Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #1

Where can I get USB cable, software for Optio T10?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello;

I just bought an Optio T10 camera from an eBay auction. The seller did not send the USB cable that connects to my computer.

There is a USB cable on amazon dot com that looks like it might work:
Amazon.com: Pentax I-USB7 USB Cable for the Optio WPi, WP & S55 Digital Cameras: Camera & Photo

But I would like to have one today.

Question 1). Does the Radio Shack or similar chain retailer have a USB cable that will work for the Pentax Optio T10?

I need to download software for my computer. I have found this page on the Pentax Imaging web site:
Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

The above page does not have a download link for software for the Pentax Optio T10 camera.

Question 2). Can somebody provide a link where I can download the software?

Thanks.

05-28-2011, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to be sure the cable is working, you must buy an USB cable specially manufactured for Pentax devices. General use cables and cables from/for other camera manufacturers may or may not work.

Unfortunately the camera manufacturers introduced these cables BEFORE the standard for micro USB was officially approved, and added some ideas of their own in regard to the connections the cables make. You probably know that the USB plugs have more possibilities to connect than the standard actually uses. The manufacturers have utilized the "unused" connectors for special purposes, but not all of them in the same way.

You CAN buy cables which just connect 8 lines 1:1 instead of 5 lines (at 3x the price of an ordinary cable), but even then you could not be absolutely sure - Pentax could have used some cable crossing (I don't think they actually have).

I am successfully using cables from eBay where the sellers assured they had been delivered with Pentax equipment. And I payed only half of what I would have payed in any german shop.

Sorry, I just realized you need the cable today, so my answer was probably not very helpful.
05-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The official CD coming with the T10 may hold 3rd party software, and Pentax may have payed only for a licence to deliver as a package together with a camera. Offering it on their website would mean they would have to pay an additional fee for every download.

I myself was a victim of the much discussed "Optio 60" software problem. This camera had a unique feature: you could use it as a high-tec webcam or surveillance device (you wouldn't call it hitec today). But the driver needed was only licensed. For a while it was offered on the Pentax site, and also on douzens of mirror servers everywhere. Then it vanished from the site, and only days later it also had vanished from every server around the world, making all the hundreds of links dead links.

On german blogs it was reported that now Pentax Germany offered the CD for more than € 40.- (!)
I ended up in winning a broken Optio60 on eBay, including the disc, for € 3.50 (plus postage).

Conclusion: If it is the same situation as with the Optio60, you may not find the software on legal sites; you could look for links to half-legal file sharing sites, but you have to be quick, as they tend to be found and deleted within some days after uploading.
05-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
RKKS08;

Thanks for responding to my question. Is there any other software, that would be easier to find, that would work with the Pentax Optio T10 camera?

Thanks.

05-28-2011, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

This may be your best bet for software:Genuine Pentax Optio T10 manual & software | eBay

For the cable, I-USB7 cable used on Pentax digital cameras (both dSLR and P&S) is an 8-Pin Mini-B with (1-Pin/3-Dead/4-Pin) configuration just like the second from left on this picture:File:Usb connectors.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
It's a little "rare" type of port and may be hard to find over-the-counter.

If you must have something to download your pictures (now) then this maybe your best option: Walmart.com: Targus USB 2.0 SD Card Reader: Digital Cameras
I assume there's a Walmart somewhere in your area.

Cheers!
05-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
K57XR;

Thanks for the help. I just bought one of the software disks off of eBay. Thanks again.
05-29-2011, 04:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I wrote this answer BEFORE having another look at the forum, so it is obsolete. I'm still posting it, just in case:

I don't know what's on the CD of the Optio T10, but I own the Optio models 60, S5i, and A40, and I used to own the S4 and the A10, and they all hold roughly the same software:

1) A digitized version of the camera manual as a PDF file. You can get these HERE:
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/optio-t10.pdf
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/optio-t10_pc.pdf

2) A PDF reader (usually the Acrobat Reader which was newest when the camera was introduced); nowadays it's on every computer, or you can easily download it).

3) Several kernel drivers which will enable operating systems to recognize the memory card in the camera when connected to the computer by USB, and to use it like an USB stick. With a fairly new camera like the T10, the software interface should be standard and modern operating systems will recognice the card without any special software. The driver was needed with 1rst generation USB connecting cameras and/or older operating systems like Windows 98, 98 SE, Millenium, and 2000. You should not need it. You also could just take the memory card off the camera and put it into a card reader - many users prefer this.

4) A 3rd party program to transfer, view and organize your pictures. For P&S cameras, Pentax always uses a version of ACDSee. You can use any other program you like, everyone has his own preference. I think there are threads on the forum about this subject.

5) A program to modify your pictures in a very basic way (colour, contrast, sharpening, red-eye removing, etc.); as the Pentax P&S don't offer raw format, Pentax also uses ACDSee (or an add-on). Again you can use any other program, see (4).

6) Some version of quicktime to display movie clips (this is needed if the correct codec has not been installed). As Pentax recently has switched to DivX/mp4, there may be a codec for this format instead (I don't know about the Optio T10). You can get the codecs from many sites (be careful from where you download such codecs, have all malware detection switched on, and make a virus scan of the files!).

Last edited by RKKS08; 05-29-2011 at 04:13 AM.