Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens comparison tool/site?

Hi.
I wonder if there is some kind of comparison (web)tool/site for lenses? something like this one (DPreview comparison tool for cameras) Pentax K-r Review: 8. Compared to (JPEG): Digital Photography Review
Thanks.

05-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We don't have one (yet?), but I think that you can't really place lenses side-by-side like you can cameras.

That's why we're expanding the reviews section instead: Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-26-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
but I think that you can't really place lenses side-by-side like you can cameras.
why not? the procedure is the same like they do it on DPreview, but you change lenses instead of camera. I think it should be done with some "medium range" camera (not the best one). Just to have an idea of the differences between lenses. Looking at different samples from different lenses can't really show you which one is better (I'm not talking about comparing top end lenses and cheap ones).
05-26-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter

User ratings and experience in the lens database here can allow you to make your own comparison based on real-world experience - provided the lenses are in the database.

05-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MK-x Quote
why not? the procedure is the same like they do it on DPreview, but you change lenses instead of camera. I think it should be done with some "medium range" camera (not the best one). Just to have an idea of the differences between lenses. Looking at different samples from different lenses can't really show you which one is better (I'm not talking about comparing top end lenses and cheap ones).
if you want side by side comparisons of lenses, then aside from specifications, which you can put side by side, sample shots would all need to be of one fixed subject. that is not possible easily on a user based forum
05-26-2011, 05:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

why not? the procedure is the same like they do it on DPreview, but you change lenses instead of camera.
Are you volunteering to setup and run the test facility? Which lenses will you test?
05-26-2011, 05:15 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We can definitely set up some sort of "lens gallery" (it's been suggested before), but in order for the results to be conclusive (and casual snapshots are not), the tests have to be highly controlled, which pretty much means they can be staff-submitted only.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-26-2011, 05:32 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I didn't mean that this site/forum should make a tool like this, I just asked whether there is already one.
The guy in DPreview are doing it with cameras, so it's not like similar things have never been done before...
05-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
While it doesn't have the same "side-by-side" comparison, I find the reviews at Pentax K / Samsung NX Lens Tests to be quite informative.
05-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

why not? the procedure is the same like they do it on DPreview, but you change lenses instead of camera.
Unless the lenses happen to cover the same focal length and have similar apertures, then this doesn't really make sense - nothing that matters would be the same after changing lenses.
05-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

DXO already do a direct side-by-side lens test site, of sorts, but not too many Pentax lenses get tested.

Their site also illustrates the complexities involved in setting this sort of test up, given the relationship between different bodies and lenses, and resolution results etc:

DxOMark - Welcome to DxOMark

Of course there is also a plethora of other decent lens test sites that provide plenty of information about lens performance and characteristics - eg:

Lenses reviews - Lenstip.com

Camera lens tests, user reviews, camera accessory reviews - SLRgear.com!

or even Lens Reviews: Digital Photography Review