Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Kx Action shots blurry

I am hoping someone here can help. I got a Kx recently and I can't seem to get one moving shot that is not blurry. I find the manual very hard to follow and it doesn't seem to give me a direct answer. I even had a photographer friend try and they can't figure it out. Even a shot of my son will be clear, but if he moves his hand that will blur. I have even tried it on the 'action' setting with the running man symbol and it doesn't work either.

05-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put the camera in Tv (shutter priority). Set ISO to auto and shutter speed to say 200. Fire away!
05-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
Forum Member

The smaller the number for shutter speed (1/100 is faster than 1/10), the faster the shutter and less motion blur. When you have a faster shutter speed, however, you will need a larger aperture or higher iso to compensate.

Put your shutter speed to 1/1000. if there isn't enough light, then slow down the shutter speed but not any slower than 1/100
Hold down the shutter button until the Shake reduction hand shows up through the viewfinder
Shoot.

Last edited by jellyfish26; 05-23-2011 at 06:43 PM.
05-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Set ISO to auto and shutter speed to say 200
I would say start by using a shutter speed of 1000 or even higher, then make your adjustments downwards until you get the subject(s) you are shooting blur free and make sure you have a good cushion -> if your subject is blur free right at @ 400 SS, make your adjustments and shoot around 500...

Edit: I am guessing that you are shooting moving subjects and not having an issue with camera shake.

----

05-23-2011, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

To freeze action you need 1/500 or 1/800
Also AS we have no clue wich mode you shoot, you need to get a good book on photo introduction
I propose Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
05-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Use the big dial on top, select the icon showing a running man. Take pictures of running men. Ta-daaaaa!
05-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 To Bobmaxja - Petersons book makes it so clear...

05-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Use the big dial on top, select the icon showing a running man. Take pictures of running men. Ta-daaaaa!
OP:

I have even tried it on the 'action' setting with the running man symbol and it doesn't work either
05-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rydalot Quote
I am hoping someone here can help. I got a Kx recently and I can't seem to get one moving shot that is not blurry. I find the manual very hard to follow and it doesn't seem to give me a direct answer. I even had a photographer friend try and they can't figure it out. Even a shot of my son will be clear, but if he moves his hand that will blur. I have even tried it on the 'action' setting with the running man symbol and it doesn't work either.
The "running man" sport mode is a good start. But it only works if you have set a sufficient ISO for the available light, alternatively auto ISO. Otherwise the camera will be forced to use a slow shutter speed. That's the reason for motion blur.

Suggested fix: Press the ISO button and set auto iso up to 3200.

Alternative fixes:
1. Try daytime outside where light is plenty.
2. Use the flash.
3. Stay in the wideangle range of the lens, it lets in more light that way.

Sincerely,
--Anders.
05-24-2011, 02:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Freezing motion requires a fast shutter speed. How fast a shutter speed depends on subject speed and direction relative to the camera. For instance, you will need a faster shutter speed to freeze the motion of a speeding train moving from left to right across your frame, but you won't need as fast a shutter speed if the speeding train is heading directly towards your frame.

We can do a better job of diagnosing your problem and proposing a solution if you post an example photo with exif data intact.
05-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. This is my first camera that is not point and shoot so I am really lost. I have set the camera in auto mode to the max 3200 as suggested, but can't find where to set the shutter speed. As of now, the display on my camera in action mode reads anywhere from 1/20 to a max of 1/125. I have attached a picture where my son's left hand blurred in the shot but everything else was fine.
Attached Images

05-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. This is my first camera that is not point and shoot so I am really lost. I have set the camera in auto mode to the max 3200 as suggested, but can't find where to set the shutter speed. As of now, the display on my camera in action mode reads anywhere from 1/20 to a max of 1/125. I have attached a picture where my son's left hand blurred in the shot but everything else was fine.
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Put the camera in Tv (shutter priority). Set ISO to auto and shutter speed to say 200. Fire away!
That's what you're looking for right there - Tv mode is "time value". It lets you directly set the shutter speed and then the camera does the rest.
05-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I have set the camera in auto mode to the max 3200 as suggested, but can't find where to set the shutter speed..
Moving Object / Action mode doesn't allow you to directly set the shutter speed so you'll need Tv as suggested.

Added: Can you post the exif info of what speed the shutter was at with that photo? It gives everyone (and you) and idea of where you need to go with respect to shutter speed and possibly ISO.
05-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cutie there. Stick with it Rydalot - you're almost there.

Go flip through "Understanding Exposure" at the local Chapters... its $30 worth investing. You'll find every picture he's included has speed/ISO/ and Aperture listed. Get in the habit it of sharing that info and these guys on the forum can be quite helpful.
05-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agree - you need to understand exposure. It's a basic fundamental concept common to all cameras, P&S, DSLR, and film alike. The same exact three factors are in place no matter hwat: shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. Turning one up means turning one of the others down to compensate. All cameras - again, including most P&S cameras - give you controls to do this automatically, so when you turn up the shutter speed, they automatically adjust the others. So you just need to learn the basics of how this works and then you'll be good to go with *any* camera.

To stop motion like in the child's hand, you'd need a shutter speeds well faster than 1/100 second. That means turning up ISO very high and/or opening the aperture as large as it goes, but most likely, you're already maxing out on both counts. The only solution is more light. That's what flash was invented for.