Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Which means you have to buy a whole new set of glass.
what a load of rubbish.

You need to get one new lens, to extend the bottom end of the focal length, not a whole new set.

the simpelest way for msot shooters to achieve this is by taking the kit lens, because most shooters never had wider than 28mm on film, so an 18mm kit lens does them just fine (at leas t to get started), and is the best value for the buck in any lens purchase.

If you want to go ultra wide, I agree, yes you need to perhaps purchase more than one lens, but in the general scheme of things it is not all that bad.

05-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Back at the dawn of the digital age the camera industry promised us that APS-C was only a temporary solution, that they'd be getting back to a 35mm frame as soon as they could make an affordable one. They've forgotten their promise.
there is a quote somewhere in one of my Murphy's Law books,
There is nothing so permenant as a temporary solution
05-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's funny, I think maybe you should read it over a few times. See if it still makes sense.
It does, but I fixed the handful of small typos that I suppose could have confused someone not familiar with perspective already. So feel free to read the post again. You'll find it to be a completely accurate description of perspective compression. It's not a full discussion of the topic, of course - entire books have been written on the subject of linear perspective - but there is nothing about what I posted that shouldn't make sense.

I suspect this is new information to you, which is why you found it confusing the first time. But I assure you, the properties of linear perspective have been well-understood for around 600 years now, and they have nothing to do with focal length, or cameras at all. It's all about position relative to the subject and nothing else. If it weren't, the last half millenium of art history would not have been possible.