Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #1

Pentax ZX-M film problem

Hi everyone!
I have a Pentax ZX-M that I have had for quite awhile and then I put it away for awhile. I recently dug it out and loaded film into it like I always did and as it was winding it in, 1 appears on the screen, for the first shot, and then all of a sudden it rewinds the film completely back into the canister. This has happened to 3 rolls of film thus far and it's getting expensive and very frustrating! I follow the film loading procedure and it still does this. HELP!!! Am I doing something wrong? I just want to use my camera again! Thanks!
Amber

05-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read somewhere that if the film isn't loading properly on this camera an E will show up in the LCD panel. Is this happening? And when you say "all of a sudden" is this before you hit the shutter button? What happens if you immediately take a shot, before it starts to rewind? It sounds like what typically happens with cameras when they've been stored for a while - oil or grease inside gets sticky and binds things up. It might be worth very gently warming the camera up eg stick it in your bed with an electric blanket or something like that. See if that loosens things up a bit. It might also be worth dry firing it a few times, without film in it, just to try and get things moving.

And welcome to the forum, by the way Amber. Sorry your first post has to be a problematic one. But someone here will have your camera and will know what to do.
05-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks the welcome and for responding. It does not say E, I have loaded the film wrong before and had that come up on the screen and I fixed the film and everything was fine. By all of a sudden I mean when I turn the camera on after loading the film it winds, says 1 on the screen and then before I can take a picture (like seconds later) it winds it back to 0. I am going to try dry firing it and seeing if that helps. It started doing this after I played around with preview button on the front (yet I hadn't taken any pictures yet) and it was during this that it rewound the film from 1 to 0 pix. It's done this now to 4 rolls of film and I am hesitant to try another one. I hope someone knows whats going on because I sure as heck don't!
05-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #4

I don't know what the main problem is but your film isn't wasted. There are a number of film retreivers available to pull the film leader back out of the canister.

06-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #5

I am having the same problem I will let you now if I find the answer.... if you already have please let me know? gone through 5 rolls now but going to try to find a film leader retriever
06-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Amber,can imagine Edielynn's' frustration with 5 rolls too.Had same thing happen
with zx-m here and a roll of kodak 400cn B/W last week.Was able to retrieve
leader,re-load in zx-m and shoot all 24 exposures as test roll for something.
Initially rewound when I engaged depth of field preview as you mentioned.
Firstly,dont want to sound like Im 'beating a dead horse',do want to insure you
have good batteries.Without film,lens mounted and zx-m powered up,
apeture set down to something like F/11 or smaller(bigger number)
Engage DOF preview and verify through viewfinder that lens/camera do
stop down.If so,check different apeture settings in same manner, to ensure proper operation.
If viewfinder does not darken and no noise is heard,power down and remove lens.
looking inside,on left side of opening,about center verticle you'll see small square fitting
that sits on top of a verticle slot or track.When found,power up and
very gently bump square fitting with finger tip in both directions (up/down).
If it is bound up,it should move and return to proper position.

There's some other things,but first things first.

Last edited by BillM; 06-12-2011 at 01:45 AM.
06-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
I have brand new batteries so that should not be an issue. I did take the lens off and made sure the square was not bound up. I moved up and slide back down to the original place. I checked the DOF finder after this and it darkened correctly etc. How were you able to retireive the leader on the film after it was rewound? I would like to do that and test the film before putting new film in, just in case it rewinds it again! Thanks for you tips, very helpful!
06-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
Any homemade leader retriever ides out there?

06-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sounds encouraging Amber.Bought retriever from Freestylephoto myself.They're
available from a number a suppliers like B&H and so on.Might be able to fabricate
yourself,would imagine cost of materials and gas running around town to aquire
would exceed cost of production unit.Roll of ektachrome I have,cant get ahold
of that little bugger with it,tempted to pick up plastic 35mm film catridges for
bulk loading,turn out lights and re-spool onto plastic cartridge.Maybe there's
something out there that works little better than what I have and someone
can fill us all in.

Edit:did try to snag sprocket hole with small piece of wire with hook bent on end,
pushed into cartridge and wiggled...no luck,got mad,cussed(alot) broke down and bought.

Last edited by BillM; 06-13-2011 at 08:31 PM.
06-16-2011, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Any local photo labs will have a leader retriever, and may be willing to do it for you.
06-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Any local photo labs will have a leader retriever, and may be willing to do it for you.
Sounds like pretty good option,noticed on instructions included with retriever here
its mentioned several attempts are often required for results,have to be patient.
My basement being my local photo-lab,was seduced by temptation and respooled
on re-usable plastic cartridge.Retriver handy to have in bag just in case,re-spooling
a little more sure-fire for myself,your results may vary.
06-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by saab_princess_21 Quote
Any homemade leader retriever ides out there?
If you have a negative strip, insert that into the slot on the canister, twist the hub back till you hear the leader "click" as it passes the negative strip, then twist the hub forward. It may take a few tries, but the leader should ride over the top of the negative strip and out the slot. You can also try a strip of thin stiff paper like from a manila folder.
06-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #13

Original Poster
BillM. I have bought and successfully used the leader retriever, however it is still rewinding the film and a new problem has been presented. When I take the lens off to (this is the only way I can explain it and I don't know the correct terminology so I apologize) there is the little door like flap that hinges in the back and moves forward or back. It is stuck up (though moves freely, it just won't stay down). This is making it so that I can not see anything when I look through the viewfinder. HELP!!! I feel like this simple relaxing hobby has turned into a monster. I just want to be able to take pictures again
06-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by saab_princess_21 Quote
this simple relaxing hobby has turned into a monster
Doesnt sound good Amber.Major problems in drive train.Its fixable,but would
take more money than its worth to have done professionally.Is also possible
to repair yourself,thats up to you.There are threads in film/SLR section that
detail how and list part source's.Sheech!,feel bad for you and guilty on this
end for having one of those darn things that works.Hope you dont want to
'chuck' that thing thru computer and hit me in the head with it.
Your doing great with extractor,1 for 1 "aint bad", 3 for 5 here
Again,feel badly for you Amber,these cameras arent built for the 'long run'
kind of brought into the world on the cusp of the digital age and seem to
be manufactured with that thought in mind.
06-22-2011, 04:05 AM   #15

Original Poster
BillM,
I hear all the gears etc working just fine, is that a good sign that maybe it needs some oil or something? Everything seems to be running inside, just not catching the little door thingy to move it down. I really hope that it doesn't have to be fixed with alot of money, I have a soft spot for it and don't want to have to get rid of it......