Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #1

skipping pictures while forwarding film

My mom gave me her Pentax Super ME so I've been trying it out. The problem is that when I go to advance the film and try to take a picture, I end up having to advance a second time before I can get it to take the picture. Basically I'm only getting half of my 24 exposures. I'm not sure if it's a loading problem, or a camera problem or what.

05-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums.

Do you see the rewinder on the left side (as you look at the rear) turning when you wind the camera? If yes, then chances are you loaded it properly. When you wind the camera, you have to make sure you push the lever all the way until it stops. Also, Is the Meter working? Are you sure the Mirror is not getting stuck in the up position?

05-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, the rewinder turns as it's supposed to, and yes I make sure the lever is all the way.

How do I find out about the mirror?
05-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Take the lens off and look. You should be able to see your reflection in there.

When you trip the shutter, the mirror should flip out of the way, let the film expose, and then flip back down. I've had ME Supers where the mirror got stuck in the Open position but it's usually tied to a dead meter.

05-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

When you trip the shutter, the mirror should flip out of the way, let the film expose, and then flip back down. I've had ME Supers where the mirror got stuck in the Open position but it's usually tied to a dead meter.

On the ME Super I just bought, the mirror stuck up because of the foam above it. It was sticky and caused the mirror to stick up and the 2nd curtain to not go down all the way.
05-30-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You might need to get it cleaned lubricated and adjusted (CLA) that usually takes care of most issues especially if the camera has been sitting for a long time without use, these cameras are just like anything mechanical they need occasional maintenance. the foam in these cameras that seal out the light breaks down over time and requires replacement, there are threads on step by step DIY procedures and kits for the foam replacements for these cameras on the internet, just Google it all and I am sure it will come up for you.
Hope this helps.
05-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
Actually a lube job probably would do it some good. It's bee sitting in my mom's closet for almost 27 years. lol

05-30-2011, 03:46 AM   #8

Original Poster

I checked. The mirror didn't stick, but the next picture still wasn't useable. I'm missing my digital camera right about now.
05-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Since I'm not an ME Super expert, I'm out of ideas. Those were the things that have been wrong with the cameras I've owned in the past, specifically, the ME Super (and ME).

05-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
Since I'm not an ME Super expert, I'm out of ideas. Those were the things that have been wrong with the cameras I've owned in the past, specifically, the ME Super (and ME).

Thanks for the advice anyway! It's more than I would have come up with on my own.
05-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It sounds like it's taking more than one wind of the film advance lever to cock the shutter (I'm pretty sure that's not correct BTW). Are you operating the film advance lever to it's full allowed movement on one go? On some cameras you can do little movements and it will eventually cock the shutter and advance the film correctly, no idea about the Pentax (I have Nikon 35mm film cameras and from memory it likes a single action... doing it in bits leaves it feeling dead in no mans land and you have to push it the full way for it to do it's job). Without a film in the camera, open the camera back and observe the shutter mechanism. It should re-cock with one sweep of the lever. Watching what is actually happening might give you a clue as to whats wrong, allthough it's still going to need a professional to fix it I imagine.
05-31-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Since nothing seems to be sticking, my guess is that the film isn't being loaded correctly. If you don't have or can't find a copy of the manual, see if a camera store employee can show you how.
06-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by billtin59 Quote
Since nothing seems to be sticking, my guess is that the film isn't being loaded correctly. If you don't have or can't find a copy of the manual, see if a camera store employee can show you how.
I have the manual. I have it loaded just the way it shows. It could just be that this camera is really old. It was sitting in my mom's closet for over 27 years.
06-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #14

Original Poster
I FIXED IT!!!!!!!! WOO HOO! I finished off my roll of film, then I took the lens off and opened the back of the camera and cleaned the whole inside of it, and really worked the advance lever and after a while it just started working perfectly!
06-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What did you clean?