Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Carrying big lenses

I recently bought a Tamron Adaptall-2 300mm f2.8 and I am just wondering about the best way to transport it?? Its a big lens, it takes a 112mm filter on the front and the hood is even bigger! Any suggestions?

05-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I recently bought a Tamron Adaptall-2 300mm f2.8 and I am just wondering about the best way to transport it?? Its a big lens, it takes a 112mm filter on the front and the hood is even bigger! Any suggestions?
I use a 300/2.8 sized bag for my A*400/2.8 and it works wonders but was not cheap. You can save money by taking a pass on the optional side pockets they price with it.

[L311] Compact Long Lens Case
05-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi littledrawe,

I have 3 300/2.8 lenses and I have acquired a few bags to carry them. The first is a Tamron sling bag that was made for your lens. I got it in an ebay auction for @ $17. The second is a leather sling bag that will just fit my FA* 300/2.8 which is larger than the Tamron. I stole this from my sister. The third is a case that I believe was designed to carry about 100 CDs in jewel cases. This one is a pretty tight fit on the hood, but it closes, it's padded, and has both a carrying handle and a shoulder strap. There's also a side pocket that I can put TCs, tripod plates and other stuff in. I got this at a garage sale for $2, and it's probably my most used bag for these lenses.

I'm always on the lookout for bags that aren't designed for photo stuff, but will serve various purposes to lug my photo gear. Sometimes these end up being better suited, and cost tons less, especially when they are put on closeout. They also have that stealth factor -- don't look like expensive photo gear, so they're less likely to be targeted by thieves.

For carrying the lens mounted to the camera, the most comfortable setup I've found is the Cotton Carrier. I often have carried one body with a 300/2.8 on the chest module and a second body with either a 180 macro or 300/4.5 on the side. The cameras don't swing around or bang into your body, and the vest distributes the weight very well. I've tried a lot of different ways to carry, and this one is one of the best, but there are new ones being designed as I write this, so I may be behind the times with the CC.

Scott
05-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Where are you carrying it? My largest hand-holdable lens is the Lil'Bigma 170-500 which came (new) with a shoulder-sling bag -- which is NEVER slung over my shoulder. I may transport it in my car, wrapped in a sweater until I stick it on the camera. If I'm carrying it, it's always on the camera, unless I've swapped for a shorter lens, in which case it's stuffed into my teardrop Ameribag. (Doesn't look like a camera bag.) I use no vest nor sling, so when it's mounted, I just hold onto the sucker for dear life.

05-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hiking in the mountains

Like everyone else, I am going to try and get out this summer as much as possible. The two most likely scenarios for me are hiking in the nearby Uintah/Wasatch mountains and then boating on Lake Mead. It always seems like I see some bighorn sheep or something like that when I am there. While hiking I will probably have my son on my back in a baby backpack which prevents me from using a dedicated camera backpack and then on the lake there is the obvious concern of all the water so I need something to keep the lens w/ camera attached most likely. The Kinesis long lens case seems like the most functional for me at this point. I had never heard of them until suggested here and with all the searches I have done on camera bags they might want to get on board and have their name connected to some of those terms being searched.