Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Lets put it this way then... If it is a Pentax brand lens, we can say without reservation, that it will fit your modern Pentax DSLR. True some of the functions will not work (due to lack of mechanical linkages), but the lens will do it's job. And it will not hurt your camera.

Just be careful of off-brand lenses marketed as Pentax compatible. Some as Bill R says could be Ricoh-mount (which was a modified PK with a locking pin) and will go on, but will not come off unless the lens has had the pin removed.

Mike
That's excellent advice. And just be careful with 3rd party lenses that might have that extended flange (there are a few) that could possibly cause damage. Don't try and force them on if they don't fit - check it out first. I'm just the unlucky one that had 2 lenses with that extended flange.

05-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
You are of course right that there are certain pitfalls - but then a Rioch Mount (with the notorious pin) is NOT a K-mount (not even a third-party K-mount); nor is a Fuji mount so, even though it may look like a K-mount ---- and a knowing sales person would know, wouldn't he?
Those pitfalls are what need to be more addressed. It isn't Pentax I'm questioning but the comments often made by forum members that generalise the same without including the exclusions.
As for the salesman, there seems to be a general consensus in this thread that he is clueless wrt Pentax. Well, maybe he is or maybe he is just inexperienced but that is a total assumption. Most of the salespeople I deal with (large scale industrial equipment) are totally clueless about technical aspects (especially ones 20 or more years old) but they sure do know how to sell stuff.

So, usually, there is compatibility but watch out with Ricoh pins and extended flanges on some 3rd party lenses is a positive lesson to be learnt.
05-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
Hi there...I'm currently employed overseas and I've been asking my mother back at home to keep her eyes peeled for 2nd hand lenses for my camera. I'm using a K-x and I'm looking for a decent fast prime...F1.4 - 1.8. Anyway...she went to a shop that sells lenses and was talking to the owner there. After her visit she then told me that the guy told her that it's not a good idea to use 2nd hand lenses with a new camera. I haven't heard the reason why yet and am waiting for the next chance to ask her about what the guy said exactly and why. Is there some credibility to this? Please inform if there is, because I'm really getting the feeling from this website that it's both perfectly okay, and perfectly normal to be using older lenses with a Pentax DSLR.
Is right...

Tell mom to stay away from that shop. Not only is it Normal to use older (second hand) lenses, it's more economical (sometimes) and in many cases, for a lot of reasons, more desirable. Many people, well one anyway (me), gravitate towards the brand for the backward compatibility.

My unknowing guess is that this guy is trying to stay afloat. He can't make enough money off of pre-owned lenses to help him stay afloat due to the ability of Anybody to sell online these days. He didn't say old lenses, he said (according to your mom) Second Hand. I could sell all of my DA and DA* lenses today. While the new owner would be getting them As Is (they all work), it doesn't change the fact that they are designed to work with the DSLRs AND, would be second hand.

05-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #19

When I was looking around for my first non P&S camera I was drawn towards Canikon since that's what you see everywhere.

The employee at our local camera shop told me about Pentax and the fact that it has the widest range of lenses due to backwards compatibility.

I started researching Pentax, found this site, saw that the K-x was pretty much the best beginner DSLR on the market.

2 months later I bought one. got a 28-80 Sigma macro lens on ebay for $35 and a Ricoh Rikenon XR 50mm f2.0 for $25.

I don't regret my purchase one bit.

Also, I liked the feel of the k-x better than D3000/D5000 or T1i/T2i when I was trying them out. Bonus.

05-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only thing I can think of is that with older lenses (obviously not all old lenses) you have to use them in full manual but he better not be talking about IQ. Some older lenses produce better IQ. Either way I agree that the employee probably wants to sell new lenses because they make more money off them.
05-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

for certain he wants to sell new lenses, though if he had a decent used shop he'd probably do well of trade ins (typically they give the seller little towards the new product and then double the price they paid - far more than they make on new lenses.
sounds like he's not a pentax dealer either as i've yet to meet one who didn't talk up that aspect of the brand - and is one of the main reasons i shoot pentax - nikon was my second choice due to this back in the film days in the 90's
i have about 18 lenses right now most of them old and all of them work just fine
05-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
Those pitfalls are what need to be more addressed. It isn't Pentax I'm questioning but the comments often made by forum members that generalise the same without including the exclusions.

-----

So, usually, there is compatibility but watch out with Ricoh pins and extended flanges on some 3rd party lenses is a positive lesson to be learnt.
You surely have a point here. In another thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/140226-...k20d-crap.html

where we discussed the flange issue about a month ago, Lowell Goudge made the proposal that

"....maybe what we need, is a single sticky, at the top of each forum titled "Is it safe to....." "

The idea to have a - sticky! - thread about this alongside with the current sticky ones on manual lenses does seem highly desirable.
05-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #23
Pentaxian

My old Cosinon-S 50/1.4 slid straight on to my istD* with no worries whatsoever, but when I went to put it on the K-7, found it a bit sticky, I think its the SDM contacts that might be the fouling point. Having said that, it always slid onto the old MZ-5n, that has the contacts (just like the K-7) for the powerzooms of the day.

05-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
There is minor credibility due to the flange on some older non-Pentax lenses and the need to remove the Ricoh pin if the lens has one.
That is a credibility issue with manufacturers other than Pentax.
Pentax cannot be responsible for the failures of other manufacturers to follow their mount specification.
Any Pentax lens, be it K-mount or M42 mount will mount and work with any Pentax K-Mount camera, including DSLRs'
05-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Asahi - Pentax

What about lenses that have these two names inside (I've done some browsing on e-bay and come across this) Are they Pentax lenses? OR third party? Are there any compatibility issues with these that anyone knows of?
05-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #26
Inactive Account

They are Pentax for all intents and purposes. They May be M42 screw mount (takumar of some flavor) however and will require an adapter to use. Some of the best lenses ever made, of the day (and some would argue even by todays standards). If you really want to understand what you are looking at, check out the lens club forum and the lens database.

05-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
You surely have a point here. In another thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/140226-...k20d-crap.html

where we discussed the flange issue about a month ago, Lowell Goudge made the proposal that

"....maybe what we need, is a single sticky, at the top of each forum titled "Is it safe to....." "

The idea to have a - sticky! - thread about this alongside with the current sticky ones on manual lenses does seem highly desirable.
I'd agree with a sticky somewhere or an exclusion in the sticky for manual or older lenses.
Interesting when I looked at that thread that the flange with the Vivitar seemed to extend further around the lens while the Sigma 70-210 I have seems to extend further inwards (according to the link I found on the problem with that lens anyway).
05-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
What about lenses that have these two names inside (I've done some browsing on e-bay and come across this) Are they Pentax lenses? OR third party? Are there any compatibility issues with these that anyone knows of?
Asahi was the parent company to Pentax... You may also see "Honeywell Pentax." Both are genuine PENTAX brandings.

Mike
05-25-2011, 05:25 AM   #29
Pentaxian

If someone is willing and has the time to compile a list of the most common lens related questions and answers, let me know and I would be happy to make it a sticky at the top of the Lens Forum.

Mike
PF Moderation Team