Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #1

Folders created by the camera

I have read a couple of threads about folders created on the card in the camera, but no one has asked if there is a way to eliminate them.

I really don't like the images being created in folders, it just doesn't work for me. I hold all my photos in folders on the computer, but there is more than one person in my family taking photos (with different cameras) and we have our own system which works well.

Until I come to get the photos off my K-x. I have seen there is an option that toggles between two different forms of folder name, but is there any way I can stop the camera creating folders completely?

Any help very gratefully received.

05-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check your manual of course. I don't have a K-x but my K10/20/100ds/5 all have the option to store files in folders by date or not. I have all my cameras set up that way, but recall that this was not the default setting in the menus.
05-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You have a choice in the Setup 2 menu between Date and PENTX. If you choose PENTX, the card will have a folder called DCIM, and a folder within that named 100PENTX. Then all your photos will be in that one folder, except if the card has over 500 photos on it. Then the camera will create a second folder named 101PENTX, and so on for each group of 500.

I think the camera also creates a new folder if you go from IMGP9999.xxx back to IMGP0000.xxx. If the camera does create a new folder name, I rename it back to 100PENTX after downloading the images and keep all my cards the same.

As far as I know, that's the minimum number of folders on a card.

More info is on p. 252 of the K-x manual, p. 279 in the K-r manual. The K-7 is similar to the K-x.
05-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the camera didn't create folders at all, most software wouldn't know how to access the images. There are standards for this sort of thing, and cameras and software about adhere to them.

but whether there are folders on the card or not should have no bearing on where you put the pictures on your computer. Any photo downloading program worth anything would give you options to control where your downloaded pictures go - you aren't compelled to keep the camera's folder structure at all.

05-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies - so it looks like the answer to my question is no.

QuoteQuote:
If the camera didn't create folders at all, most software wouldn't know how to access the images.
I am perfectly happy to have a folder - I would just like it to be the same folder. My Fuji also creates a DCIM folder, but it then stores all the photos directly in it. No sub-folders. They are always in the same place. On my Pentax the name of the source folder varies depending on how many "shoots" I keep on the camera.

QuoteQuote:
Any photo downloading program worth anything would give you options to control where your downloaded pictures go.
That's true, but I use a general file transfer program called Beyond Compare for all this type of thing and, because it stores frequently used tasks, it would be a lot easier if the source were always the same folder.

There are always ways round these things, but just putting all the photos (OK - I can live a 500 image max) in one place would, for me, be a big help.

Having had a gripe I must say I love my new K-x.

Thanks again for the help.
05-24-2011, 02:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Farmer_Terry Quote
Thanks all for the replies - so it looks like the answer to my question is no.

I am perfectly happy to have a folder - I would just like it to be the same folder. ......

........ but just putting all the photos (OK - I can live a 500 image max) in one place would, for me, be a big help.

Having had a gripe I must say I love my new K-x.

Thanks again for the help.
But this is exactly what you can do with your K-x (up to 500 images). Consult you manual, "Setting the Image Naming Convention". (Or go directly to the Set-up Menu and find "Folder Name" there).

Note: If I were you and for several reasons - including safety - I would normally empty my card long before I have 500 pictures on it.
05-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
But this is exactly what you can do with your K-x
Thanks. I have set the folder name to xxxPENTAX and, if the folder 101PENTAX only gets created once the number of stored images gets to 500, that is indeed exactly what I want.

QuoteQuote:
I would normally empty my card long before I have 500 pictures on it.
500 images will take me a year, even if I see my granddaughters every week and I do clear the images off very frequently, so I am unlikely ever to get close to that number.

Thanks again everyone.