Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Every big city has a tourist spot, the 'Magnificent Mile' in Chicago is a good example. Every time I've gone there I've seen at least one person with a DSLR. I was there yesterday and saw a man with a Nikon and large zoom, and that was at 7:45 AM! The people in areas like that assume the shooter to be a tourist and pretty much ignore photographers because they are common. This type of location is where you go to shoot to gain confidence. The more the do it the easier it becomes.
I agree with Ratmagiclady that a smaller camera is less noticed. You could try a DA 40mm or a DA 21mm, both are small, and either would fit in a pocket while you shoot with the other. I think a DA 70mm would work as well, but I don't own one so that is a guess. I use a black camera strap that doesn't stick out like the bright red Pentax on the OEM strap, and I sometimes wrap the strap around my wrist and carry the camera by hand.

05-28-2011, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #47
Inactive Account

My mindset while shooting

I basically ignore people when I am out shooting, if they are looking at me I walk right past them. If they ask me if I photographed them I just say, "Why would I photograph you, are you famous?" then show them all the photos I've taken of screws, signs and weathering on the concrete.
OK, Seriously this is my mindset but I'm actually pretty polite in person and I'll freely show any photos I've taken for reassurance. No need to add to the stigma. One thing I find works a treat is get MORE visible like a fluorescent vest so it looks all official.
05-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
One thing I find works a treat is get MORE visible like a fluorescent vest so it looks all official.
Yeah, like a council officer taking a shot of your illegal building extensions or that car parked by the side of the road with the huge For Sale sign it shouldn't have on. lol
05-28-2011, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #49
Closed Account

When I started I got the same thing, and to an extent I still do, but some time shortly after starting I saw this video and it sort of changed my perspective.

I mean, I am not invasive at all (nor as good) as Bruce Gilden is but it put things on perspective, and this might be silly but whenever I am feeling self-conscious I sort of remember the video, chuckle and just continue what I was doing.

05-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting video.

I wonder if a lot of the people he photographs just assume he's some sort of weirdo who maybe even doesn't have 'film' in his camera and just likes to annoy people, therefore, they just ignore him.

It does take courage to do that sort of photography.
05-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can't be a bruce gilden in a small town. I suspect the anonymity and fast movement of the crowds allow him to be nothing more than a memory to his subject about 10 seconds after their encounter.
05-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #52
Veteran Member

In one eye and out the other to modify a metaphor!

Most of the people he photographs don't really seem to see him anyway like you said.

05-28-2011, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

great thread..certainly hits on what a lot of us feel when out and about...somehow makes the problem smaller knowing its shared by so many ...
05-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Most of the people he photographs don't really seem to see him anyway like you said.
Don't see him? He was up in most of their faces with a strobe! Perhaps they couldn't see anything after that

Most of the people in the video had a short reaction to his photography, a couple of people actually beat him to the shutter release; smiling or putting their hands up to block the camera! Most kept walking and were lost in the crowd. In the town I live in, if I did that they'd be able to turn around a block later and I'd still be visible through the swarming masses of 2-3 other people on the street at the time. Also: after a couple days of doing that the people who regularly walked would know to look out for me and I'd be ruined, no more candids to be sure!
05-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I mean that what he did didn't really register long term on them. Sure, they saw him, but he photographed them so quickly that an hour later they might think, 'was that someone who photographed me'?

They probably wouldn't recognize him later in any case. You're right on that one, especially after he hit them with that flash.

Last edited by mtansley; 05-28-2011 at 07:47 PM.
05-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #56
Inactive Account

I went out for a walk in my neighborhood this morning. I was thinking about reading this thread yesterday and I decided to take my camera with me. I took my DA55-300 along to do some bird photography. I stopped on the sidewalk at the end of my street and was trying to catch a shot of a black and orange bird I wasn't familiar with in one of my neighbor's yards. One of my neighbors who was also on a morning walk came up behind me and asked what I was doing. I pointed out the bird, which she readily identified as a Towhee. From there it started getting weird. I think she had the attitude that if I wasn't a bird expert that I must be using it as a cover for something suspicious. She walked off and I took a different street so she wouldn't bother the birds I was trying to shoot.

On my way back, I stopped at another yard on an intersection. A pair of cardinals were feeding, so I tried to approach slowly. Here she comes again. She walked past the intersection, and when I didn't come around, she turned around to see what I was doing. After a few moments, she turns down the street I'm on to confront me. The cardinals take off. Now I'm getting annoyed because she keeps ruining my shots. She comes up to me and starts interrogating. "Do you live in this neighborhood?" Yes, on your street. "Really, I've never seen you before." (I see her walking all the time - we've waved at each other). "What house?" "What's your name?" "Are you a photographer?"

I tried to be polite and relaxed, but it was obvious that the size of my camera and lens, and probably the way I was moving while closing in on birds was making her agitated and suspicious. I know she's seen me before in front of my house, but I think the presence of my camera erased her memory. I didn't offer to show her any shots, but tried to make it clear that I was just out enjoying a hobby. I also wasn't hiding my aggravation much and that probably made her more suspicious of me.

I don't think it will stop me from taking my camera or affect my lens choice on my neighborhood walks, but it aggravated me enough that I'm still thinking about it this evening. The irony is that the purpose of the big lens is to fill as much of the frame with birds as possible, not my neighbor's property. The less of that in the frame the better. But had I taken say, a DA15 and gone around taking shots of houses she'd probably have never noticed.
05-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Sure, they saw him, but he photographed them so quickly that an hour later they might think, 'was that someone who photographed me'?
I'm going to argue that that is because walking downtown in New York gives you an entirely different level of stimulus than taking a walk in the two blocks that constitute a "downtown" in Sitka Alaska. A photographer is a drop in the bucket of a walk in NY, whereas a photographer could be all you talk about that day in Sitka.

You ever lived in a small island town?
05-29-2011, 02:38 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I'm not arguing with you. I agree with you.

I have lived in small towns (not on islands though) and big cities and I can relate that there is a lot more going on in a walk in a big city than in a small town.

It's a technique that I wouldn't have the nerve to try and I admire people who can photograph like that.
05-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
clutch, that's too bad. If I had an experience like that, it would really make me feel hesitant. I guess that is the sort of thing I fear and what sits in the back of my mind and holds me back at times.
05-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #60
Veteran Member

This was a problem for me when I was unsing an SLR. I haven't felt that sense of hesitation using the DSLR as they seem to be everywhere these days. However, other than my family, I don't have much interest in photographing people.

I do admit though a sense of self conciousness does limit my use of a tripod, which I continously admonish myself as stupid. My current plan is to take it out early in the morning, when there are less people around. I'm also going to take a course that will force me to take some of these pictures as assignments, I think that will help as well.

Great thread and difficult, but intensely interesting, topic to post about.