Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 06:04 AM   #1

First DSLR: Used K100, K200, K-m, or K-x?

First Post!

My wife and I have decided to move up to a DSLR after a couple of Canon SD's and most recently a Panasonic super zoom. Top priority is low light indoor photos of our 2 kids (2 years and 5 weeks). The Panasonic is fine for outdoors, but there's something about the noise reduction or edge enhancement that really washes out facial details and it has been driving me nuts since day 1. My wife is frustrated with slow autofocus and the ho-hum picture quality.

After googling "starter DSLR", I quickly gravitated toward Pentax, mostly for the in-camera SR and focusing motor. I've been watching prices on Ebay for a couple of weeks. Looks like K100 is going for around $250 with the 18-55 kit lens. K-x for around $430 with the 18-55. At first I was leaning toward the K100, with the thought of having some budget left over for a dedicated indoor low light, no flash, inside of 10 feet lens, like the new DA 35. But.. the allure of new technology like faster autofocus and faster burst rate of the K-x makes me rethink. I'm also not ruling out the K200 or K2000, but for best low-light, it sounds like K100 is a better option? I don't think I need the weather sealing of the 200. For me, the low light performance is more important.

So, any suggestions? Get the less expensive older camera and save some cash for an additional lens? Or do I go with the high iso performance of the k-x and live with the kit lens for a while? Or a different direction completely?

Thanks for your help. This site is great!

Rob

05-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the K-m which has strange artifact which is getting noticeable from iso800 upward. You might be better off with K-x or K-r. Older models which have dreadful low light AF, are better avoided. For batteries, stick with Sanyo Eneloop or the new XX.
05-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you can afford the K-x, i'd say get one. I've both the K100D & K200D and while they were good buys, they weren't measuring up to my requirements. The K20D is a couple of steps above the K100D, maybe a step above the K200D (faster autofocusing). I can only imagine how well the K-x is since I don't own one.

Both the K-x and K-r reportedly have much much better low light ISO than previous versions.
05-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Go for the K-X,you may be able to get one from a reliable dealer for around $500.They work so well in low light it is almost unbelievable.
Jake

05-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As you can see from previous posts, the K-x is highly recommended for lower light, I'd say two or three steps ahead of the other cameras you list. The other cameras are fine for other purposes, but any money saved on the body will end up spent on a superfast lens to get the same lowlight shots, or a flash.
05-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
JHD
Veteran Member

Another vote for the K-x.
05-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum
QuoteOriginally posted by rcicerch Quote
For me, the low light performance is more important.
Definitely the K-x out of the ones you've listed! You might want to check this forum's market place. I've seen a few K-x for sale from people upgrading to K-5.

Or do I go with the high iso performance of the k-x and live with the kit lens for a while
New generation 18-55 kit lens (K20D and up, I believe) is a very capable lens. It may not be in par with the Limiteds or DA* but you will be surprised what it's capable of despite being a "kit lens". Main difference between a DA-L 18-55 kit and a regular DA18-55 is the kit's plastic mount, lack of Quick-Shift focusing and lens hood. Otherwise they're optically identical.
Have a look here:PENTAX Photo Gallery

Cheers!
05-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can only speak for the Kx and I can say it is one of the best entry-level DSLRs I have ever tried. The IQ (especially the high ISO capabilities) are on par with some semi-pro - pro cameras that cost 3-4x as much, it is extremely comfortable in my hands, and I can go on but the spec list is too long to list. A used Kx can be had for less than $400 with the kit lens and you cannot go wrong with it.

05-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
As you can see from previous posts, the K-x is highly recommended for lower light, I'd say two or three steps ahead of the other cameras you list. The other cameras are fine for other purposes, but any money saved on the body will end up spent on a superfast lens to get the same lowlight shots, or a flash.
I agree on this..
..although I have had no problems with my K100D Super so far getting low light shots
05-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The only two choices I'd consider are the K-x or K200D. The both the K-x and the K200D are better in every possible way than the K-m/K2000, and the K200D is better in every possible way than the K100D (including low light performance, although people who haven't done direct side-by-side comparisons often believe otherwise)..

But the K200D and K-x offer complementary strengths. The K200D offers weather resistance, significantly quieter operation, and the option of a battery grip and a few other features the K-x lacks. The K-x offers somewhat better high ISO performance (somewhere between half a stop and a full stop by objective testing, although again, people who haven't made direct side-by-side comparisons often believe the difference is greater), as well as some AF improvements, plus Live View and video.

I'd say the K-x makes more sense if the top priority is high ISO performance, but you should at least consider the tradeoffs versus the K200D. There are no tradeoffs with the other cameras; they offer no advantages over the K-x or K200D.
05-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #11

First Post!

My wife and I have decided to move up to a DSLR after a couple of Canon SD's and most recently a Panasonic super zoom. Top priority is low light indoor photos of our 2 kids (2 years and 5 weeks). The Panasonic is fine for outdoors, but there's something about the noise reduction or edge enhancement that really washes out facial details and it has been driving me nuts since day 1. My wife is frustrated with slow autofocus and the ho-hum picture quality.

After googling "starter DSLR", I quickly gravitated toward Pentax, mostly for the in-camera SR and focusing motor. I've been watching prices on Ebay for a couple of weeks. Looks like K100 is going for around $250 with the 18-55 kit lens. K-x for around $430 with the 18-55. At first I was leaning toward the K100, with the thought of having some budget left over for a dedicated indoor low light, no flash, inside of 10 feet lens, like the new DA 35. But.. the allure of new technology like faster autofocus and faster burst rate of the K-x makes me rethink. I'm also not ruling out the K200 or K2000, but for best low-light, it sounds like K100 is a better option? I don't think I need the weather sealing of the 200. For me, the low light performance is more important.

So, any suggestions? Get the less expensive older camera and save some cash for an additional lens? Or do I go with the high iso performance of the k-x and live with the kit lens for a while? Or a different direction completely?

Thanks for your help. This site is great!

Rob
I got the k-x for your sort of situation. It's been a great camera. Sorry I don't have an in depth review. They're all over the place, but as a real owner, real shooting indoors kind of person and lots outdoors too, the k-x has done well. I only own kit lenses, if that helps.

I didn't like that it didn't have a rechargeable battery like the k-r does and that it doesn't have focus points in the viewfinder.
05-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

What do you mean the K-x doesn't have a rechargeable battery? It takes AA's, and rechargeable AA's are easily available at pretty much any store that sells any sort of selection of batteries at all. That's actually one of the big selling points of the camera. Sanyo Eneloop are the usual recommended brand, but any brand of low self-discharge "hybrid" AA rechargeables work just about as well, such as the Duracell "precharged" cells you can get just about anywhere.
05-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
What do you mean the K-x doesn't have a rechargeable battery? It takes AA's, and rechargeable AA's are easily available at pretty much any store that sells any sort of selection of batteries at all. That's actually one of the big selling points of the camera. Sanyo Eneloop are the usual recommended brand, but any brand of low self-discharge "hybrid" AA rechargeables work just about as well, such as the Duracell "precharged" cells you can get just about anywhere.
I mean it didn't come with one. It is an extra expense.
05-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I mean it didn't come with one. It is an extra expense.
That's true, but rechargable AA can be used in flashes and many other devices. Also, a set of Eneloop will cost $10, while an extra li-ion will cost $30-50. If you will be out in the wild, you can load yourself with enough lithium AA to get by. Rechargeable li-ion don't hold their charge too well so it can be a problem if away for too long.
05-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #15

In any case, to the OP, from experience, if you get the k-x, get some rechargeable batteries or you'll spend a small fortune - trust me.