Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

Help me with my S-M-C TAK 50mm 1.4 issue

Hi guys! I bought recently a Super Multi Coated Takumar 50mm 1.4 and I cannot focus properly and change the diaphragm it's stacked. I tried with two differents mount adapter to my Canon EOS 60D (both of them were from China).

Does someone could figure it out which it's the best adapter for the TAK 50mm? I want to buy the right one.

Please, help me.

Thanks a lot!!!

05-26-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alanpierrotcine Quote
I tried with two differents mount adapter to my Canon EOS 60D (both of them were from China).

Does someone could figure it out which it's the best adapter for the TAK 50mm? I want to buy the right one.

I don't understand why people will spend thousands of dollars on lenses & cameras, then they to save a few bucks (literally) by purchasing a cheap Chinese knockoff adapter. Many have problems with these adapters. In your case, you've probably already exceeded the price of the genuine article by purchasing two! Bite the bullet & buy the real thing from the Pentax site, only $30.
05-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I didn't know Pentax did an adapter to fit a Canon EOS 60D

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Bite the bullet & buy the real thing from the Pentax site, only $30.
05-26-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
I didn't know Pentax did an adapter to fit a Canon EOS 60D

Kim
My mistake..... that's what you get for posting when you're not yet quite awake..... I was, of course, referring to the Pentax to Pentax adapter. Consequently, in this prevailing case, my advice would be the obvious..... sell your Canon & buy a Pentax!

05-26-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
on SMC Tak's there is a tiny pin that needs to be pressed to release the manual auto switch, that usually gets depressed when the lens is screwed onto the adaptor (or some times the lens cap.

that should let you put the lens into manual aperture mode.

on the camera you should then be able to change the aperture using the aperture ting.

Focusing , I don't understand, can you turn the focusing collar? does the barrel of the lens move in and out. If so, you should be able to reach focus on the camera.

have you checked your eyepeice diopter setting to make sure that it is correctly set for your eye sight? you should be able to see what ever marks are on the focusing screen clearly
05-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Seconded!

Kim
Consequently, in this prevailing case, my advice would be the obvious..... sell your Canon & buy a Pentax!
05-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
I think it's because the focus barrel it's longer than the mount adapter. When it's in INFINITY the barrel slides over the adapter, I need a new one. But I don't know which brand to buy.
05-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

If I'm understanding your post properly, you have a different problem. The Taks should not have focus rings turning past the adapter. In fact, I don't even see how it could with the Aperture ring and the A/M switch in the way.. On a Pentax camera, the rear of the lens mounts flush to the lens mount.

05-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
Someone is using this adapter for this lens?

Fotodiox Black M42 Lens to Canon EOS Mount Adapter - eBay (item 350245655977 end time Jun-19-11 08:03:05 PDT)
05-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

please review and answer my previous questions. Note all adjustments are made through the lens not the camera. so if the focus collar moves and the aperture ring moves and changes the aperture with the lens on it';s own it will work.

also consider that not all cannon cameras will take a picture without focus confirmation, there are M42 adaptors that permit this
M42 - Canon EOS Lens adapter | AF Lens Adapters | peleng8.com - Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fisheye Lens for Canon, Nikon, Olympus
05-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

From a 3rd party adapter standpoint I understand the Fotodiox are about as good as they get (I use original Pentax because I shoot on Pentax)
05-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter

My mistake..... that's what you get for posting when you're not yet quite awake..... I was, of course, referring to the Pentax to Pentax adapter. Consequently, in this prevailing case, my advice would be the obvious..... sell your Canon & buy a Pentax!

'I've got me a pentax adapter. Can someone tell me what camera would be best with this adapter?'
05-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
please review and answer my previous questions. Note all adjustments are made through the lens not the camera. so if the focus collar moves and the aperture ring moves and changes the aperture with the lens on it';s own it will work.

also consider that not all cannon cameras will take a picture without focus confirmation, there are M42 adaptors that permit this
M42 - Canon EOS Lens adapter | AF Lens Adapters | peleng8.com - Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fisheye Lens for Canon, Nikon, Olympus
When I put the adapter to the lens, I can't move the focus collar from 1.2mt to Infinity and also the aperture ring it's like stack. Why my friends?
05-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Alan, welcome to the forums!

I don't understand, what is meaning of "it's stacked"?

With lens not mounted on camera, and lens Auto/Man switch in Man position, the focus ring and aperture ring should turn fully. Turning aperture ring should operate diaphragm.

If can not switch Auto/Man to Man position, first depress the tiny pin on the lens rear.
05-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
Hi Alan, welcome to the forums!

I don't understand, what is meaning of "it's stacked"?

With lens not mounted on camera, and lens Auto/Man switch in Man position, the focus ring and aperture ring should turn fully. Turning aperture ring should operate diaphragm.

If can not switch Auto/Man to Man position, first depress the tiny pin on the lens rear.
I have the same issue that this guy

Flickr: Discussing Tricky Super Multicoated Takumar 50mm f1.4 to EOS in M42 Lenses and DSLR's

Please read the first part. Thanks my friend