Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I know how you feel but from a different reason. as a man I have to worry about who is in the photo instead of what is in the photo. parents get worried at my daughters volleyball tourneys that I am taking a photo of their girls.
you are lucky to be a female as my wife can take all the shots she wants and no one worries.
I find if someone gets worried about what you are shooting, just show them your digital preview on the back of your camera and let them be the judge... If they really take offense, then delete it or just move on to a new spot.

as I was looking at your photos I noticed this one... looks exactly like our cat from the side!

This is a front shot of ours, do they look the same from the front?

cheers
slip,
I can't see the photo of my cat that you posted for some reason, but based on your cat's photo, I assume you are talking about Spike. Yes, Spike looks a lot like your cat from the front. He has more white on his face, though. Here's a pic of Spike where you can see his face a little better. Same brownish/orange-ish nose!

glee46, that is crazy! No way that should've been any problem. I love your photo of the cigarette butts under the warning sign!

JeffJS, I tend to feel the same way. I really don't do a lot of photos where there are lots of folks around. When I do, it depends on the situation. If it's a touristy area, I've never really felt self-conscious. But if it's at work or some place where people typically aren't taking many photos, then it becomes an issue for me.

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging and interesting observations so far!

05-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Perverts take the pic with hidden, & sm cameras

These days, the perverts can be standing there talking on their phone and be taking pictures of kids. There are spy camera's that can be purchased for nothing. If you're a man, with a big camera and you take a picture in the general direction of anywhere there is kids, you're a pervert.

I'm new to this, so I've only asked a few people if I could take their picture. The 1st was a guy, on the street, and he say no. I could have taken it anyway, but I didn't. I just said, "No problem at all" and walked on.

However, I'm out at the park where I live, and this woman took about 10 pictures of me and never said why.

I really didn't like it, but I wasn't going to make a fit about it.

Personally, I don't like being around kids. Ya, I'm getting old. Too much noise, & unless their doing something really spectacular, like bending steel bars, then there's not much difference in one kid running around the bases from the next. Of course, unless it's your kid. Then take all you want. However, where do you draw the line.

You go to your kids game. You take pictures. You have to turn your SD card over and have it reviewed to make sure only your kid is on there? It's stupid.
05-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
slip,

glee46, that is crazy! No way that should've been any problem. I love your photo of the cigarette butts under the warning sign!
That was at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Fresno, CA. on February 3, of this year.

Because I've been going to the VA since 1972, they have all my medical records. I later went to complain to the Patient Advocate. They had already entered it into the system and it's now a part of my permanent record on file & nothing I can do about it.

However, at the VA in San Francisco, I take pictures there all the time and they have never said a word. I'm talking of the Bay, the buildings, fire hydrants on the VA hospital property.
05-27-2011, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

To Glee46 and PeteyJ, while I won't tell anyone how to run their lives (and were I visiting your country I would do exactly as told by police), but, were I on my own turf, and was sure of my rights as a citizen, I would defy the police in that sort of situation.
If we give up our rights like sheep, then we will continue to lose our freedoms.

05-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
To Glee46 and PeteyJ, while I won't tell anyone how to run their lives (and were I visiting your country I would do exactly as told by police), but, were I on my own turf, and was sure of my rights as a citizen, I would defy the police in that sort of situation.
If we give up our rights like sheep, then we will continue to lose our freedoms.
In glees case its asinine homeland security stuff (va being military)
They pulled crap like that last year at g20 thanks to il duce harper
05-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This thread started out with trying to help someone get used to taking photos in public, now it's made me feel all depressed!!
05-27-2011, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
This thread started out with trying to help someone get used to taking photos in public, now it's made me feel all depressed!!
Knowledge is power and knowing that others have been through the same makes me feel better. At the same time, it gives me a little bit more courage to not let anyone take my right to do something I know there is no wrong in doing.

05-27-2011, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, I'm old....

To the OP: I can tell you that I understand your feelings. I started shooting almost 40 years ago and still remember how awkward I felt the first few years. After about 2 years, it started to be less uncomfortable and eventually only minimal. But I stopped shooting about twenty years ago, as my life changed direction. I've been trying to start again, and it feels-if anything-more awkward than ever.

And about the way people react: I distinctly remember a photographic magazine article from way back when stating words to the effect, "Americans are more likely to be upset about you photographing their cars than their children." Times have changed.
Attached Images

05-27-2011, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

I can relate to what was said in the OP. It amazing though that within a couple of minutes and a few shots I've lost that concern, and when I get home with the photos I'm ALWAYS glad I took them. There's been too many times I've got home with no photos because I was too self conscious to take photos, and I ALWAYS regret not taking photos.

So it's simple, if you want no regrets shoot away, and after a few minutes you'll be over your concern anyway.
05-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Well, it's my little theory that it's really the presence of cameras everywhere and anywhere that contributes to the idea they're being intruded on, and it's the big ones that get that focused on them. I suppose DSLR photographers just need to work on our own image there somehow. I remember when showing a camera usually meant your biggest issue was people mgging for it, carrying on, but usually being *enthusiastic* about being photographed, (Not always the shots you *wanted,* but that was a nice thing about winders: people'd assume that the shot of them goofing around was the shot, and they'd tend to relax and you'd get the shot you wanted with the followup. )

Anyway, social commentary in any times aside, it really helps for you to be comfortable with what you're doing, yourself, as well as photographing people in general: starting with friends and family doesn't hurt, and moving on to casual and friendly circumstances, crowds you're familiar with/friendly to: there's a lot of folks who simply have a bit of stage fright or shyness about it, but people will really usually take their cue from you, if you seem like you're appropriately positive and confident about what you're doing, a lot of folks will tend to more or less follow that lead.

(I certainly find I have a much harder time projecting the necessary confidence when I'm not feeling well, myself, for instance: the discomfort sometimes shows a lot. Speaking of which, perhaps a bit more tomorrow. Being in this chair isn't really where I'm wanting to be right now. But I thought I'd post this. )
05-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Does anyone else have to fight this feeling?
How do you get past it?
Or am I just weird?
Yes.
I never have.
From the viewpoint of who?
05-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #42
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With time and practice, a lot of the inhibitions start being replaced by your confidence to get the shot you want.
With inanimate objects, it'll be easier.
With people, you'll learn stealth shooting for natural-looking subjects and the art of getting permission from willing models to get the portraits and street shots you're after.

Last edited by Ash; 05-28-2011 at 05:11 AM.
05-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In a way I am fortunate, as I am a lone very large white man in a sea of (comparatively) small Japanese people. I stand out like a sore thumb no matter what I do, whether I want to or not. That being the case, I figure I may as well go ahead and take pictures if I feel like it. It isn't as though it makes me more conspicuous.
05-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
In a way I am fortunate, as I am a lone very large white man in a sea of (comparatively) small Japanese people. I stand out like a sore thumb no matter what I do, whether I want to or not. That being the case, I figure I may as well go ahead and take pictures if I feel like it. It isn't as though it makes me more conspicuous.
Even though I'm not in Japan I'm close to tourist locations where I would be exactly the same. I'd just need to wait for a Coach to turn up. lol
05-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are all great, I really do appreciate the encouragement and positivity!