Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Download this pdf: Bert P. Krages Attorney at Law Photographer's Rights Page and study it. Then, print it out and put it in your bag. If someone confronts you in a non-hostile manner, show it to them. If someone confronts you in a hostile manner, pull a gun and shoot them, um, I mean whip out your cellphone and dial 911.

05-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Almost went to jail twice

I'll make this short & post the pictures I took later today. While waiting for my appointment, on a sidewalk outside of a Veterans Administration Hospital in Fresno, CA I took 3 different pictures of a fire hydrant, a balloon laying in the curb and some cigarette butts. Veterans Administration Police unit pulls up & informs me me I can't shoot pictures of anything near the hospital. I'm not even on VA property, and they took me in, held me for over an hour, had the chief of VA police come and tell me the same thing, & said I'm lucky they didn't take my camera.
When I get back later today, I'll post the pics and the other story which is even worst.
05-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Download this pdf: Bert P. Krages Attorney at Law Photographer's Rights Page and study it. Then, print it out and put it in your bag. If someone confronts you in a non-hostile manner, show it to them. If someone confronts you in a hostile manner, pull a gun and shoot them, um, I mean whip out your cellphone and dial 911.
Excellent link. There are also links there to Australian and UK equivalents. The Australian (NSW one anyway) gives further links to France and some other countries.
05-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Funny how it's exactly the other way round with me.

When I crawl behind my camera, I feel free to go everywhere and anywhere. It gives me a excuse to be there. Maybe it helps if you think more of it that way? I even find myself taking pictures of random people, giving them a smile first always helps. Or even entering abondoned buildings, which I would normally never do.

But I do know how you feel though. I would never take pictures of someone elses kid. What's worse, I feel very insulted by some weird looks I get from random grannies when I'm taking a picture of my very own daughter! Because male + dslr + child = molester. That's today's logic. The bad ones always ruin it for the good ones, don't they?

05-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Why care about how other people feel as long as what you are doing is legal?
If you are on public property, you can pretty much photograph whatever you can see.
If anyone gets in your face about it, they are in the wrong, and you have the right to defend yourself.
Pull a gun and shoot em.
you slay me Wheat
05-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The great thing that comes with age, who gives a stuff what others think, just go for it.
05-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

When I'mshooting street stuff I just shoot a lot and blend in, if someone notices I smile at them, if they object i show them the shot and delete it if they ask, not worth a hassle, that being said i find street type photography fare easier with a rangefinder (or if I had a digital point shoot like a g12 maybe) the thing is SLR's are big and noisy and attract attention. some people get comfortable shooting street stuff initially using a longer lens, though i've done this and gotten some good portrait type shots, it detaches me toomuch, I'm even finding my 50 to long on the k7 (it's pretty good on film) on my Rangefinder my preference is a 35 2.8 so ideally i guess i should look for a 24 2.0 for the slr (my DA 14 can be fun on the street but it get's a little too in peoples faces)

Easiest way to get comfortable as mentioned is shoot at some big outdoor events or touristy areas, like a farmers market fair, etc where there will be plenty of cameras and people will notice you less. it gets tough walking through areas where there are fewer people and even fewer cameras (a lot of my street stuff has fallen in this category)

05-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your responses are wonderful! I didn't think I'd find so many that understood how I feel.

Thanks for all the advice and I agree that with experience this will probably lessen. I just have to get out there and start the process. I'm off work next week, so if the weather's right, I may take the opportunity to start exorcising this feeling from my mind!

Really appreciate all your thoughts, thank you!
05-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #24

A TEXAS Attitude!

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Why care about how other people feel as long as what you are doing is legal?
If you are on public property, you can pretty much photograph whatever you can see.
If anyone gets in your face about it, they are in the wrong, and you have the right to defend yourself.
Pull a gun and shoot em.
Pretty much my sentiments as well .... ya' sound more like a TEXAN than a Canuk!
05-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I know how you feel but from a different reason. as a man I have to worry about who is in the photo instead of what is in the photo. parents get worried at my daughters volleyball tourneys that I am taking a photo of their girls.
you are lucky to be a female as my wife can take all the shots she wants and no one worries.
I find if someone gets worried about what you are shooting, just show them your digital preview on the back of your camera and let them be the judge... If they really take offense, then delete it or just move on to a new spot.

as I was looking at your photos I noticed this one... looks exactly like our cat from the side!

This is a front shot of ours, do they look the same from the front?

cheers
05-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Excellent thread. I've been shooting for about half a year and I'd love to do more people photography. Asking is one and, I suppose, the easier way (but still difficult enough), however I'm more interested in capturing moments. I find this to be very difficult though, even though I've witnessed lots of people just smile when they notice the lens aiming at them.

I also find it easier to shoot in areas where there are already lots of people. This somehow makes it more ok vs. places where there aren't as many people - but then again, such areas arent always interesting (tourists etc).

I've also learned that I just need to take the step and keep "walking" and it will/should become easier over time.
05-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
The problem lies with how suspicious people are today (perhaps with good cause, perhaps whipped up by the media). If you're a photographer with a DSLR you are probably:

1 - Terrorist
2 - If you accidentally photography a child you're automatically a (potential) child molester
That reminds me of this time I was at the beach about 2 years ago. This guy brought his DSLR started setting up, didn't even get the chance to take a single shot, and the Chicago police came and told him what he was doing was against the law and he had to leave. I'm fully aware that shooting in public is 100% legal, but ever since I witnessed that, I've been more wary of shooting where a ton of people will be.
05-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
That reminds me of this time I was at the beach about 2 years ago. This guy brought his DSLR started setting up, didn't even get the chance to take a single shot, and the Chicago police came and told him what he was doing was against the law and he had to leave. I'm fully aware that shooting in public is 100% legal, but ever since I witnessed that, I've been more wary of shooting where a ton of people will be.

that's nuts, but i'm not surprised cops frequently pull crap like that
it's even worse when you have a big political event like the g20, last year several photographers (including accredited media from major national newspapers) got beat up and tossed in jail during the protests
the hell with personal rights sometimes if it doesn't suit them seems to be the rule
05-27-2011, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Inactive Account

I don't do 'street' photos because I don't want pictures of the people. Most of the time I can't even stand that they are there let alone have any desire to make a record of it. However, I remember for myself, that if I'm worried about what people are thinking of me, chances are, they aren't. I don't worry about it. I'd bet the people in the Merril Lynch office thought I had lost my mind taking pictures of this guy...

Then again, maybe they didn't.

05-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

This can get ya thrown in Jail

Here are the 3 pictures that I took. I was not blocking the sidewalk, I wasn't taking pictures of anyone. I had just finished taking the last shot, when I looked up & saw the VA Police.

You can see across the street there are houses, which I was told if I lived there I couldn't stand on the lawn & take pictures. Serious.

The next two I wasn't even on the sidewalk next to the VA.

When the Chief of the VA police saw the picture of the sign and the butts, he said he wanted to see where I took them. So, we walked out there, I showed him, and he called down 3 officers who were smokers and made them clean it up. He told me, he's a non-smoker & it will teach them to do their job by stopping other VA employees from smoking near the VA. I was then allowed to go.