Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Flash

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Iíve been researching flash as Iím in the market for one. What Iíve learned down the road is to get the most powerful flash my budget can afford. So far, with regards to Features (i.e. P-TTL, Auto and Manual Modes, etc.), Power and Usability the Metz 58 is coming out on top followed by Pentax 540FGZ. Although few reviewers commented about the P-540ís flimsy battery door and a locking pin that may potentially cause the flash to get stuck on the body. I havenít come across anyone regretting the M-58. One thing about these two is their price point hovering around $400. I don't know about you but this is a little outside of my budget. Metz 48 and 50 also gets good user reviews and are in the low $200 range. What I am leaning towards on is Sigmaís EF-610 DG Super.
Thanks for the flash pointers too. I reckon I wouldn't be able to stretch my budget at the moment for something I wouldn't know my requirements for. So will keep these models in mind for when I decide I need one.

08-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by teamplayer Quote
Thanks again for the very helpful responses. So it sounds like the Tamron 17-50/2.8 or kit lens would be best as starters. One of my concerns, I hasten to add, is that my budget has been created through a redundancy, and so I am all too aware that I wouldn't actually be able to do buy this without those circumstances. So part of me is trying to take advantage of that fact by trying to get hold of the best available kit for the budget I've allocated myself, as I don't anticipate being able to upgrade for a long time after this. I'd read about people getting rid of the kit lens quickly to get something better, which is where my reservations came from. However, I acknowledge these people are likely to be pros or experienced amateurs, neither of which category I would put myself in, so I will definitely reappraise.

One thing about the Tamron is I assume it wouldn't be weather-proofed? I do actually travel with my camera, often to SE Asia (though nothing on the cards immediately): things like moisture and rainy seasons are an issue, and the need to try to minimise any potential damage therein did play a part in steering me towards Pentax initially. So are there any other lens options in the 18-55 range that are weather-proofed?
The Kit lens is not bad at all, not a top performer but handy to get started and get a feel for what focal lengths you will shoot at. it has the added benefit of being WR which from the time i lived in London i would think would have some use
the savings you might put towards some old manual focus primes. you can find them for a song at boot sales and the markets (I picked up an SMC M 50 f1.7 for 10 pounds in portobello last year and the dealer had a fair bit of compatible product) the iq on some of the old lenses is really quite good and better in many cases than any low cost zoom. If you want to keep it simple (at a cost) the A series give you all the Main camera features except AF. older than that and they are pretty much full manual

EDIT: Flash will definitely be something to consider but from what I see the high ISO on the K5 is so good you can get away without it in many cases