Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #16

Original Poster
Hello All,

My K7 arrived and I jt bought the tamron 18-250 and played around a bit. So far WOW... Oh and I downloaded the program to check the shutter count and it was 532. not only does it look new without a scratch on it, but it was hardly used... I scored at $500 I think...

Marc

06-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by addicted2climbing Quote
but curious about the high ISO issues. Unsure if it will be an issue for me as I will probably never use this camera to its fullest potential but then again I am sure ot be caught in low light at times. Is it really a bad mark on the K7?
Shooting active people in low light might present a problem, you'll need a reasonable shutter speed for that and high ISO is an easy way to fast shutter speeds. Static scenery at dusk etc should be fine with the K7.

Sincerely,
--Anders.
06-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #18
Forum Member

Good choice i think going with K-7 you can upgrade one day to the K-5 when the next new camera from pentax comes out if you want, You'll get them cheaper or jump straight to the newest K-whatever itll be =D
06-15-2011, 05:14 AM   #19
Inactive Account

I am going to look at a preowned new no pictures taken K-R today hopefully. The price is low with the 18-55 so that may steer my decision. The price is low enough to add a lens or possibly two. I will lose the weather sealing tho.

10-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter

I'm going to tack onto this thread as it's where I am at ATM. For those that wont have read my welcome message ( I just signed up today) here's a quick background. Used to shoot with Pentax MG & ME Super, would not class myself as anything remarkable in camera skills but got my grounding in MF cameras. Still have all my MF lenses and a reasonably good range of them.
So,I'm currently saving up (and hoping from Christmas sales) to get my new Pentax DSLR. It definately wont be the Kx, it will be between the Kr and the K-5. I expect it to be the first and last DSLR I'll purchase.
If I go for the Kr I can get a very capable camera with at least one modern AF lens to get me started OR I can get a K-5 but only if I just buy the body which means I'll be in at the deep end of learning to use the new camera as well as using it with manual lenses.
Reading all the reviews I could I know the K-5 is ultimately the better of the two with better self cleaning system for the sensor as well as weather sealing. It's also (I assume) more complicated to set up but will provide me with features to work up my skill level (hopefully to match).

The Kr will get me going quicker and with less monetory outlay but may (or may not) limit me in the future.

So my dilemma? Very interested to hear opinions.

Mike
10-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Even though I am not a novice in photography, been doing it since 1973 and use MF and LF film cameras and have used Nikon D1X, D2X and D200 I choose the K-r over the K5 simply as it met my needs. No it is not as good as the K5 and one has to ignore most of the functions as I shoot it in manual mode the most but for the most part I do not regret my decision. And 3 to 4 years from now the money I saved would pay for much for the purchase of the camera that replaces the K5 replacment hence it should be a better camera yet. It looks like both are excellent values it might depend on how long you think you will keep a model and how much you want to pay. After lugging the D200 around for a three years I am happy with the weight savings as well, No wrong decision to be made
10-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Well barring death, illness or winning big money I'll still be working full time for another12yrs or so, so wont have 7 days a week free to devote to any hobby. You could say then that the K-5 would serve me well as I'll never use it enough to wear it out OR one could also say that for the amount of work I'll give a camera a less fancy one would meet my needs.
I don't tend to turn over cameras often . My MG was purchased new and all the ME's were 2nd hand when I got around to upgrading. My Panasonic Lumix is 6yrs old. So you could also say whatever I get now will be with me a long time so maybe good to get the best I can afford now.
As I mentioned in my previous post I got my grounding in manual cameras but that was a long time ago and whilst I try to use the Panasonic in full manual mode it's not the same as a true DSLR. I'm not worried about not being able to go out and get good photos from day one with a new camera, happy to take my time and learn it but do worry a little if a K-5 + manual lenses might be a bit too steep a learning curve?.

I've handled both in the shops and I like the K-5 better but it's not the same as living with one.
10-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #23

For me, K-x is the best

10-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Go for the K5. It's a camera that will take a LONG time to outgrow. I have both Kx and K5. Both are great cameras, but the K5 is a dream to shoot. I thought the Kx low light capabilities were great until I got my K5. You will not regret getting it

Dennis
10-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #25
Pentaxian

IQ is about the same, but the K-5 is easliy worth the extra (for me) for the quiet shutter, TAv mode, delay+bracket mode and AF fine adjust per lens.
10-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Thanks for feedback. I've just been reading the K-5 review that Adam put up. The initial set up info makes it seem a little less daunting.
I'm tending towards a K-5 as I think it will be better in the long run it's only the fact I could a get a Kr and a modern lens to go with it that's giving me cause for pause. However with Christmas coming up there may be some good deals on offer so I'll keep watching.
Keep the comments coming, it's all very much appreciated. I wont have spent this sort of money on a camera before so want to make the right choice.