Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #1

RAW image quality question

I was looking at dpreview and saw that the k-5 had better image quality than almost any camera and was equal to the pro Nikon and Canon in RAW image quality (not jpeg).

Isn't that RAW quality the most important thing? Isn't that "better" than jpeg quality if you are post processing your images and can't you get better jpeg quality than the camera anyway if you are good enough?

05-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes. Yes and yes.
05-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See your other thread for more on this.
The RAW and JPEG comparisons have been discussed many times on this forum.
It would behoove you to do a search and read up on it or just search the net in general about the differences and applications of the image formats.
05-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
See your other thread for more on this.
The RAW and JPEG comparisons have been discussed many times on this forum.
It would behoove you to do a search and read up on it or just search the net in general about the differences and applications of the image formats.
I don't think I asked clearly then because I'm only talking about RAW image quality between different cameras. I understand the benefit of shooting RAW versus JPEG. But if RAW is better on one camera won't that mean I can get a better jpeg in the end, if I do my own PP?

05-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
But if RAW is better on one camera won't that mean I can get a better jpeg in the end, if I do my own PP?
RAW data is just a dump of what the sensor sees when the shutter is pressed. Different camera makers use different defaults for in-camera processing of the RAW data to a JPG, and you can of course use your own in-camera settings. If you can outsmart the camera and its design engineers, you can get 'better' JPG's from your PP work.

More importantly, you can get different JPG's than the in-camera processing can provide. Whether those differences are 'better' is an aesthetic matter, not engineering. What you think you see, what you want to see, and what the camera sees (if anything), are all different. With RAW, you get to work with what the sensor has, and make it produce what you want to see. I sometimes generate a couple dozen different JPG's from one RAW file. Which is 'better'? That depends on how I want the picture to look.

Overall differences in IQ will depend on how that sensor was engineered, and the lens of course. So yes, a 'better' sensor implementation will allow you to make 'better' JPG's, whatever 'better' means to you. But unless you're doing technically critical work, it likely doesn't really matter.
05-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I was looking at dpreview and saw that the k-5 had better image quality than almost any camera and was equal to the pro Nikon and Canon in RAW image quality (not jpeg).

Isn't that RAW quality the most important thing? Isn't that "better" than jpeg quality if you are post processing your images and can't you get better jpeg quality than the camera anyway if you are good enough?
I didn't read every word on dp review, but my impression was that they thought the K5 was an excellent, but significantly overpriced, camera. I didn't see where it was considered having equal image quality vs. current-generation full-frame cameras.

Paul
05-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I didn't read every word on dp review, but my impression was that they thought the K5 was an excellent, but significantly overpriced, camera. I didn't see where it was considered having equal image quality vs. current-generation full-frame cameras.

Paul
If you look at the sliders on the final page it has the k-5 the same as the pro-level cameras on raw image quality....whatever that means.