Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K7 focus or printer problem or software?

I know this may some stupid, but I am having issues with prints being out of focus. My K7 is showing in focus (at least to my old eyes), my laptop using elements 9 is showing in focus, but when I make prints (8.5 x 11) epson 1900 they are printing out of focus.

I just set all this computer gear up in the last couple of weeks. I set the color preferences in elements to photoshop as recommended by epson. I have double checked my settings and everything is where it should be. Now I am at a loss to figure it out.

Anyone with suggestions?

05-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe the photo is being scaled to fit the page? Make sure the resolution is upsampled prior to printing so that you can print to fill the page based on the file itself.
05-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

By the way this should probably be moved to the printing section.
05-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
What do you mean by upsampled? and how to I move this to the printing section?

05-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You don't; a moderator does :-). I'm not entirely sure yet that this *is* a printer issue, though, so I'm leaving it here for now.

What I'd say is this: there is no way a picture that was actually in focus could be made out of focus by printing. But it's certainly possible that an image that *appeared* sharp in the camera or on a low resolution computer screen might show its true colors if printed large enough. It's also possible that you have inadvertently downsized the original from its original 14MP to only enough pixels for screen display. There's a lot to understand about about how digital imaging works, and unfortunately, once you get into printing, it becomes difficult to diagnose online, because we can't actually see your prints. You might want to find someone nearby who can actually look over your shoulder to see what you might be doing wrong.
05-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice Marc. I'll have to see who I can find for local help.
Anybody in the Edmonton area that can help please PM me. Thanks
05-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Without seeing any of it (I'm a Long way from Edmunton), I am going to guess that your print software is upscaling your file to fill a page, as Adam suggested. Find one of the freebie file host upload sites and upload one of the files you are having trouble with, As it stands when you try to print it.

For instance, if your file is suitable for a 4x6 print, and you are in fact printing it at 8x11 (or whatever) you are stretching everything to the point where it won't appear sharp. It's also possible that the photos aren't sharp to begin with. You should figure 240-300 pixels per inch (PPI) for a decent print. So if your file ls (using 300) 1200x1800 pixels, it is good for a 4x6 print, maybe a little larger. For 8x11, it needs to be 2400 x 3300 pixels to get the same resolution quality as the 4x6. Get the picture?

05-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff. My file sizes for printing are usually around the 19x17 and over 400 PPI. I am begining to think it just might be me, and what is looking in focus on the camera and the computer to me might actually not be and I'm just noticing it when I print it.
But to be on the safe side I think I'll see if I can find someone a little closer than Michigan (be a hell of a drive and I'm sure with lots of pics ) for some one on one advise.

05-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Ok, then you understand printing. I was a bit unclear on that.

Good luck..

06-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
Problem solved. I need to replace my glasses. Sent a file copy to a friend who informs that the picture is out of focus. Damn I hate getting old.