Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #1

Problems with used K10d

Hi all,

I recently bought a used K10d from B&H. It did not come with software or a manual, so I downloaded the manual and finally received the photo lab software. I am having trouble now with my computer recognizing the camera...I understand I need to update the driver, but I am a little unsure about how to go about this when my computer wont recognize it as a camera. It gives me a Windows error 43.
I am assuming that its the firmware I need to update. Can someone explain how to get around this? It would be a great help.

Thanks!

05-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't have a K10, but have a K100 and K200. My computer recognizes them as external hard drives. There should be no firmware updates involved, unless you're talking about updating the firmware in the camera. But that has nothing to do with the camera being recognized by the computer.

Having said that, I never attach the camera to the computer (except initially to see if it worked), I just use a card reader.

Paul
05-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What version of Windows are you running?

IT Should just connect to the camera treating the camera as a USB drive.

05-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #4

I have always used a card reader. This is the easy way of copying Your files to computer. I never liked how the software tends of creating problems in recognizing the camera. This kind of problems are usual with any kind of camera. I have used Fuji, Panasonic, Pentax and others. With a good card reader, you can read a lot of cards: SD, SDHC, CF, miniSD, MS etc so... why not?

05-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by marinb Quote
I have always used a card reader. This is the easy way of copying Your files to computer. I never liked how the software tends of creating problems in recognizing the camera. This kind of problems are usual with any kind of camera. I have used Fuji, Panasonic, Pentax and others. With a good card reader, you can read a lot of cards: SD, SDHC, CF, miniSD, MS etc so... why not?
With a (supplied) USB cable, Windows Explorer should pick it up as an external hard drive. No need for additional software or hardware to read the card. I don't know what error 43 is on windows but it's also possible that the card is too big for your computers USB port to recognize. That's why it would be helpful to help you, if we knew exactly what you are dealing with.

There's a reason why keeping the card in the camera is a good idea.

Reason one

Reason two

Last edited by JeffJS; 05-29-2011 at 01:26 PM.
05-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
I am running Windows 7, and now the computer is not registering anything when I plug into the USB port. I have 4GB PNY Optima card in the camera. I don't have a card reader, and at this point really didn't want to get one as I don't even know if I will be keeping the camera.

I am really frustrated at this point.

Any suggestions?
05-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #7

Original Poster
Nevermind! It seems my usb cord was bad.....put my husbands in and it is now working! Thanks everyone!
05-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Always look for the weakest possible link (even I didn't think the cable could be roached ). Great that it's solved. Now let's see some pictures!