Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problems with K-X exposure

Can anyone help me to understand why, on a bright sunny day I seem to get grossly over exposed images in Automatic mode? I can bring in some nice images in manual mode and believe therefore that the problem is not because the situation is too bright for the meter to cope with.
I would be grateful for some advice on this if anybody knows a solution. Many thanks in advance

05-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Forum Member

Is the whole picture overexposed or just certain parts? (background, subject, etc)

In a bright sunny day, the camera may choose to properly expose the background and therefore overexposing. When the background is very bright or the light source is behind the subject, try center weighted exposure.

Last edited by jellyfish26; 05-24-2011 at 05:11 PM.
05-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Post a sample pic with exif data included. Then we won't have to guess what the problem is and will be able to give you useful advice.

But honestly, you shouldn't use auto mode anyway. You will get better, more consistent results when you tell the camera what to do, rather than letting it decide.

Also, visit this site to learn about the sunny 16 rule and how not to rely on your camera's meter:

Ultimate Exposure Computer
05-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My guess is that the camera is metering for a specific area in your photos and therefore over exposing the other areas. What metering mode are you using? A sample pic with exif data will help with diagnosis.

05-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sound slike you might be using spot metering? If so, don't, switch to multi-segment or centre weighted.
05-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Drew, we can only speculate what the unexpected result might be caused by from the limited information and absence of photo example to go by.
Reset your camera settings, keeping everything 'green' (the auto ISO and metering modes must also be set to the green settings) and try again, then post an example of what you consider an overexposed image in auto mode.