Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 03:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
So..the guy at the lens shop said no?

Hi there...I'm currently employed overseas and I've been asking my mother back at home to keep her eyes peeled for 2nd hand lenses for my camera. I'm using a K-x and I'm looking for a decent fast prime...F1.4 - 1.8. Anyway...she went to a shop that sells lenses and was talking to the owner there. After her visit she then told me that the guy told her that it's not a good idea to use 2nd hand lenses with a new camera. I haven't heard the reason why yet and am waiting for the next chance to ask her about what the guy said exactly and why. Is there some credibility to this? Please inform if there is, because I'm really getting the feeling from this website that it's both perfectly okay, and perfectly normal to be using older lenses with a Pentax DSLR.

05-24-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The shop owner wants to sell new lenses.
05-24-2011, 04:08 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And/or is clueless.

Um, this is Pentax we're talking about-- world class backward capability.

Or does the guy at the shop think it's ok to mount a Super Tak on your new camera, but only if it came in the original box?
05-24-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What Boris said... or he's a Canon or Nikon shooter that can't use older lenses because they won't fit his camera...

Mike

05-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The owner of the studio I work with has been told by Nikon's own repair people that using older lenses with Nikon DSLRs can be problematic even though they fit and work. Apparently they aren't 100% mechanically compatible and can cause damage to the diaphragm actuators, which were spring driven on older cameras but are now micro-motor driven.
This won't be a problem with Pentax, but it may be why the camera store guy in this instance is warning the OP off of used lenses.
05-24-2011, 05:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Holy crap, that's news. I guess I have to sell off about 30 of my old lenses now. What was I thinking, buying those cheap old lenses?
05-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Backwards compatibility is exactly why I bought into Pentax. None of my old lenses has done any damage whatsoever to the new K100DS I had or the K7 I now have and I don't ever expect them to. You go for it, fella.

05-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
This is all great news so far! Keep it coming - I love hearing it!
05-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
Hi there...I'm currently employed overseas and I've been asking my mother back at home to keep her eyes peeled for 2nd hand lenses for my camera. I'm using a K-x and I'm looking for a decent fast prime...F1.4 - 1.8. Anyway...she went to a shop that sells lenses and was talking to the owner there. After her visit she then told me that the guy told her that it's not a good idea to use 2nd hand lenses with a new camera. I haven't heard the reason why yet and am waiting for the next chance to ask her about what the guy said exactly and why. Is there some credibility to this? Please inform if there is, because I'm really getting the feeling from this website that it's both perfectly okay, and perfectly normal to be using older lenses with a Pentax DSLR.
Perhaps you/your mother should rather visit shop(s) that specializes in selling used (preferably even used vintage) lenses. They will NOT give such silly advice, and they (the decent ones) will have tested the lenses and often provide a decent warranty.

That comes at a certain +price of course, but then there is e-bay. Have you ever visited e-bay and searched for "Pentax"? Difficult to get away again, once you have been there......

You should of course also visit the Market Place at this site!!!

Last edited by Stone G.; 05-24-2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Sorry, I forgot........
05-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is probably out of complete ignorance, and nothing else.

If you want a great example of how deep this ignorance goes, look at shutterbug magazine from last year. One edition had an article discussing backwards compatibility, and barely mentioned pentax. I wrote in and criticized them about the lack of mention about pentax and they published my letter later in the year. The in the summer they had a letter asking help in using screw mounts, and said that there were adaptors for canon and nikon but none of the functions would work, even metering.

I wrote in again, (they didn't print this one) and really tore into them and the lack of technical oversight, for not mentioning pentac and the functionality with older lenses, even though there was an article in the same edition discussing that very point. OOPS!

In general, even the photo press is ignorant of what pentax cameras can do.

What I find in reading articles these days is that they use canon and nikon (and photoshop) as adjectives describing what they do. If it is not one of these brands, it simpy does not exist.

It goes as far as an article about recropping a shot, saying that to do this you needed to open the image in lightroom 3 or photoshop 5, then crop. Why not just say any photo editor?

I think they get paid based upon thenumber of times they mention a brand in the text. (but that's just me, and I seem to have hijacked the thread a little - sorry)
05-24-2011, 06:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
(but that's just me, and I seem to have hijacked the thread a little - sorry)
It was a great rant, Lowell.
05-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slr_neophyte Quote
There is minor credibility due to the flange on some older non-Pentax lenses and the need to remove the Ricoh pin if the lens has one. I've just posted a new thread on this after finding all of my old Sigma lenses (the whole 2 of them - lol) would need to be modified to work with a k-r and that the kit 18-55 lens won't fit a set of King Auto Extension tubes.

So, yeah, the guy wants to sell a new lens but the general advice that "any k-mount lens will work with newer DSLR's" has some exceptions. In my case, all 3 I wanted to initially use won't work - 2 might with modification.
05-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
There is minor credibility due to the flange on some older non-Pentax lenses and the need to remove the Ricoh pin if the lens has one. I've just posted a new thread on this after finding all of my old Sigma lenses (the whole 2 of them - lol) would need to be modified to work with a k-r and that the kit 18-55 lens won't fit a set of King Auto Extension tubes.

So, yeah, the guy wants to sell a new lens but the general advice that "any k-mount lens will work with newer DSLR's" has some exceptions. In my case, all 3 I wanted to initially use won't work - 2 might with modification.
If you consider this from pentax's point of view, all PENTAX lenses work just fine. They have no obligation to be compatible to third party lenses, but in general, the issues of the long activation lever flange, and the ricoh pin are both very well documented.
05-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Lets put it this way then... If it is a Pentax brand lens, we can say without reservation, that it will fit your modern Pentax DSLR. True some of the functions will not work (due to lack of mechanical linkages), but the lens will do it's job. And it will not hurt your camera.

Just be careful of off-brand lenses marketed as Pentax compatible. Some as Bill R says could be Ricoh-mount (which was a modified PK with a locking pin) and will go on, but will not come off unless the lens has had the pin removed.

Mike
05-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

There is minor credibility ...... but the general advice that "any k-mount lens will work with newer DSLR's" has some exceptions. In my case, all 3 I wanted to initially use won't work - 2 might with modification.
You are somewhat right but then also somewhat wrong.

You are of course right that there are certain pitfalls - but then a Rioch Mount (with the notorious pin) is NOT a K-mount (not even a third-party K-mount); nor is a Fuji mount so, even though it may look like a K-mount ---- and a knowing sales person would know, wouldn't he?