Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #1

Pentax K-r Status Screen: cannot turn off on startup

Every time I switch my Pentax K-r on, the rear "status screen" comes on.
This is extremely annoying, especially in the dark.
It goes off after 30secs, but you can switch it off by pressing the INFO button twice. However next time I switch camera on, the status screen comes on again.

I do not want it to come on at all.
In the menu there is a "STATUS SCREEN", but all you can do is change the display color.

You can set the "Guide Display" not to come on, but this does nothing to "status screen":
According to the pentax manual p274, "setting the guide display time", you can set it to 3,10,30 sec and OFF.
Mine is on OFF.
Also, on p24 it says about start-up display: "To not show guides, set [Guide Display] to [Off] in the [Set-up 1] menu.

So nothing works to switch it off !!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there really no way of switching it off?
It is not just annoying, it is a waste of power too.
I upgraded to firmware version 1.01 - still no solution.

I found a website which states:
"The display can be switched off, and through the camera's Memory setup this can be made the default after power-up as well".

I went to my MEMORY menu, and there is a box beside "Shooting info display", and it is not ticked.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Frederik; 05-27-2011 at 10:50 PM.
06-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You are shooting yourself in the foot. Set the Memory -> Shooting Info Display option to ticked 'on.' Press the Menu button once to back out of the option screen, then press the shutter release half way to get into the camera mode.

Also, you want the "Guide Display" switched off in the setup menu - sounds like you've got that already. If not, turn that off, then get back to camera mode.

Now press the 'Info' button until the screen goes dark. Don't press it again.

Now switch the camera off, then on. Blackness.

The Info button switches among three states: status screen, control panel, and blank. (See pg 25 of the manual.) The only way to bring up the control panel is to press the Info button when the status screen is showing. However, there are two ways to exit the control panel - either press the Info button, which sets the screen to blank, or half press the shutter release, which sets status screen. If you want not to have the status screen shown when you switch the camera on, then you have to make sure that it wasn't showing when you turned the camera off - in other words, exit the control panel by pressing the Info button. If you exit the control panel with the shutter release, you have set the status screen to show, and it will come on when you turn the camera on.

In the Memory menu, ticked 'on' means the camera remembers what you had set when you switched off; unticked means the camera restores the default setting when you power-on. For the status screen, the default is "shown," so un-ticking this option will cause the status screen to show all the time at power up.
06-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks !!!!!

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH !!!!!!

This works, and now I understand. I am really so happy about this, it annoyed me so much, and I thought it was not possible.

I love my Pentax !!!