Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I enjoy your photos, Zafar! And thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully, the experience has made you more confident shooting in public, even though you did have some odd encounters.

06-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks loco. I had few scarier moments before but mostly because they were unexpected. but overall the past few days have boosted my confidence, but not so much that i can go out and take pictures or anyone. there is room for (many) improvements.
06-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #93
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
when I got my Kx a couple of years ago, I was the same way, but I did my best to keep taking shots. I do try to be aware of the area, and people, It does take time to feel OK about it.
06-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #94
Veteran Member

We had Copenhagen Carnival the other day and I was out to take pics of the event. There were lots and lots of people on the streets but I felt more self-conscious than previously at the Copenhagen Distortion events. It wasn't because the confidence I gained earlier had faded, but because the crowd was different in that they were spectators. I prefer to be close when taking pictures and this meant I'd had to somewhat be in the spotlight. I don't like being in the spotlight It didn't take too long for me to crab my camera, but it did take long for me to get close and comfortable - probably an hour or so. During that time I felt very insecure. There was a great number of professional photographers as well, and this also affected my confidence.

I tried to settle in and noticed a lot awkward stuff that only boosted my confidence. People using flashlight in direct and harsh sunlight. Some of the pro's not holding their cams correctly or having some odd poses when taking pictures. I noticed one carnival official (or whatever it's called) photographer. He looked very pro with his huge cam and whatnot, but he had this very awkward smile after many of his shots - the kind that says "I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing but I can see I didn't get the shot". All in all observing all that helped me a lot and soon after I was in the zone (relatively speaking). I was able to fire away, but not walk up to some of the people from the parade to do closeups like that. Instead it worked better to stay in front of the other spectators and let the parade pass me, to get my closeups I was very close this way. I just didn't like the idea of singling myself out too much (spotlight thingy - need to work on that).

I've uploaded the pictures on Facebook. You should be able to see them there.

Copenhagen Carnival 2011

I have also the Copenhagen Distortion pictures added on Facebook, in case anyone is interested:

Day One, Day Two, Day Three, Day four

The day could have gone better but I'm satisfied. I still need to remember to check my settings more often, although I did do it more frequently this time. I do wish though that I had more wide-angle shots. But it was difficult with the amount of people, blocking the view.

06-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
...I tried to settle in and noticed a lot awkward stuff that only boosted my confidence. People using flashlight in direct and harsh sunlight...
The flash can help fill in shadows. For example, a lot of those people were wearing hats, putting the faces in shadow. If you can add just the right amount of flash, the face looks better. I've only tried it a few times and never gotten it to work that well, but that would be one reason for flash.

Or they don't know how to turn it off.
06-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #96

I've made others ill at ease when I'm out shooting.

"Do those plates actually belong on that car?"
"That looks like my duck"
"Is this the dog that bit that guy last week?"

and
"what are you doing?"
06-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The flash can help fill in shadows.
Yes, I used my Metz with great results just 2 weeks ago. I regret not bringing it along for the carnival. Could have benefitted from it when buildings were casting large areas of shadows, to "pop" out my subjects.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Or they don't know how to turn it off.

06-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #98
Veteran Member

I quite often use my YN660 (with the bounce card up) as a 'fill' in bright sunlight... Works quite well...
06-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I've uploaded the pictures on Facebook. You should be able to see them there. Copenhagen Carnival 2011
Some really good shots in there... Looks like a fun day!
06-13-2011, 07:56 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Some really good shots in there... Looks like a fun day!
Thanks. It was a great day but sadly my shoulder got soar very quick. Partially because my shoulder was still affected from the previous events and partially because I brought 5 lenses along with me. I used 3 of them. The remainder 2 were manual focus lenses that I wanted to use to get some good practice. I've so far been using them for still objects and that's hardly any challenge compared to moving subjects but I forgot all about it while I was out.
12-31-2011, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #101
Veteran Member

I hate to necro-post like this, but today I happened across the photoblog of a young woman in Tokyo who perfectly illustrates exactly the point I was trying to make in this post in this thread. She illustrates the point doubly well because she not only doesn't let what others may think of her taking her very unusual photos stop her, she is also the subject (and coincidentally has produced the only "self-portrait series" I have ever seen that was well-done and interesting enough to make me look at more than about two of the shots in them).

Her name is Natsumi Hayashi and her photoblog is at Yowayawa Camera Woman Diary. Sadly, she seems to have given up the blog, perhaps to having lost her cat, or at least that is how it seems.

On a side note and by sheer coincidence, today I went and bought a frame for the profile shot I included as an example in my earlier post and made a present of the shot to the temple where I took it. The print went through a couple of minor local photo exhibits and one year and one day after it was taken it now hangs in the residence of the temple's priest. If I had been concerned about what a jackass I looked like while taking it, I never would have come away with a picture worth either framing or giving to them as a gift.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 12-31-2011 at 07:23 PM.
12-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I hate to necro-post like this, but today I happened across the photoblog of a young woman in Tokyo who perfectly illustrates exactly the point I was trying to make in this post in this thread.
I'm sorry, what does Cheeta have to do with this?
12-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm getting over the self-consciousness. The epiphany came when some asked me why I photographed them--before I could think, I said "I'm a photographer: it's what I do."
12-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL, it's great to see the old thread resurrected. That's too bad Natsumi gave up her blog. And sad about her kitty.

I have lost a lot of my inhibition over the past months. Street photography isn't really my thing, and I have yet to try it. That might present a challenge for me. But I have been out to both rural, out of the way spots as well as tourist attractions, and to my surprise, I really didn't pay much attention to other people. Unless they were in my way!
12-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'm sorry, what does Cheeta have to do with this?
Oh, crap. That's what I get for doing copy-n-paste with lots of tabs open in the wee hours of the night with a suspiciously increasingly lighter open bottle of scotch next to me.

The link was supposed to be to a post I made on page 5 of this thread.