Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #1

Lenses for K-5

I am a recent convert from Nikon and really love my K-5. It is well built, has great usability, and is feature packed. The image quality seems very good, but I'm sure I will need some really good glass to bring out the best fromt the sensor.

I am looking to equip my K-5 with a few good lenses and need the advice of experienced Pentax shooters.

I currently have the Sigma 18-250 lens, and although it is OK, there are a couple of issues I have with it:

1. Soft at 18mm
2. Lens type not recorded in EXIF data
3. Cannot manually focus while in AF (like with my 18-200 Nikkor lens)
4. The lens is very bulky, and includes OS which is redundant with the K-5 shake reduction in the body.
5. Although the autofocus motor is quick and quiet, it is sometimes inaccurate, especially at 18-35mm. This is double troubling since you cannot override the autofocus.
6. The Zoom ring turns opposite of any other lens I have ever used.

I tried the Tamron 18-200 and found it much less acceptable than the Sigma, especially in terms of usability. The lens creep was totally unacceptable and the lens feels very cheap on the quality K-5 body.

What would the experts recommend for lenses to go with the K-5. I am specifically looking for:

1. Good walk around zoom for when it is not convenient to change lenses and I need reasonable reach.

2. A sharp prime lense for portraits and general photography.
3. Wide angle.

I have read many lens reviews and since a lot is personal preference, I realize how difficult this can be. However, any help and/or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

05-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

1. Tamron 28-75
2. FA43 or FA77
3. DA15

Good luck
05-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
1. Tamron 28-75
2. FA43 or FA77
3. DA15

Good luck
Great suggestions.

1. I would also highly recommend the 28-75 as well. If you want something a little wider and longer, the 18-135WRis another option. It doesn't have the speed nor are the optics quite as good, but it's a very nice lens for general use.

2. Can't go wrong with the 43 or 77. If you want to spend a little less, the FA50/1.4 or the F50/1.7 (used) make good alternatives.

3. The 15 is another great option. If you prefer something a little wider both the Pentax 12-24 and Sigma 10-20 are both well regarded.
05-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 to both suggestions. I don't think you could go wrong with either setup.

I would also look at the Pentax 17-70 as an alternative walk around.

05-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eliglass Quote
1. Good walk around zoom for when it is not convenient to change lenses and I need reasonable reach.
DA 18-135 or the aforementioned Tamron 28-75

2. A sharp prime lense for portraits and general photography.
Lots of choices here, including, toward the high end of the spectrum, the DA* 55, the DA 70 and the FA 77.

3. Wide angle.
The DA 12-24 would make a nice companion zoom to the aforementioned Tamron. But you couldn't go wrong with either the DA 15 or DA 21 as well.
05-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #6

Walk-around lens

Hi all,

Read your lens suggestions with interest and have a question - I was under the impression that the best 'walk-around' lens for the Pentax K-5 would be the Pentax DA 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL IF SDM and the next one would be the Pentax DA 16-45mm f/4.0

What do you think of these lenses? No one seems to have mentioned these.
Also read that Pentax is having issues with SDM. Are these still ongoing or resolved?

I will be buying a Pentax K5 as soon as I can get my hands on one, and I will also need to buy decent lenses for it, preferably Pentax, the usual 1) Walk-around, 2) Portraits and 3) Wide angle zoom

Should I stay away from the kit lens, the 18-35mm f3.5-5.6? There is also the 18-35mm f3.5-5.6 AL II which is different.

Any advice pertaining to these lenses from people who have used them would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
05-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

First welcome to the Pentax Forum.

DA18-250mm
For me a walk-around (or all around lens) is one that stays all the time on the camera. My recommendation is the Pentax DA18-250mm.

Like the Sigma, the DA18-250mm does not have quickshift. It is lighter than the Sigma, and has an outstanding record as a very solid lens. Manufactured by Tamron (and sold also as Tamron 18-250mm), there are a number of good quality used ones on the market (keh, adorama, PF marketplace) between 350-450 US$.

The lens IQ is well regarded among the all-around lenses across all brands.

2. A sharp prime lense for portraits and general photography..
Pentax FA31mm f1.8 Ltd. This prime is legendary and great, great lens. The focal length is an excellent compromise between wide and close-up. The lens is fast. This is the most polyvalent and useful prime that I have, and it is highly regarded by all Pentaxians.

Hope that the above comments will help.

05-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #8

Just got the 28-75 myself ... !! Go get one.
05-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #9

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll definitely have to re-do my lens wish list it seems.