Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spanner tool

to remove the ring around lenses or filters? Does anyone have one and if so where'd ya get it in the USA please only.

05-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Not the cheapest store around (there are some very good suppliers in Japan) but it is in the USA as you asked.

Micro-Tools

If you are talking about the "name" ring on many lens, you can usually make your own from a rubber bung from the hardware store.

Kim
05-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks I should have mentioned I found that one but too expensive for me. Guess I could check with fleabay. Yes, as for the product being in the USA, shipping costs would eat me up there.
05-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #4

I have used these guys and I'm in the UK. Their shipping costs are very reasonable and delivery is usually within a couple of days. I think you can find them on fleabay as well.

ƒJƒƒ‰C—H‹‚ŽžŒvH‹A؍H‹“™‚“ŽH‹‚’”ƒTƒCƒgbƒWƒƒƒpƒ“ƒzƒr[ƒc[ƒ‹

Heavystar are not bad.

http://stores.ebay.com/Heavy2stars-Photo-Gear/Tools-/_i.html?_fsub=9&_sid=15...=p4634.c0.m322

Kim

Last edited by Kim C; 05-26-2011 at 06:29 AM.
05-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The first link comes up in Japanese and I can't read it. The second one, sounds promising, I'll try one from them as soon as I get some extra cash. I just bought a new lenses that has some junk under the hood. And I have a few filters I don't use and sould like to use them for something else but need to remove the glass.

Thanks Kim.
05-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #6

You're welcome.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Thanks Kim.
05-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
And I have a few filters I don't use and sould like to use them for something else but need to remove the glass.
You can always carefully break the glass in the filter ring. I've done this in the past by wrapping an old filter in several sheets of paper towel and driving a metal object through the glass carefully with some hammer taps. You can use pliers to pull off any shards that remain along the edges.
05-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I use an old dial caliper. Reshaped the tongs on it to fit the slots in most rings. It locks in place at my desired width. As long as I'm careful not to slip, it works great. If that fails, I have those rubber cork things that micro-tools sells. Lens tools on ebay are just as expensive as them, last time I looked.

05-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Build your own lens spanner wrench::Manual Focus Lenses

Make the perfect Lens wrench for Free::Manual Focus Lenses
05-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
You can always carefully break the glass in the filter ring.
Yeah, I could do that for the filters, but I really want one for a lens I'm buying that has some condensation inside.

Jeff, that looks promising but at the moment they are out of stock. As for the calipers, that might be a solution too and they sell those at most any hardware store.

rhodopsin, your second link looks promising also. I have plenty of computer blanks around here, removed from old computers that I salvage parts from.

Thanks to all of you for the optional suggestions.
05-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #11

Another solution is to modify a pair of round nose pliers. It works very well but you do need to be very careful because it is easy to slip.

http://pentax-manuals.com/spare/pliers1.jpg

Kim
05-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I removed the glass from an old, unneeded 72mm filter. The glass was held in place by a very thin, and rather fragile, retaining ring. There were two notches cut n the ring, 180 degrees apart.

I found that it was not necessary to use a spanner to engage both notches simultaneously. I simply used a small jeweler's screwdriver to push on one side. The ring turned very easily.

On lenses, the front retaining ring often has no notches or spanner holes at all. There is a trick I have heard of, but never personally used. Find a short piece of PVC pipe that is approximately the size of the internal diameter of the filter thread on the lens. Then, use a thin sheet of rubber, such as that used in the kitchen to grip recalcitrant jar lids. Put the rubber between the retaining ring and the pipe. Push down, hard, on the pipe while turning counterclockwise. The rubber grips the retaining ring and the pipe applies even pressure all around.

YMMV
05-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
Another solution is to modify a pair of round nose pliers. It works very well but you do need to be very careful because it is easy to slip.
I had the perfect pair of pliers but gave them away because I didn't think I'd need them. They looked like needle nose pliers but on the tip about an inch back they were curved down, but come to think of it, I don't believe they would have worked because the opening wouldn't have been wide enough.

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I removed the glass from an old, unneeded 72mm filter. The glass was held in place by a very thin, and rather fragile, retaining ring. There were two notches cut n the ring, 180 degrees apart.
I found that it was not necessary to use a spanner to engage both notches simultaneously. I simply used a small jeweler's screwdriver to push on one side. The ring turned very easily.
Yep, I tried that, and the ring was too tight.

QuoteQuote:
On lenses, the front retaining ring often has no notches or spanner holes at all. There is a trick I have heard of, but never personally used. Find a short piece of PVC pipe that is approximately the size of the internal diameter of the filter thread on the lens. Then, use a thin sheet of rubber, such as that used in the kitchen to grip recalcitrant jar lids. Put the rubber between the retaining ring and the pipe. Push down, hard, on the pipe while turning counterclockwise. The rubber grips the retaining ring and the pipe applies even pressure all around.
I believe we have one of those rubber things in the kitchen drawer. And I know the "boys" probably have a length of pvc laying around..they usually do.
05-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The nice thing about converted calipers is the arms are short. The commercial versions have long arms, then two cross bars to keep them from twisting, so lots of weight and bulk that your hand has to control, well away from the contact points. OK, they might fit everything but when the calipers fit, they are way easier to control.
05-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

use a cable tie , grip lock whatever it is called in your part of the world.
the plastic thingy that electricians use to hold a bunch of wires together
if you cut out the little plastic lock it can be reused and small light , unbreakable in a camera bag.