripods are good. In my experience almost all ball heads will somewhat shift, when tightened and the cheaper the head, the worse.

Ben
05-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I got one of those heads with a monopod I bought off eBay quite some time ago. That QR is what it came with.

Mine is sitting around here somewhere. It makes a good paperweight when the fan is running. As a ballhead it isn't much to shout about. I don't think I used mine more than once or twice before I bought an Acratech head.

Though… placed in the toe of a sock it would make a formidable weapon.

05-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Digitalis, Ben Edict and bimjo for your replies about this head.

After looking at various heads on the net, the closest looking head might make this one an old Benbo/Benro. If it is I wouldn't be rushing to replace it even with a new one of theirs without a long test. Sorry Benbo/Benro but this is not a secure locking lever. As suggested above, it operates like a cheap clone. Moveable but still tight within a few degrees movement and then I can barely tighten it any more. If I put much more force on the lever, I think it might snap.

The QR head is indeed compatible with another RC2 plate so great advice there, thanks Ben.

Bimjo, I think you may have offered a solution for me - I could put it on my monopod - or indeed in a sock!

I am still wondering if I can take this thing apart to try and make the action better, though I think this would involve totally wrecking it with nothing better to replace it if things go Pete Tong.

Thanks again everyone, and if anyone else can throw any light as to the make and model I would be most grateful.

Last edited by waxsage; 05-22-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: adding other photos
05-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think this is the answer .
Sorry for the quality of the picture, I was in a hurry.

It is a budget item, see

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000XSHIBS/?smid=A7YCCM0RDGLJE&tag=mainseek-new-21&l...SIN=B000XSHIBS

If it was of better quality, it would be named "Bilora 1150 'Perfect Pro'", as they do with other products.

But I think for € 15.70 including VAT the quality is amazing. It is probably a chinese clone of an italian device and rebadged by Bilora.
Attached Images

Last edited by RKKS08; 05-22-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: improved information
05-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks RKKS08, That looks exactly like it, especially with your shot showing the Allen key. Thanks so much for taking the trouble to do this in your reply. A picture is worth...etc,. As you say, for the price the quality is amazing, but for me, not quite what I was expecting for something looking so large and impressive.