Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #16

Graduation photos are a pain. I tried shooting my girlfriend's college graduation a couple weeks ago. I was sitting fairly far away and on the side of the stage, and the gym was dark as hell. The whole experience pretty much killed any confidence I had in shooting at events myself (even though I was clearly in no position to get good shots).

That said, your shots turned out pretty nice, especially the outdoor ones.

05-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
Marc, maybe I misspoke, the picture at a distance was simply to show how far I was. I'll try to find one that shows the flash better. (it was so overpowered that most were horribly overexposed.)
I'll post one up later tonight
Although bad pictures, I think these show what I was talking about.

05-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
I just graduated from USC, and from post-processing pix taken on point and shoot cameras and Nikkor 18-55 kit lenses at my graduation (my K-x was down, Tamron was sent away for repair), the 7-200 F/2.8 will not be an overkill.
05-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SlickYamaha Quote
Although bad pictures, I think these show what I was talking about.
Look at the second picture. Your flash illuminated the next few rows of people, then started to fall off. The front row of people are in complete shadow, as is the front face of the stage itself, as is the person walking up the steps. Only the people *on* the stage are well illuminated. That can't be from your flash. I still say, the only reason the stage is overexposed is because the shutter speed was too slow, just as it was in the previous example you posted from the back of the room without flash.

In the first example, the ISO is all the way up to 6400, so indeed, you'd get more flash range than at 1600. So it might indeed have been the case. From the subjects' eyes, it seems pretty clear there *was* flash involved. But on more than one occasion, I've taken pictures that turned out to be illuminated by someone *else's* flash; I wouldn't rule out that possibility either.

05-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Your photos were quite ok in my book. I just got back from my daughter's confirmation (catholic sacrament) at church. 95% of my photos were total garbage. Only saving grace (pun intended) were a) my wife's new Oly SZ 30 MR and b) after ceremony photos I took. I feel like an idiot with a K5. Have to practice more