Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

K-5 Sigma 18-250 EXIF lens type missing

I am brand new to Pentax, having been a Nikon user for years. I just purchased a K-5 and just love its performance and feature set.

I have tried both the Tamron 18-200 and the Sigma 18-250. In general, the Sigma is a much better lens in terms of build quality, lens creep and usability.

However, one issue I am having with the Sigma is that the lens type does not show in any software have tried, including Lightroom 3.3 and EXIFTool. I use the Lens type for a lot of filtering in Lightroom. In addition, Lightroom has a lens proifile for the Sigma 18-250 for automatic lens corrections, but since the EXIF data is either missing or not decipherable, I cannot use this feature without manually setting the lens type. The other EXIF data like aperature, focal length, speed, etc. shows OK.

Can anyone help with this issue?

05-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations for joining Pentax.

The Sigma 18-250mm is considered superior to the older 18-200mm lenses. However a third option is the Pentax DA18-250mm. You can find some excellent copies in the marketplace, in reputed 2nd hand equipment stores (keh.com. adorama.com) and ebya beteen US$350-450. The DA18-250mm is highly regarded and it is recognised in most photo softwares.

Food for thoughts....
05-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eliglass Quote
but since the EXIF data is either missing or not decipherable, I cannot use this feature without manually setting the lens type. The other EXIF data like aperature, focal length, speed, etc. shows OK.

Sigma reverse engineer the k-mount and this is one issue with their less than perfect job. I have a Sigma lens and it also can't seemingly identify itself accurately. Perhaps there's a way to do a batch update of the meta data say during import? I don't know, I just live with the issue and don't use my Sigma much anyway.
05-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
The Pentax 18-250 is just a repackaged Tamron 18-250, and is no longer being manufactured. Since the Tamron 18-200 feels so cheap and has significant lens creep, I don't think trying to find a used Pentax (Tamron) 18-250 will work for me. I really like the build quality, autofocus speed and quiet, and usability of the Sigma. The IQ is also fairly good for a superzoom. It would be nice if I could use the EXIF Lens Type in Lightroom for lens correction, however.

05-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

The Pentax 18-250 is just a repackaged Tamron 18-250, and is no longer being manufactured. Since the Tamron 18-200 feels so cheap and has significant lens creep, I don't think trying to find a used Pentax (Tamron) 18-250 will work for me. I really like the build quality, autofocus speed and quiet, and usability of the Sigma. The IQ is also fairly good for a superzoom. It would be nice if I could use the EXIF Lens Type in Lightroom for lens correction, however.
Eliglass,
The Tamron 18-250m/DA18-250mm is considered one of the best all-around lens across all brands incl. Nikon, Canon, Oly and Sony. It is relatively easy to source at Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com and Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera (Used equipment). The IQ is definitely above the older 18-200mm designs, and in par with the Sigma 18-250mm.

You may read more about the DA18-250m in this forum where several professionals use it. You may also read some independent reviews at:
Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro AF (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
" The 18-250mm beat its 18-200mm predecessor all hollow when it came to sharpness. Wide open, the 18-250 was much better behaved, and sharpness was markedly better across the board."
Pentax SMC DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] - Review / Lab Test Report
"The Pentax SMC DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] is a worthy representative of its species."

In fact, the Sigma has an unnecessary feature (OS) that is redundant with the camera IS (called SR by Pentax).You need to swith off either the OS or the SR because they are not compatible.

IS = in-camera image stabilisation
OS = in-lens optical stabilisation
SR = shake reduction - Pentax name for IS

In my case I work a lot outdoor and I value highly the robustness and sturdyness of the DA18-250mm. I tested both the Sigma 18-200mm OS HSM, Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM and DA18-250mm before I purchased mine. The Sigma lenses are bulkier and the HSM is a reliability in harsh conditions IMHO. My decision was easy: the DA18-250mm was my best choice. It was my first Pentax lens and it is my most-used lens to date.

Food for thoughts...
05-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I am brand new to Pentax, having been a Nikon user for years. I just purchased a K-5 and just love its performance and feature set.

I have tried both the Tamron 18-200 and the Sigma 18-250. In general, the Sigma is a much better lens in terms of build quality, lens creep and usability.

However, one issue I am having with the Sigma is that the lens type does not show in any software have tried, including Lightroom 3.3 and EXIFTool. I use the Lens type for a lot of filtering in Lightroom. In addition, Lightroom has a lens proifile for the Sigma 18-250 for automatic lens corrections, but since the EXIF data is either missing or not decipherable, I cannot use this feature without manually setting the lens type. The other EXIF data like aperature, focal length, speed, etc. shows OK.

[tone=slight sarcasm]Damn digital cameras are s'pose ta make photography fun and easy. Not give us more to fuss 'bout. [/tone]
05-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

In addition, Lightroom has a lens profile for the Sigma 18-250 for automatic lens corrections, but since the EXIF data is either missing or not decipherable, I cannot use this feature without manually setting the lens type.
You can teach Lightroom to always use the correct lens profile for your lens.

Once you made all the correct settings in the "Lens Correction" panel manually, click on "Custom" next to "Setup". Then select "Save new lens profile defaults".

After that Lightroom will remember the correct lens profile settings for your lens.

I wish I had an easy answer for correcting the lens identification string in Lightroom as well but I currently don't. Your best bet currently is probably to use exiftool to replace lens IDs.
05-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the informative answer. A couple of follow-up questions:

1. Once you save the new lens profile defaults, how does Lightroom know what profile to use since it doesn't give you a chance to name the profile and it cannot link to the camera type since that EXIF data is missing or invalid. This is expecially an issue since I use several different lenses. I don't want to Sigma lens profile to be used for all lenses. I must be missing something here.

2. I know how to use the EXIFTool, but how do I figure out what the correct Lens Type code should be in the EXIF data? Right now it looks like it is incoding (8 8), which Lightoom and EXIFTool don't recognize.