Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 03:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5 and 43 focusing noise

I've been shooting for some time with a Sony R1. Very quiet focus and zero shutter trip noise. I came to appreciate this.

When I read about the K5 someone mentioned how much they liked how quiet it was. I thought to myself, "good!". Yesterday I received my K5 and 43 (presently my only lens) and I have nothing to compare it to except the silent R1. The 43 is quite noisy when focusing, a bzst buzzing sound. Is this normal?

The other thing I've noticed that may be inconsequential is that the single red diode that lights when focusing is not centered in the viewfinder. It's still within the cirlcle defined by the two superimposed arcs at the center of the viewfinder but it's very noticeably off to the left side of center. It bugs me. It should be centered in a $1400 precision tool like the K5. Has anyone noticed this? Maybe a QC issue?

Thanks for considering my quibbles.

05-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep.. It's normal. You'll hear that same noise with ALL screw drive focus lenses. If you want quiet, you'll have to pony the cash for the SDM (Pentax) or HSM (sigma) lenses.

I personally have never paid much attention to the focusing noise but I guess it does bother some people. The optics of the 43, especially on the K5, more than make up for it in my mind.

Pentax FA43mm Limited - a set on Flickr

05-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What Jeff said. as for the focus red dot in the viewfinder, thats letting you know what the focus point is set too, you can have it as center,auto 5 point, auto 11 point, or manual select via the four way controller. Check what setting its on
05-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice wintry scenes in your Gallery

But yes, the screw driven lenses make noise. As the other person said, you do need to go with hsm or sdm lenses to complement the soft shutter sound of the K5. But many people don't mind the sound.

05-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Every time I play with the daughter-in-law's Nikon D300s with the 70-200mm lens I'm impressed by the silent focus. But, using her old 50mm screw drive lens sounds much like my Pentax. I'm sure your K-5 and 43mm are just fine, any screw drive lens makes noise, some more than others. The reviews that say the 43mm is quiet, are based on the noise from other lenses.
05-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bluekorn Quote
The other thing I've noticed that may be inconsequential is that the single red diode that lights when focusing is not centered in the viewfinder. It's still within the cirlcle defined by the two superimposed arcs at the center of the viewfinder but it's very noticeably off to the left side of center. It bugs me. It should be centered in a $1400 precision tool like the K5. Has anyone noticed this? Maybe a QC issue?

Thanks for considering my quibbles.
Are you using AF select or Auto? If you are using AF select you can move the AF points using the four navigation buttons. Otherwise, I am no sure what you are referring to.
05-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Yep.. It's normal. You'll hear that same noise with ALL screw drive focus lenses. If you want quiet, you'll have to pony the cash for the SDM (Pentax) or HSM (sigma) lenses.
or 18-135 DC
05-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
or 18-135 DC
....which is an SDM lens. So is the 17-70. Both are regular DA type lenses with the 18-135 having the edge IMO due to being weather resistant and a little faster on the wide end. On the other hand, the 17-70 is f4 throughout and constant aperture is sometimes more desirable to some users. I have no experience with either lens but both are options if you want a less than first born cost quiet AF zoom. If you want SDM in a 'normal' Prime, currently your only option in the Pentax line is the DA*55 f1:1.4. It is an APS-C only lens however.

05-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
....which is an SDM lens.
agreed