Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kyles_jollies Quote
Good ideas all around however the mounting screw actually spins when I turn it. I think the bit where the mounting screw meets the camera is actually broken inside. Because at the moment not only does the screw spin in the base of camera but it can actually wiggle, a bit like a loose tooth....
Sorry, I didn't read this one... It seems the female tripod socket that should be secured to the camera chassis has come off. Unscrew the base plate screws and see if the tripod screw, base plate and the tripod socket can be removed all at once. If so, grab the the tripod screw with one vice-grip and the socket with another and twist it off. Put the base plate back on, so that you can continue to shoot and get the K-7 serviced once you are back home.

Thanks,

Somewhat chagrined that a flagship model Pentax DSLR could lose the tripod socket like that. I better ease up on cranking on the quick disconnect plate to the K20D.

05-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I better ease up on cranking on the quick disconnect plate to the K20D.
In the old days there used to be a warning in the book.
Max 5.5 mm which is only 3+ turns.
Don't let the screw bottom out. Instead, leave it slightly loose and tighten the jamb nut against the bottom of the camera
05-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somewhat chagrined that a flagship model Pentax DSLR could lose the tripod socket like that.
You did read that the tripod fell with the camera attached, right?
05-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Somewhat chagrined that a flagship model Pentax DSLR could lose the tripod socket like that. I better ease up on cranking on the quick disconnect plate to the K20D.
Yes well, they are cameras, not hammers. Expect them to break when they get used as the head of a 5 or so foot impact device.

05-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. I'm found a watch repair in the village and found some small enough tools. I will give taking the base plate off a go and seeing if that helps. Other wise I'll be waiting another couple weeks until I can get to Vientiane, which is the largest city (and capital) in Laos. I'm sure there's a camera shop there.

I need to new lens also because in same instant when the camera fell, the lens got damaged also. So in the mean time, I'll be shooting with a 90mm macro and my 70-200mm until I can something that can achieve wider angles. A bit of a pain not having a wide-normal angle lens, but travel insurance should sort it out

Check out my blog if your are interested.

Many Moments
05-24-2011, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
In the old days there used to be a warning in the book.
Max 5.5 mm which is only 3+ turns.
Don't let the screw bottom out. Instead, leave it slightly loose and tighten the jamb nut against the bottom of the camera
That's what I do where jamb nut is available (Manfrotto hexagon plates) but quick disconnect plates these days don't have seem to have a jamb nut at all (Manfrotto RC2). I don't know if the screw in RC2 plates bottom out or not (it doesn't feel so) but I do admit to being a bit apprehensive when I use the RC2 plate vs hexagon plate.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yes well, they are cameras, not hammers. Expect them to break when they get used as the head of a 5 or so foot impact device.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
You did read that the tripod fell with the camera attached, right?
I did read that, however the tripod socket breaking off is the last thing I'd expect from a fall. But having reread the OP's initial post - it's a freak accident where nothing else broke - it was an accident waiting to happen. Looking at the picture, the head mounting screw was probably screwed in very tight, bottoming out against the chassis and putting enormous strain on the tripod socket. When the tripod fell the impact 'popped' the socket from the chassis, which probably would not happen if the head was in between the tripod legs and the camera.

I apologize to Pentax and to the members of the forum for passing a snap judgement for what was a freak accident. Quite possibly a blessing in disguise for the OP that nothing else was damaged.

Edit: Oh dear, it looks as if I am not reading anything in the thread at all. But seeing as how I started my reply, had supper and watched a bit of hockey before coming back to finish the reply, the lag in thread sequence becomes clear. kyles jollies, enjoying the pictures of your travels in your blog.

Thanks,

Last edited by excanonfd; 05-24-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: additional notes