Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lens fit slop

Folks

I recently purchased a Tamron 70-200 2.8 (New) and I notice the lens mount fit has considerably more rotational (radial) slop than any of my three Pentax lenses. The camera is a new K5. I can not give a hard measurement on the amount of rotation but do get a distinct and noticeable amount of motion as I rotate it back and forth. It does not take much effort to move it. the fit is snug axially with no noticeable movement.

My Question: Is this sort of movement in the mount acceptable? If so, is there any practical way to determine when it reaches a degree where it is not acceptable?

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

Wayne

05-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here Wayne.
Generally, lenses should have minimal play in any direction.
But does your lens focus accurately, and does manual focusing operate smoothly on your copy?
If not, this would be good grounds to have the lens exchanged. Otherwise, have the lens looked at by your local lens repairer if you're not certain about the relevance of the radial play of the barrel. It may be nothing to worry about if it is otherwise operating as normal.
05-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
The lens does seem to focus properly and operate acceptably in all other regards. I guess my main concern is wear and tear on mount surfaces, both camera and lens, over time.

Thanks for the quick response.
05-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Additionally, I am curious to know if this particular characteristic is normal for this, or other, model of Tamron lens. If it is "par for the course" I will likely just live with it. If not, i.e Tamron lenses normally fit as snug as OEM, I will likely return for another copy. The problem with the second option is that it will likely result in having to wait for several weeks for the new one to arrive.

Best regards,

Wayne

05-22-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been previous threads about lens barrel play in lenses, not just Tamron ones, and generally it's of no consequence unless the lens is clearly falling apart. In these cases, it would be a matter of tightening some of the screws, and it's usually fixed. No minor lens play should affect a lens's life or that of the camera it is mounted on.